Anyone have better luck doing curls before deadlifts and doing deads last?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Anyone have better luck doing curls before deadlifts and doing deads last?

I'm thinking about doing this since after I do deads I feel wore out and feel like going to sleep.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

I don't usually do curls and deads in the same workout. Personally I like to do main lifts like squats, deads, bench, first as they require the most energy and concentration. I'd much rather be fresh for a set of deads than for a set of curls.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  174 lbs.

I do my deads last since the take everything out of me and i can barely stand much less do effective curls after them. FWIW i think that if you need fresh bi's on your deadliftd then you're doing them wrong...
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

I thinks its pretty much standard that squats and deads come first, if you do them, as they aid in test secretion.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Deadlifts are a multi-joint movement...much like a bench press or squat as stated above; whereas the curl is more of an isolation exercise. To make a quick comparison, you wouldn't do tricep extensions then go underneath the barbell for bench press would you? It's counter-productive, a majority of the time anyways. I find it fun to mix things up a bit every once in a while by doing isolation exercises (short sets like 6-10 reps X 2-3 sets) just to pre-exhaust my hamstrings. However, as your hamstrings fatigue, a lot of the load is transferred to your lower back. If you're lifting heavy...that's a problem.

I wouldn't do it often, but it's a fun way to keep things fresh. Just my opinion.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

Arms and isolation movements are last in my WO's, seems to work better for me.
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

when i do a split like back and bi same day, i alternate. curls then deads, back to bis then a back workout...etc
  8. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I'm thinking about doing this since after I do deads I feel wore out and feel like going to sleep.
    Steeve Reeves
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.

When I was doing deads on back day I would do them last because by then I was very warmed up and I found that my poundages didn't really go down by much. At the same time, I wasn't very concerned about how much I was lifting as much as I was about making sure I was giving a total effort. I don't do weight lifting competitions so I've never cared about the numbers.

If you're doing heavy back work, you don't need a lot of biceps training, just a little bit to work them through a full range of motion.

And being that the biceps are engaged to do a lot of work during deads, I would train them afterward. You may not be able to train with as much weight, but it's not like your biceps didn't have to do a lot during your back training. Just tack on a couple sets of full ROM training (BB curls, incline DB curls, or whatever).
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Type O Hero View Post
    When I was doing deads on back day I would do them last because by then I was very warmed up and I found that my poundages didn't really go down by much. At the same time, I wasn't very concerned about how much I was lifting as much as I was about making sure I was giving a total effort. I don't do weight lifting competitions so I've never cared about the numbers.

If you're doing heavy back work, you don't need a lot of biceps training, just a little bit to work them through a full range of motion.

And being the the biceps are engaged to do a lot of work during deads, I would train them afterward. You may not be able to train with as much weight, but it's not like your biceps didn't have to do a lot during your back training. Just tack on a couple sets of full ROM training (BB curls, incline DB curls, or whatever).
    I switched back to ez bar curls and that seemed to help out a lot.
  11. Banned
    Stats
    5'6"  192 lbs.

I used to do deads last in my workout I would be too worn out and easier for me to get injured. I started doing them first so i can use better form and concentrate harder. I like to work back by itself.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Well I foundout why I have been feeling so tired after deads and during the day in general. I have moderate sleep apnea. I'll be getting a cpap soon, but I have to go back for another sleep study. You know all this bs you have to go through when dealing with doctors. Anyway hopefully I'll be able to deadlift soon and progress better after I get the cpap.
  13. Registered User

you should have more energy because of better sleep quality after you get used to mask or nasal prongs what ever you choose . iam a respiratory therapist and have heard this from many patients i see.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by fidoslim View Post
    you should have more energy because of better sleep quality after you get used to mask or nasal prongs what ever you choose . iam a respiratory therapist and have heard this from many patients i see.
    Yeah, it's been working pretty good. I still get headaches from time to time, but no where near as bad as before.
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Yeah, it's been working pretty good. I still get headaches from time to time, but no where near as bad as before.
    Glad to hear you are getting the sleep issue worked out. I JUST went to a sleep doctor this past week. Getting a sleep study done in 2 weeks.

As far as the original question I would say it depends on your goals. If it is hypertrophy I would say deadlifts last with higher reps. If it is power then deadlifts 1st going heavy. I personally prefer to go heavy on deadlifts.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

Ive found that combining the squat and deadlift with dumbells, as the first exercise, is a time saver and a definate rev-up for the second exercise, Bench press. After 3 sets each of those a guy is primed. Workouts without some version of squats, seem to be deficient some how. I can only say that because I stopped squatting for years.
  17. Registered User

I do em last. at the end of my back W/O. Good and warmed up by then, less risk of injury
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.

I START my back days with dead-lifts going as heavy as I can for six reps. I, like many others, feel that this exercise is taxing and requires a lot of focus. If I were to do these at the end of my workout, I think I would be too unfocused.
  19. Registered User

I START my back days with dead-lifts going as heavy as I can for six reps. I, like many others, feel that this exercise is taxing and requires a lot of focus. If I were to do these at the end of my workout, I think I would be too unfocused.
    Never had a problem w focus, I take Acetyl L-carnitine as a good neurotransmitter supplement. DAA probably help w that as well. As for doing them last I got the training regimine from: Shawn Ray's Champion Back Training by Kevin Neilsen.
    1.Chins 2. Cable Rows 3. Bent over BB rows 4. T-bar row 5. Deadlifts

Sometimes i mix up the bent over rows and t-bars w other exercises and Might do deads every other back w.o. But gotta have those chins and cable rows every time
  20. Registered User

Grip strength is so important with deads. You want your core/legs to fail before your bis or grip does.

Deads first for sure. "Isolations" later. 100% imo
  21. Registered User

Grip strength is so important with deads
    ever consider straps?
  22. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Stri8ted25 View Post
    ever consider straps?
    I use them when my grip fails, usually by the 3rd set.

Deads build grip/forearms better than forearm isolation work for me
  23. Registered User

Deads build grip/forearms better than forearm isolation work for me
    Yea deff. dead and shrugs are great for that
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. stiff leg deadlifts vs leg curls
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-17-2010, 02:38 PM
  2. Dumbbell Deadlifts or Smith Machine Deadlifts?
    By Dath in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 03:40 PM
  3. Whats better for forearms, reverse curls or hammer curls?
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 08:16 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 11:01 AM
  5. Deads vs partial deads?
    By T-Bar in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 07:35 PM