Training with scolioscis?

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
My wife recently told me my spine curves to the side in the thoracic vertebrae region and I have had pains there particularly after deadlifting or heavy shrugs.
Does anyone here have experience of training around scolioscis and in particular take any preventive measures for reducing symptoms?
I haven't had this diagnosed as I am worried about implications it may have for my job so this is purely theoretical.
On a side not I know the great lamar gant, probably the strongest guy pound for pound there has ever been, had this condition and he cooed just fine

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd love to hear others people's thoughts on this as well....I have scoliosis, so far working around it for me, involves doing more uni-lateral leg moves with BB & DB's...plus leg presses...before doing any traditional squat movements so my spine doesn't take nearly as much of a beating...otherwise, I DO feel pain in the spine...deadlifts, I'm slowly bringing those back into play...find that sumo style is more forgiving on the spine...

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
I have only recently noticed this intense pain in my upper back after training deadlift so I think I need to start prehabbing rather than rehabbing later in life. I have found lots of stretching helps, and have recently incorporated extended duration hangs at the end of most sessions. I would be particularly interested in hearing from those who train for powerlifting or strength sports as that is where I am at

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It depends on the degree of scoliosis, some people do not report problems and are asymptomatic.

Recommending things with structural problems over the internet is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. I would personally go to a chiro or osteopath and see what they say.

On a side note, I used to work with a trainer who had scoliosis and took it on his own back to try and correct it using specific unilateral exercises. As an example he would work out the attachment and origin points for muscles attaching to the spine and work them in hope that they would shorten and pull the spine back into position. Personally I thought it was a ridiculous idea, trying to cause unilateral imbalances in the lats, traps and rhomboids to rectify a problem he was born with.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have only recently noticed this intense pain in my upper back after training deadlift so I think I need to start prehabbing rather than rehabbing later in life. I have found lots of stretching helps, and have recently incorporated extended duration hangs at the end of most sessions. I would be particularly interested in hearing from those who train for powerlifting or strength sports as that is where I am at
Are you sure the pain is from the scoliosis and not down to another problem such as thoracic kyphosis or disc compression?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just as a novel side note, and perhaps an example that you can still perform damn well even with scoliosis...Usain Bolt has scoliosis.

Br

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It depends on the degree of scoliosis, some people do not report problems and are asymptomatic.

Recommending things with structural problems over the internet is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. I would personally go to a chiro or osteopath and see what they say.

On a side note, I used to work with a trainer who had scoliosis and took it on his own back to try and correct it using specific unilateral exercises. As an example he would work out the attachment and origin points for muscles attaching to the spine and work them in hope that they would shorten and pull the spine back into position. Personally I thought it was a ridiculous idea, trying to cause unilateral imbalances in the lats, traps and rhomboids to rectify a problem he was born with.
heh, that's interesting...back in college training days, I also attempted to go about trying to correct mine: stretching on a ab/swiss ball, hanging upside down, rows, etc...obviously didn't correct it....stupid spine...

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
Are you sure the pain is from the scoliosis and not down to another problem such as thoracic kyphosis or disc compression?
Not sure. Maybe. I have just noticed the curvature in my spine and perhaps mistakenly put 2 and 2 together and got 5.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Post your question there

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Those are called muscle energy techniques, and with a structural scoliosis they will be non effective.

However, they are very usefull in correcting functional (nonstructural) abnormal spinal curvature... not to mention a myriad of other osteopathic malalignments such as those in the sacroilliac joints

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
That is a good long read that I will have to take time to pour over. Thanks for the link
I just meant you can post any questions or concerns there. I wouldnt expect anybody to read that whole thread lol. No problem bro

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
What about scoliosis caused by flat feet? I recently foundout last year I was severely flat footed. Hey I didn't know how bad and serious it was after all NO ONE EVER TALKS ABOUT FLAT FEET even though it is very common. So, I was never checked for it ever my whole life. You think a damn doctor could tell....anyway I developed a curve in my spine during my mid teens and I figured this was probably cause by my flat feet. I have just recently got the right shoes and insoles and they help ALOT. So, I was wondering now that I am actually walking the way I am supposed to, will these shoes and insoles help straighten my spine at all? My curve was diagnosed an 11 degree curve. It's not an S style curve thankfully.