Is it okay to work muscles if they are very sore after resting them for a day

Ripped_Effect

Ripped_Effect

Awards
I worked my chest, triceps, and shoulders the day before yesterday and they are still sore as hell. I just want to know if it is safe or will it cause injury or some other negative effects on my muscles.

seccsi

seccsi

Awards
  • Established
Some light exercise with minimal eccentric activity will probably speed recovery. That said if you're really sore you probably need to take a full day off. It's not that you can't work past any soreness it's just sore as hell is not a sign you need to go after those same muscle groups again.

Either a light workout with the goal of speeding up recovery for these muscle groups or at least another day off, probably a few.

Ripped_Effect

Ripped_Effect

Awards
Thanks bro, I guess I'll have to move on the legs, my least favorite work out. :)

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
I worked my chest, triceps, and shoulders the day before yesterday and they are still sore as hell. I just want to know if it is safe or will it cause injury or some other negative effects on my muscles.
At first it may be difficult for you (i'd suggest going light) but your body WILL adapt to it as long as you've got enough calories/macro's. I'm a perfect example as i train 2-4 hours/day 3-4x a week currently (while dieting too) I've still made strength gains and it has been approximately 1 month and now i do not get as sore or not sore at all and yes, i continue to add weight to the bar every workout. It's just those first few weeks suck in terms of soreness. I started with a 3x a week training style and it worked really well but I've been adding volume and frequency over the past month and the progress is a lot better. Just takes more sacrifice on your time!

P.S. I plan to train body parts 2x/week this winter for my bulk, checkout my log if you want to just see the numbers :)

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/177205-thetinyguys-all-out.html

Hope this helps!

greekgeorge

Awards
  • Established
It depends on your beliefs, several programs bib beyond belief and hypertrophy specific training use the idea of major lactic acid build up to be a muscle creating catalyst, the body see's the inflamation and must work to reduce it by growing. Than you got the dc training thought being the opposite. Try both- I loved HST so I see no problem training sore muscles as long as your getting stronger than it doesnt matter- a stronger muscle is a bigger one and thats the thought of both dc style and high volume stuff. I mean look at oldschool programs like john grimmek and even arnold they constantly trained on and off juice and kept growing fine. in the end its your nutrion and strength that determine overtraining

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
Its just a rule of thumb not to work a muscle if it is still sore. Like others have said, you can do light resistance or full body cardio/calisthetics such as swimming to process the lactic acid. Ive never heard of of lactic acid being a catalyst of muscle growth.

Its debated whether delayed onset muscle soreness is secondary to lactic acid production or microtears in muscle sarcomeres. I say after a hard resistance workout, a muscle needs AT LEAST 48 hours rest. The bigger and stronger you are, the more weight you lift, the more rest you need.

I also agree with the guy who said increase calories to expedite recovery.

Stri8ted25

Stri8ted25

Awards
What usually works for me, and it has been working well, is "listening" to my body and trying to gauge when I have recovered enough to train those muscles again. It is important to note that because everyones body is different, each persons recovery time will differ as well. What is great tho is that with time your bodys recover time will decrease and allow you to work a muscle 2 maybe even 3xs a week. Know that smaller muscles like your biceps will recover the quickest, and larger muscles like your back and legs will take longer.

Arnold even says in his book (bodybuilding encyclopedia) to be carefull not to put extra stress on your muscles by doing lots of sports or chores like yard work so your body can fully heal.
"Don't run when you can walk. Dont walk when you can stand Dont stand when you can sit. Don't sit when you can lay down"