new series

shocknyou

shocknyou

Awards
Well since January I have only been lifting and said screw cardio. I also did two cycles of epistane during that time. I put on a total of 21 lbs and have kept it. Finally I hurt my back which I knew would happen. So I now I have one more week off for recovery on my back. The new series will start off with HIIT for 1 month 5 times a week followed by 1 month of lifting 5 times a week. I will alternate like this for the rest of the year. I figure this way I can reduce my % body fat and try to retain as much muscle as possible. I have a really crazy work schedule so I actually don't have the time and energy to fit a workout schedule that includes both cardio and lifting in the same day to an intensity level that I am happy with. I will follow up on this post with greater detail as I design and begin this series. I will describe my HIIT and lifting routines in greater detail. I will also list some measurements in which to judge my progress. I hope to see some of you follow along.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you knew you were going to hurt your back why did you continue down that route?

And why can't you design a program the encorporates both HIIT and resitance into the same microcycle? I think you'll see better results from concurrent conditioning and resistance training vs. only one at a time. You can always design the program to emphasize conditioning for 2-4 weeks while maintaining resistance and then vice versa.

Just some thoughts

Br

shocknyou

shocknyou

Awards
I continue down the road to back pain because I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. If I workout intensely on a routine basis my back is going to go out but it happens less than if I worked out less intense or not at all. I have tried everything but you can't beat the disease. My discs are deteriorating and there's nothing I can do about it. As far as incorporating both types into a single routine I agree with you that it's better than singling them out. Between my job (on-call 24/7) and trying to be the best dad I can be (3 kids) and trying to workout to an intensity that satisfies me singling the cardio vs lifting is the best option for me.