Uneven Back Mobility?

DataCaliber

Awards
I've been struggling to even out my back and would appreciate some input. Here's the problem, my right side can be pulled farther back than my left. Basically, I can chicken-wing it deeper and get a better "squeeze". Now, some of it may be do to the fact that my right size is larger and so I feel it more when I squeeze my shoulder blades, but I don't think that I'm imagining it. I can definately feel that the movement is "different" when I do dumbell rows even with low weight. FYI, this has been a problem for awhile now, all started after about 6 months of deadlifting without switching alternate grips. (I know, stupid).

Any ideas or input would be appreciated because I've got nuthin. :( Just assume that I've done nothing to fix it, or that I've done it all wrong. I want to start from square one.

Thanks ahead of time,
Dale

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
um, 6 months of deadlifting with the other grip should do :D

But seriously, I would try to incorporate some serious stretching into your routine, and maybe work your weak side harder and go easy on the stronger side for a few months to see what happens.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Deep stretches, chiropracty and deep tissue massage. DT massage is great for evening out muscle imbalances caused from overuse of one group. If the right sideof your back is truly more developed then you need to tailor your lifting to even this out somehow.

My advice is take care of it before it causes a serious injury. Imbalance always leads to injury.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I used to have the same problem. When I would do a front lat spread and look in the mirror, I noticed that my left front lat was A LOT smaller than my right. Looked VERY stupid...lol..

After that, I incorporated heavy-ass chins with an overhand grip....now my problem is very minimal at best...

That's just what worked for me though, so maybe you could look more into your routine and go from there. When I do regular deadlifts, I always use an overhand grip for both hands...and when I added in my chins, I reduced volume with my BB rows...

If you need help with a better back routine bro, lemme know...

DataCaliber

Awards
Been up since Midnight...blah

I used to have the same problem. When I would do a front lat spread and look in the mirror, I noticed that my left front lat was A LOT smaller than my right. Looked VERY stupid...lol..
I've been doing one-handed pulldowns and my lats seem to be evening out which is good. However, my right trap(s) > left trap(s) due to my inferior scapula adduction on the left side.

What I've worked up so far is doing deep stretches for the traps/lats/shoulders/chest. The thing is, when I do the doorway chest stretch from exrx.net I feel a pain in my left lats which is far from dull...this mean anything? Also, I'm gonna do some scapula retraction exercises(basically squeezing your s. blades with resistance). Hopefully that'll help increase my mobility.

Quick Q: Should I do this on off days or after my workout?

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing one-handed pulldowns and my lats seem to be evening out which is good. However, my right trap(s) > left trap(s) due to my inferior scapula adduction on the left side.

What I've worked up so far is doing deep stretches for the traps/lats/shoulders/chest. The thing is, when I do the doorway chest stretch from exrx.net I feel a pain in my left lats which is far from dull...this mean anything? Also, I'm gonna do some scapula retraction exercises(basically squeezing your s. blades with resistance). Hopefully that'll help increase my mobility.

Quick Q: Should I do this on off days or after my workout?

If you're talking about deep-tissue fascia stretching, then only do them once/twice/month and stretch the muscle that you've worked that day immedialtey after you train it and have a nice pump going. If it's not that, then I got nothing for ya. :) cuz I don't know what exactly you're reffering to.

BUT in all honesty, I don't see why fascia stretching would cause one to even out their symmetry...it just doesn't make sense to me....it would however let you grow more, and then if you were to prioritize, it would get to your goal much faster, but if only doing just the stretches w/o any prioritizing, then it ain't gonna happen...

If you just want more flexibility, then doing some easy stretching every so often will help.