Deload - wow I underestimated this

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
just wanted to share that if any of you are not deloading - try it.

I did it by 'accident' sorta. I pulled something in my lower back on a Monday (Squat) so for the rest of that week I took it easy, like real easy, the following Monday it still hurt so I for the rest of that week I took it easy... I hit the gym but low weight, half as many exercises, etc...

So yesterday I still felt it in my lower back but only barely so I decided to try and squat, figured I would go light and see how it felt. Felt fine, so upped the weight, felt fine, upped the weight, felt fine... did 5 reps of a weight that I could only do 2 reps of 2 weeks ago. All my working sets increased so far this week and expect them to across the board. Sure I add a little weight each week but this week was able to add more than usual.

I think every 8 weeks I am going to take 1 off.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
i just did this... about 2 weeks ago... and when i returned to the gym initially, i was weak as **** for about 5 days... then this past week my strength has shot up and i set a new squat pr of 435

pablogdog

pablogdog

Awards
  • Established
my strength has shot up and i set a new squat pr of 435
Nice!

I try to work in a deload week every 12~16 weeks. It's tough to stay out of the gym, but I'm always happy with my progress after a week off.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
i just did this... about 2 weeks ago... and when i returned to the gym initially, i was weak as **** for about 5 days... then this past week my strength has shot up and i set a new squat pr of 435
Sweet! Gotta feel good.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice!

I try to work in a deload week every 12~16 weeks. It's tough to stay out of the gym, but I'm always happy with my progress after a week off.
That's a hell of a long time to go between deloads. I go 5-6 weeks at the absolute most.

pablogdog

pablogdog

Awards
  • Established
Really? How long do you deload and do you do any training at all while you're on it?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's a hell of a long time to go between deloads. I go 5-6 weeks at the absolute most.
You don't need to deload that frequently if you're not on a very strength-oriented program.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The problem is that you're thinking deload=time off from the gym and it's not. Deloading is when you only do 50-60% of your 1RM for sets of 3-5 on the core lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press). I haven't had a week off from the gym in months and, barring injury, won't be missing any time soon.

pablogdog

pablogdog

Awards
  • Established
I've read different definitions of a deload including yours, and all for different reasons. I like the way I'm doing it now, but I'll probably give this a try and see how it fits. Thanks for the info.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
The problem is that you're thinking deload=time off from the gym and it's not. Deloading is when you only do 50-60% of your 1RM for sets of 3-5 on the core lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press). I haven't had a week off from the gym in months and, barring injury, won't be missing any time soon.
I was still in the Gym, not time off. I guess I just feel like its time off when I deload.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
You know i literally had the exact same thing happen to me today, i had a slight muscle strain in my lower back from doing either Stiff leg deadlifts or having to lift a fridge but the pain set in last weekend i think saturday by wednesday it was gone.

Now the lifting aspect, i had done Stiff legged deadlifts 2 weeks ago then a kinda wimpy leg day with leg press and other machines a week and a half ago on thursday. I continued to run for the past 3 weeks but hadn't squated in 2 weeks and today i went in thinking i was gonne be down in weight and i banged out 5 more reps on all my weights since the last time. Hit 245x14 for first time since winter (not much weight but for me its good to be back) i stopped there not wanting to go to heavy and possibly cause some pain.

I think a week off here and there is good i still ran 3-4 times a week just didn't do legs and it was the strongest my legs have felt in a while.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
You know i literally had the exact same thing happen to me today, i had a slight muscle strain in my lower back from doing either Stiff leg deadlifts or having to lift a fridge but the pain set in last weekend i think saturday by wednesday it was gone.

Now the lifting aspect, i had done Stiff legged deadlifts 2 weeks ago then a kinda wimpy leg day with leg press and other machines a week and a half ago on thursday. I continued to run for the past 3 weeks but hadn't squated in 2 weeks and today i went in thinking i was gonne be down in weight and i banged out 5 more reps on all my weights since the last time. Hit 245x14 for first time since winter (not much weight but for me its good to be back) i stopped there not wanting to go to heavy and possibly cause some pain.

I think a week off here and there is good i still ran 3-4 times a week just didn't do legs and it was the strongest my legs have felt in a while.
Nice!

Movin_weight

Movin_weight

Awards
  • Established
There are numerous ways to deload while not leaving the gym. I typically just pick a week or two and go high rep low resistance for all exercises

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
There are numerous ways to deload while not leaving the gym. I typically just pick a week or two and go high rep low resistance for all exercises

Thats kinda what I did... I did half as many exercises and just low weights and more reps... and it paid off nicely.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Although it's technically a deload, I think everyone would benefit from a technique day where they use the same weight as a deload, but focus 100% on technically perfect reps.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I ALWAYS look to be in my best shape after a good break. It's almost like my phsyique has time to settle (mature?), as physiologically incorrect as that may be haha