Deadlifts... Once a week too much?

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This question really applies to all heavy core exercises, but does anyone think deadlifts should be spaced out more than once a week? Normally, I do back on monday and legs on thursday to try to seperate the core movements as much as possible (DL and Squat). Today, I couldn't do my normal weight in straight leg deads (leg day) because my lower back hurt. Could this be because it is still recovering from DLs on monday? Both emphasise heavy extension of the back. Should I lose SL deads and do some other ham exercise instead in favor of my normal deads?

Debaser

Awards
If your form is perfect, it's most likely hip dysfunction that's causing your lower back to hurt. Many people these days have an anterior pelvic tilt. This is correctable.

Deano

Awards
One thing you can try which i do because i have the same problem is to move your deads to leg day. I have a back width day (pull up/downs, rows ect.) and i have a back thickness day (rack deads). I have found (with the guidence from IA that i can not put that much stress on my back more than once a week. This has helped a great deal for me.
Deano

PC1

I think most people who have been training for several years, well beyond their initial strength levels, would find it difficult to recover from doing heavy squatts and deadlifts done in the same week, over the course of several weeks and months.

But the key here is how do YOU feel? From what you've described, you weren't recovered enough after the first workout.

Try NOT squatting during the week you do deadlifts, and NOT deadlifting during the week you do squatts. If you feel better, AND you're making better progress doing it that way, that's pretty good evidence it's working better for you. And that's what counts.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think most people who have been training for several years, well beyond their initial strength levels, would find it difficult to recover from doing heavy squatts and deadlifts done in the same week, over the course of several weeks and months.

But the key here is how do YOU feel? From what you've described, you weren't recovered enough after the first workout.

Try NOT squatting during the week you do deadlifts, and NOT deadlifting during the week you do squatts. If you feel better, AND you're making better progress doing it that way, that's pretty good evidence it's working better for you. And that's what counts.
Bump----> :goodpost:

Debaser

Awards
Many people also have their shoulders rounded forward in the hinged position, and their hips locked into flexion. People if you do your deadlifts without your shoulders retracted you will pay for it later. All this stuff is either preventable or correctable.

kmac6225

king of useless information!!!
Awards
  • Established
PC1 said it best - have a substitute routine/exercise for the week you do DL's and vice versa for the week you do squats

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hmm, that sounds like a good idea. How about switching out deads and straght legged deads from week to week? I'd think they're more identical than squats and deads...

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
or pick one to go heavy on and go light on the other one.

lancelot

Banned
Awards
  • Established
doing DL and squats in the same week just burns me out unless i am on some kind of androgen. i prefer to alternate them since i feel benching is a pretty grueling compound exercise to be doing every week with 2 other heavy exercises.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I almost always do my squats and deads on the same day. But......this only works if the volume is low. Usually one work set apeice. You do NOT have to do both to have them both propsper though. Most find if they squat one week, and do deads the next, both lifts continue to climb. I often do these combos from week to week:

Squat/stiff-legged dead
Squat/rack pulls
Trap bar deads, nothing else
HEAVY sled/SLDL
safety squat/rack pull
Squat/good morning
HEAVY sled pulling/good moring
Traditional dead/light squatting

I could run the above listed combo's as weeks one-eight and each week go up in weights or reps an every lift even though the lifts are different.

Iron Addict

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I tend to have my clients rotate them and their strength continues to climb even though the majority of their program is geared to hypertrophy (sarcoplasmic and/or myofibrillar).

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I've found I cannot recover when doing squats and deads (I do them on seperate days) if they are done in the same 5 day split. Even on cycle this is usually too much of a drain both in the CNS and muscle repair departments.

Pelvic tilt can definitely hinder form and thus predispose one to injury.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
As mentioned, squat and deads can be perform on the same workout day, as long as the volume is kept low. Like a few here, I've also ran into a problem of not being to recover when performing deads with back, squats on leg day. I've tweak with different variation of both exercise and found the combo of front squats/deadlift one week for leg day and back day respectively, and back squats/partial deadlift another week allowed for best recovery within the same week.
Sage