back pains ???

hiphop

Awards
hi i was wondering if this is a common thing with exercising ?
i have only been working out for a couple of weeks just the basics.

shoulders
pecs,
arms,
6pac

and already im getting back pains around my lower back, now im not sure if
i should start doing lower back exercises which are trmendously painful with my bad
back or is it a common problem.

i dont even do my delts without supporting my back against something so i was wondering
if this is a common problem or is it just me ?? :( thanks

rebo

Awards
Ive had back problems for 5yrs,but ive been able to lift around my back.I cant do direct back exercises.I have a bad disk in my lower back.Ive learned what i can and cant do over time.I also have a good doc.As for abs i can do weighted crunches and cable pulldows but i dont do any leg lift type exercises(it strains my back).I do cardio which helps my abs more than anything else.I cant do regular squats but i can do wall squats with little pain on my back. I made the mistake of only doing upper body for 2 yrs and it actually hurt my back more in the long run as i became top heavy a little putting more strain on my back.Id suggest adding some type of leg exercises if you can do them without alot of pain.And i hope you have a doc(a good one).My doc is all for weight lifting and tells me if i can do an exercise without hurting my back,then go for it.Hope this helps some.

fiddler

Awards
hi i was wondering if this is a common thing with exercising ?
i have only been working out for a couple of weeks just the basics.

shoulders
pecs,
arms,
6pac

and already im getting back pains around my lower back, now im not sure if
i should start doing lower back exercises which are trmendously painful with my bad
back or is it a common problem.

i dont even do my delts without supporting my back against something so i was wondering
if this is a common problem or is it just me ?? :( thanks
You shouldn't be experiencing pain unless you are doing something wrong or have an old injury. Did you do something to your spine? bad disc or something?

fiddler

hiphop

Awards
thanks rebo lucky for me i have naturally built legs which is partially why i do do legs, but also because i play football once - twice a week and for the 2 odd hours i play i figure i give them enuff exercise then. but thanks for your input and i will look into doing legs to prevent back problems.

i have never had back problems before that is generally one of my stronger areas naturally do you think it could be a slipped disc or a bad disc ?? and is there anything i can do about it ?? thanks

it did used to be worse, im now about 14 stone and before i went upto 16 stone and was training hard and my back felt like it was close to collapsing, i couldnt stand up for 5 mins without having to find somewhere to sit :( and then i stopped because iwas worried about my back and went down to 14 stone again and the pain went but now i have started training again its back (pun not intended):(

PC1

Hey bro........

I'm older than you, I'm quite sure (44). I've lost almost 2 inches in my height (6'6" to 6'4") between the years of 20 - 40. My father has had the same experience. In our case, it's a gradual wearing down of the disks between the vertebrae in the spine.

There are some things I just can't do any more but wish I could. Basketball is one, running generally is also out. Anything that involves a vertical pounding motion is just out of the question.

It's very easy for me to pinch a nerve if I'm not careful. I've done it while brushing my teeth, of all things. Usually my lower back is in a state of feeling stiff and a little sore, just about all the time.

For me, what's helpful is to do squatts and deadlifts but not get too carried away with the weight I use. The heaviest I'll squatt is 255 lbs., the heaviest I'll deadlift is 300 lbs. I can't always get to that weight though. I will only do either once a week. The week I do squatts, I don't deadlift. The week I deadlift I don't do squatts.

When it's not feeling right, I might knock 100 lbs off of either of those lifts. But I have found that by stretching, the use of gravity boots, and with these 2 exercises, keeping the lower back in decent shape, it greatly improves my overall back condition.

If the problem persists for you, you should see a doc and at least understand what's going on.

Best of luck to you.

PC1

hiphop

Awards
thanks fiddler checking out that thread now, WOW PC1 44 well that explains whyyou seemed one of the more mature people i exchanged ideas with on the other thread :) , im actually half of that age which is why im was worried about it.

If its like this at 22 whats it going to be like at 32 - 42 etc, although iwas thinking it might be due to my pecs, arms shoulders gaining alot of mass and that was having a kind of constant pressure on my back which might have weakened it ?? i think i might go to see the doctor and see what she has to say about it, im really hoping its something fixable as i hate it, i cant even stand up for 5 - 10 mins without it creeping it :(.

anyway will visit the doc and let you know what she says

PC1

.............. i think i might go to see the doctor and see what she has to say about it, im really hoping its something fixable as i hate it, i cant even stand up for 5 - 10 mins without it creeping it :(.

anyway will visit the doc and let you know what she says
Walking is SUPPOSED to be good overall for the spine. While it's great that you've packed on some additional mass on your body, I can't imagine that THAT alone is the cause of your problems?!

See your doc, get the XRay and MRI and go from there.

Best of luck bro!