Puking-why does it occur

JN230

JN230

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
so i have always wondered what makes your body want to vomit during a hard back ro leg workout?

is it over stimulation and over work of the CNS

is it lack of oxygen to the brain due to high volume of blood to the muscles?

what is it?

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol @ this not being answered.

It's the same reason you throw up and dry heave all day if you're hung over - it's the body's most basal, natural mechanism of eliminating toxins. When you're lifting, especially when you're lifting heavy and/or intensely, you're pushing your metabolic system into overdrive, placing a lot of mechanical stress on your body, all causing for lots of toxins to build up in your body - but mostly it's as a result of the ramped up metabolism in addition to the oxygen deficit we build up. For a lot of people, your body will build up toxins so fast you can't eliminate them fast enough (or at least at a rate satisfactory enough for your body) so the body starts to want to vomit.

This is why people who follow high intensity workouts often consume high B6/B12 vitamins (or at least that's why I do). It's also why vitamin water really helps in treating hangovers (if sipped on and not chugged).

deltaj

Awards
funny post couldnt of seen this at a better time,i absolutely shredded legs today and puked my guts out in the locker room haha

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Bro this almost happened to me about 2 weeks ago doing 10 sets of squats (12 if you count the drop sets).
Umm, just based on personal experience I think its couple things:
1) I noticed Im shakey from low blood glucose so a fast carb drink helps
2) Low B vitamins if your closer to the end of the workout
3) Following Torobestia - youre pushing some extremes and there may be a build up in toxins... especially since your heart is pumping harder to reach the farther ends of your body.
4) You might have to ****.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I puked at the beginning of my workout on Monday... Started off with circuits of 15 rep bench with somewhat heavy prowler sprints (320pnds which is half my max right now). Puked 4 times, took a break for 20min, then continued my workout with some compound pulling moves lol... I have a love/hate relationship with the prowler, the thing is nasty but I love the feeling of putting max effort into it.

I'm also doing a CKD right now.. so no carbs around my workouts

I just ordered MST's Ultra Cordygen V02 to see if it will help, pretty sure it will a lot.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
All depends what you're doing. As far as I see it, anything involving crazy circuits can be puke inducing to even the most conditioned pro athlete

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All depends what you're doing. As far as I see it, anything involving crazy circuits can be puke inducing to even the most conditioned pro athlete
Hence the "regularly" part. Yeah, you're right, if you push anyone hard enough they'll reach their limit. I'm just saying that if puking is regular after effect of heavy squats, then anaerobic conditioning needs to really be worked on. :)

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Definitely true. If someone is getting sick on squats, they should work on their conditioning more and/or take longer breaks between sets until their CNS can catch up.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
^^Thats definitely what happened to me on Wednesday last week

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
lol @ this thread. I've never puked from working out. In fact, I haven't puked since I got stop throat one time in 7th grade. Which was like what...13 some years ago, haha :)

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
I'm thinking maybe hypoglycemia...The insulin response from the exercise lowered your glucose levels too low. Symptoms of hypoglycemia are shakiness, head-fog, nausea, vomitting, hot-flashes, and probably other symptoms as well. Those are the main symptoms. I've never puked during exercise (only after running on the track). I'd say to avoid this problem, try consuming carbs during workout (not necessarily a bunch of carbs, but just enough to replace the glucose that is being cleared from your blood by the excess insulin). Just my thoughts on the subject. Very good question though, I'm really curious!

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
lol @ this thread. I've never puked from working out. In fact, I haven't puked since I got stop throat one time in 7th grade. Which was like what...13 some years ago, haha :)
Oh, strep throat...the world's greatest weight-loss program! That is definitely in the top 5 list of the worst illnesses I have ever experienced! We really need to eradicate that ****!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah I haven't puked in years and certainly never puked from exercise. That is just strange. I've pushed myself hard enough to start seeing these strange dots in the air that aren't there. It sort of looks like rain. Also I pushed myself so hard once I've broken blood vessels in the eyes so my eyes were all red. Puking from exercise though, that's weird. I remember those freak kids in the 5th-7th grade that would always puke during lunch. Maybe these guys are those same kids!

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I think hypoglycemia is the #1 culprit in feeling queasy during exercise.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
And lack of oxygen as well. It's only happened to me twice, once when I first started training with a boxer, and another time with the prowler, doing heavy prowler sprints circuited with 15 rep flat bench no breaks.... bench / 200m 320pnd prowler sprint / bench / prowler / sit down on bench / bucket... Was already feeling out of sorts before the workout though, could've been a factor. Prowler does it to many people though...google it and you'll see it's common

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
i puke on a pretty regular basis.... it just means your doing it right

edit: it also has nothing to do with conditioning... i run a 15min 2 mile and im fine

20 rep squats with 315 is a different story

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Also I pushed myself so hard once I've broken blood vessels in the eyes so my eyes were all red.
That's from strain dude... you breathing enough during reps or holding it too long?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i puke on a pretty regular basis.... it just means your doing it right

edit: it also has nothing to do with conditioning... i run a 15min 2 mile and im fine

20 rep squats with 315 is a different story
Absolutely it has to do with conditioning. Running is aerobic, we're talking anaerobic conditioning. Big difference. It's sprints vs. that 2mile run of yours.

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
over heating could be suspect as well

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
Absolutely it has to do with conditioning. Running is aerobic, we're talking anaerobic conditioning. Big difference. It's sprints vs. that 2mile run of yours.
oh i forgot to mention ive also been doing 100yd sprints 2x a week for a few months. my conditioning, aerobic or anaerobic, is on point buddy.

i dont care how conditioned anyone is, if your squatting 75-90% of your max till failure, multiple times, chances are you MIGHT puke

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
oh i forgot to mention ive also been doing 100yd sprints 2x a week for a few months. my conditioning, aerobic or anaerobic, is on point buddy.

i dont care how conditioned anyone is, if your squatting 75-90% of your max till failure, multiple times, chances are you MIGHT puke
Good for you. Work on your conditioning some more though, because personally, I like my calories to help me grow - not help fill the trash can. As I already said, push anybody far enough and they will reach their limit, but if it's easy enough to reach that limit that your reaching it regularly, then something's wrong.

And for the record, I do farmer's walks, weighted carries, and plate pushes on a weekly basis and can run 2miles in sub 12min. Widowmakers with 315, and no puking involved. Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning. ;)

EDIT: you know what? Scratch that, you can disregard everything written above if you like. I'll make this simple. Go to PubMed: when you start showing me scientific evidence that puking on a regular basis benefits an athlete and is NOT an indication of their lack of conditioning, I'll side with you.

Because, last time I checked, only the freshman during hell week puke.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
Good for you. Work on your conditioning some more though, because personally, I like my calories to help me grow - not help fill the trash can. As I already said, push anybody far enough and they will reach their limit, but if it's easy enough to reach that limit that your reaching it regularly, then something's wrong.

And for the record, I do farmer's walks, weighted carries, and plate pushes on a weekly basis and can run 2miles in sub 12min. Widowmakers with 315, and no puking involved. Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning. ;)

EDIT: you know what? Scratch that, you can disregard everything written above if you like. I'll make this simple. Go to PubMed: when you start showing me scientific evidence that puking on a regular basis benefits an athlete and is NOT an indication of their lack of conditioning, I'll side with you.

you might just not be pushing yourself hard enough to puke. theres no reason an athlete couldnt go to the gym, and go as hard as he can and not stop till he pukes. - ive been a wrestler my whole life, i know what conditioning is bud.

did you say you wanted me to post a study about puking being beneficial? nobody said its beneficial.

"post me up der a study or you is lyin" take that garbage elsewhere.

there is a difference between an untrained athlete puking from a workout and a someone like myself, or possibly you puking from a workout.

it does in the end come down to conditioning, BUT you can always up the weight/intensity/volume to create an environment that no conditioning is going to matter.

example.

you do widowmakers with 315

start doing them with 405 ...... and if that isnt enough, go up... you might puke, or just find yourself extremely beat.... but you probably wont allow yourself to puke in spite of me....

im a far cry from a freshman during hell week pal.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
LOL! How did a thread about PUKING become a pissing match!!! :D LOL! I always see this happen, but NEVER thought it would happen in THIS thread! HA! Carry on guys, it's pretty entertaining! In any event, I could see what swollen is saying. I suppose anybody could up their intensity so much to make them puke, but then again, the better way to do it would be to slowly increase the intensity so that when you get to point B, you won't puke! That way your conditioning keeps up with the intensity. That's how I see it, hopefully I explained my thoughts adequately. I am pretty tired. And I was just messin with you guys swollen and Resolve in case I hurt your feelings (although I've seen both of you post MANY times, and learned a TON from both of you, so I do not expect that I did). Anywho, on a side note, does anybody actually know HOW puking occurs under the conditions of sickness? I never really thought about it, but I am pretty fascinated now with the mechanisms the body has that cause it to invoke vomitting.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
When I was playing football, I always puked about 2-3 weeks in. I was going from a swimming season into football - the conditioning was very different and at the time I was that competitive in aquatics. So my conditioning sucks. The first 2-3 weeks were hell but there came a breaking point when i puked. After I did, I'd look up and think "OK, its not so bad." And I was good for the rest of preseason.

If youre gonna puke as an athlete, its only gonna be once to break you in. Anything after that might be a health concern

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
jon.stewart.facepalm.jpg

I beg your pardon?

it does in the end come down to conditioning
Then we agree: Conditioning, conditioning, conditioning. :D

BUT you can always up the weight/intensity/volume to create an environment that no conditioning is going to matter.

example.

you do widowmakers with 315

start doing them with 405 ...... and if that isnt enough, go up... you might puke, or just find yourself extremely beat.... but you probably wont allow yourself to puke in spite of me....

:toofunny: Oh, man, thank you. I haven't laughed that hard in a while. If you're puking before your form gives out, then your conditioning is bad. Or your a powerlifter at a meet and your gut is full of 3 liters of pedialyte. And jumping from 315 to 405 on widowmakers??? :toofunny:

As Organicshadow already said, puking is an indicator of your lack of acclimation to a particular stimulus. It should not be an ongoing issue.

I'm done, I've got the stomach flu and am doing enough puking for everyone in this thread.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
not puking = not working hard enough ..... / thread

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i know what conditioning is bud.

did you say you wanted me to post a study about puking being beneficial? nobody said its beneficial.

there is a difference between an untrained athlete puking from a workout and a someone like myself, or possibly you puking from a workout.

Dem deres fightin words! E-Thugs Unite!

View attachment 40393

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
Dem deres fightin words! E-Thugs Unite!

View attachment 40393
Oh wow, I wonder if someone really took that picture, or if it was photoshopped?!? That **** is hilarious! It's like a train wreck, I just...can't....look....away! LOL! Oh, I'm gonna have to rep you on that one!

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Judging by the posters behind him, I think hes serious.