Broken Barbell

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.

Broken Barbell

Just last night I was working out and my barbell collar came unscrewed from the weight part of barbell. This is not the barbell collar that holds the weight secure its the one that the weight meets when you first put it on the bar. Now it wont screw back on. Its either striped or broke im not sure which. Has anyone had this happen to them before and know how to fix it?

Im hoping to not have to buy a new one but if thats my only fix then guess thats it.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.

Not sure - but I would guess that a mig welder would sort it out - if you got a mate with one.....
  3. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by GaDawgs29 View Post
    Just last night I was working out and my barbell collar came unscrewed from the weight part of barbell. This is not the barbell collar that holds the weight secure its the one that the weight meets when you first put it on the bar. Now it wont screw back on. Its either striped or broke im not sure which. Has anyone had this happen to them before and know how to fix it?

Im hoping to not have to buy a new one but if thats my only fix then guess thats it.
    One of our barbells here is like that - that part is completely broken out (or off, whatever way you want to look at it), but the barbell itself is still usable, although not the one I use if I'm only doing one exercise requiring a barbell. If I'm doing a superset or alternate set, etc. where I need a barbell for both exercises, I sometimes use it - you just have to show the weight right up to it and push the end to make sure it connects and completes. If it's a huge issue, just weld it back together.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    One of our barbells here is like that - that part is completely broken out (or off, whatever way you want to look at it), but the barbell itself is still usable, although not the one I use if I'm only doing one exercise requiring a barbell. If I'm doing a superset or alternate set, etc. where I need a barbell for both exercises, I sometimes use it - you just have to show the weight right up to it and push the end to make sure it connects and completes. If it's a huge issue, just weld it back together.

~Rosie~
    Thanks Rosie! yea ive basically got it snugged back together, but not welded. Still does its job but if it gets to be a major problem then going to have to weld it.
  5. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  122 lbs.

Thanks Rosie! yea ive basically got it snugged back together, but not welded. Still does its job but if it gets to be a major problem then going to have to weld it.
    No worries Another thing I do if using that barbell for something is to alternate my sets re the broken side (i.e. first set it's on the right, the next on the left, etc.), to ensure that I am "balancing" out and not making one side work more (if applicable), if you know what I mean.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  6. BBB
    Stats
    5'8"  192 lbs.

Rosie you’re a rather amazing individual. You hang around these forums with all of us crude guys listening to all the foul language and viewing all lewd pictures yet you maintain your feminity never lowering yourself to our level. You have my respect.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

If it ever does become too much of a pain in the ass or if you ever get a new bar, you could always use it to beat the **** out of a tire/your lats with.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.

You can get a shaft collar for it. They just slide onto the bar and tighten down with an allen wrench.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Barbell Only.....
    By AnthonyIOSOS in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 05:40 AM
  2. barbell row vs one arm row
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-23-2009, 02:51 AM
  3. Broken Jaw - Need help
    By TheKaz in forum Recipes