muscle fiber depletion

N

njsurfer507

Awards
was wondering if anyone knew if muscle fibers can be depleted or decreased from drugs. at the start of september last year i took prozac to help my depression induced by accutane. while taking it i noticed my chest lost its shape. ive always had a very gifted chest genetically. it had great shape inner, outer, upper and lower. when i took prozac i noticed i completely lost my inner chest. no matter what i do, i cant seem to build it back up. if anyone has any help on what happened i would appreciate it.

R

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
With the exception of aging and traumatic damage, no. As one ages satellite cell and myonuclear concentrations in type II fibers decrease which causes atrophy of those fibers. Also with aging, fibers don't always get reinnervated once denervated and typically the type II fibers that are denervated are reinnervated with a type I motoneuron leading to sarcopenia.

N

njsurfer507

Awards
With the exception of aging and traumatic damage, no. As one ages satellite cell and myonuclear concentrations in type II fibers decrease which causes atrophy of those fibers. Also with aging, fibers don't always get reinnervated once denervated and typically the type II fibers that are denervated are reinnervated with a type I motoneuron leading to sarcopenia.
so you dont think theres any chance prozac caused any fiber depletion? my chests serious just lost its shape all at once. im trying to find out what happened. maybe low test?

R

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
so you dont think theres any chance prozac caused any fiber depletion? my chests serious just lost its shape all at once. im trying to find out what happened. maybe low test?
Unless there is a link between prozac and neuromuscular remodeling, no.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Does prozac have anti-muscarinic (Sp?) properties? If so, it may have reduced the ability for the nerves to innervate the muscle fibers...but you would have witnessed an acute drop in strength everywhere followed possibly by loss of mass.

My guess might be the lack of drive that is often associated with SSRI use, and reduced intensity of workouts leading to the loss of muscle. Or, its all in your head.