Grip strength...

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
How many of you guys target your grip strength as a priority?

I've just started doing this one excercise to better help me in that area. I get a 4.5 foot straight BB and load it up with an appropriatte amount of weights. I pick it up with one hand and hold it as long as I possibly can. I've been able to do this with 150lbs for almost 1.5 minutes. Granted I just started doing them, but I think it's really helping in forearm and bicep development.

A question, does anybody wear gloves? I don't cause I think that they'll hamper grip strength, but lately I've been getting some serious damage with calouses. I've always had them to begin with from lifting/yard-work, but now they're getting outa control. Should I start to wear the gloves or rather take a pumice stone and moisturizer? You see, grip is one of my main priorities, and I'd like to keep it that way and not have other things effect it in any sort of way.....any thoughts?

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
In my opinion, calouses go along with the grip strength. What good is it to have a super strong grip but break your skin doing it? I have an "all natural" kind of mentality when it comes to lifting though so I may be wrong. Maybe wear the gloves all or half of the time and incorporate a forearm exercise?

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I'm anti-glove as well... anything that builds forearm strength will help with back strength. Me... I'm partial to drumming as a forearm workout :D I got the most improvement in grip strength by doing as much of my back day and SLDLs without wrist wraps, I only use them when I really feel that my grip is the limiter on "failure."

ManBeast

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
How many of you guys target your grip strength as a priority?

I've just started doing this one excercise to better help me in that area. I get a 4.5 foot straight BB and load it up with an appropriatte amount of weights. I pick it up with one hand and hold it as long as I possibly can. I've been able to do this with 150lbs for almost 1.5 minutes. Granted I just started doing them, but I think it's really helping in forearm and bicep development.

A question, does anybody wear gloves? I don't cause I think that they'll hamper grip strength, but lately I've been getting some serious damage with calouses. I've always had them to begin with from lifting/yard-work, but now they're getting outa control. Should I start to wear the gloves or rather take a pumice stone and moisturizer? You see, grip is one of my main priorities, and I'd like to keep it that way and not have other things effect it in any sort of way.....any thoughts?
I do a similiar thing every so often. I consider it more of a test than an exercise tho. I just grab a 100 lb DB in each hand and hold!! Mental strength comes in handy here because you want to drop them after like 30 seconds. The longest I've ever been able to hold is around 62 seconds (my buddy times me). Its a lot of fun, and I promise you that you will get some strange looks :thumbsup: ...I've also done some farmers walks as a metabolic exercise, and those put a hell of a strain on the grip strength.

Kinda reminds me of the Strongman events where they hang above a swimming pool from a pull-up bar, although this is a bit different b/c some back muscles are recruited.

Chunky

Awards
It's not a priority, but I train my grip like every other muscle, once a week. I do bb hold, ironmind gripper, and I do exercise for wrist strength.

I think a strong grip is one of the most impressive thing and can help you in everyday activities, so yes Im training my grip as seriously as any other muscle.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Interesting thoughts guys...I'll look into those grippers too.

Thank you..

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
Just put in an order for those grippers. There listed as 19.99 but are on sale for $8. I got the level 1, and 2 grippers. What level are you on. Hopefully I didn't need to start w/the trainer.:D

Chunky

Awards
Just put in an order for those grippers. There listed as 19.99 but are on sale for $8. I got the level 1, and 2 grippers. What level are you on. Hopefully I didn't need to start w/the trainer.:D
Probably not. When I ordered mines, my mother was able to close the trainer pretty easily lol ;) My grip strength sucks those days, and I was almost able to close the 200 lbs.

You will see, if you are really serious about grip, it will increase fast.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have an Ivanko super gripper and it has a **** load of tension. I can barley close it when both springs are moved the hole way to the top

Strateg0s

Awards
  • Established
Good quality, if you mean sturdy. But as for things like a luscious foam grip, you're out of luck. Also, it's not quite as good looking as the Captains of Crush ones. But if you are concerned with grip, how concerned are you with effeminate considerations like looks and softness?