Summer Shape

gironnoah

Awards
I know this has been asked enough, but I have some specifics, hopefully I can get some advise/help. I'm 5"11 about 197, 15-18% BF at 48 years old, my frame is medium. I start a cycle of workout tomorrow and my goals are 1. To get under 10% BF 2. Not lose muscle, gain if at all possible in at least 45 to 60 days.

I'm doing a circuit type training mostly push ups, pull ups mixed with weights, every other day (4 days a week) short rest, 1 day is orthodox weight with long rest between. HIIT 40-45 minutes cardio 4 days and low cardio 2 days. Cardio in the am weights in the afternoon.

My body responds well to low carb, I'm between 40-70g carbs daily (Recovery drinks), I'm now for the first time adding a cycle of EPI to save as much muscle as possible, I've read mixed reviews about doing that, but I got the stuff and am going for it. Any suggestions?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You can not realistically drop over 8% BF in 45-60 days, while maintaining or gaining muscle, with the plan you've listed.

I think your goals are grandiose, and without a proper training plan, you won't get close.

For ongoing weightloss, you need to ramp up / periodize your training so that your metabolism and weight loss doesn't stall. You need to do better planning and have more realistic goals.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
I know this has been asked enough, but I have some specifics, hopefully I can get some advise/help. I'm 5"11 about 197, 15-18% BF at 48 years old, my frame is medium. I start a cycle of workout tomorrow and my goals are 1. To get under 10% BF 2. Not lose muscle, gain if at all possible in at least 45 to 60 days.

I'm doing a circuit type training mostly push ups, pull ups mixed with weights, every other day (4 days a week) short rest, 1 day is orthodox weight with long rest between. HIIT 40-45 minutes cardio 4 days and low cardio 2 days. Cardio in the am weights in the afternoon.

My body responds well to low carb, I'm between 40-70g carbs daily (Recovery drinks), I'm now for the first time adding a cycle of EPI to save as much muscle as possible, I've read mixed reviews about doing that, but I got the stuff and am going for it. Any suggestions?
Don't use the epi. Not yet. I can tell you're inexperienced because you actually believe that exercise regiment you listed will actually get you where you're trying to go! Guys on this website struggle for weeks on end, counting every calorie, to get below 10%. To go from 18%-12% should be much easier though. Figure out your Basal Metabolic Rate (calories necessary to maintain your weight) using online calculators, and then make sure those calories are broken up into somewhere around 40% Protein/40% Carbs/20% Fat (as a starting point), and then adjust as necessary. Realistically speaking, with that amount of cardio, and how far you have to go, you will lose muscle. Just accept it, but minimize it. Recomping is almost impossible (very few have been able to do it), so either pick losing fat or gaining muscle. Remember to decrease calories weekly as you lose weight, because your BMR will be decreasing. Hope I helped buddy! You should look into the Lean Gains protocol, it is working great for me (and I'm only half-assing it right now). I just wanted to make sure you know that you're in for a big letdown with those goals (although commendable). Just take it slower (cardio is overhyped for fat-loss, as diet is the MAIN component), and you'll enjoy your new body more and keep it much longer!

gironnoah

Awards
I forgot to mention that my goal, even to me is unrealistic, but it's a start, depending how my system reacts. I've noticed that there are times that I lose without wanting and times that I just can't, like the body has a mind of it's own. I see yes, I'm not at the level of knowlegde of this board, but I know the simple things such as carbs, low calorie and muscle maintenance. Have not got into gear but am learning right now I want to lose as much as possible, not in competition just into looking good without a shirt. And am looking to do what I can with the time I have. I know I should have started in January but things in life got in the way, have kept up with workouts but now willing to get down and dirty with the nutrition, the workouts are easy.

gironnoah

Awards
my BMR is 1863.90 which shows I'm only 13% BF, don't know how accurate that is, but not as bad as I thought. So maybe it will make it easier.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
I forgot to mention that my goal, even to me is unrealistic, but it's a start, depending how my system reacts. I've noticed that there are times that I lose without wanting and times that I just can't, like the body has a mind of it's own. I see yes, I'm not at the level of knowlegde of this board, but I know the simple things such as carbs, low calorie and muscle maintenance. Have not got into gear but am learning right now I want to lose as much as possible, not in competition just into looking good without a shirt. And am looking to do what I can with the time I have. I know I should have started in January but things in life got in the way, have kept up with workouts but now willing to get down and dirty with the nutrition, the workouts are easy.
I was just getting at the fact that most people, when they set unrealistic timelines, quit once they fail to meet the deadline with satisfactory results, and end up in worse shape than before (which we are not going to allow to happen :D!). Your goals are realistic, just not the timeframe, that's all! Most people lose about 2 lbs per week. Now, I think you did the BMR wrong. It's not supposed to correlate to Body Fat. It's supposed to take your weight, height, age, and sex into account, to tell you how many calories are necessary to maintain your current weight (assuming zero activity). Now, if you take that BMR number, and put it into the Harris-Benedict Formula (which will adjust daily calories in relationship to the designated activity level), you'll find out how many calories to maintain your weight for your activity level. THEN, you can take those calories, and subtract a few hundred to adjust for weight loss, and now you know how many calories you need to lose weight for THAT SPECIFIC ACTIVITY LEVEL. Then, just make sure your macro's are in tune with those calories, and you're well on your way, no steroids necessary! I'm really just trying to help, so I really hope you're not taking my posts negatively!

Try this website: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Hope I helped!

P.S.
By my calculations, your maintenace calories for your anticipated activity level is around 2900 calories.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For ongoing weightloss, you need to ramp up / periodize your training so that your metabolism and weight loss doesn't stall. You need to do better planning and have more realistic goals.
^^ Great point.

What is your current level of fitness? What have you been doing for diet and training the past 2-3 months?

Br

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
not in competition just into looking good without a shirt.
If you don't look good without a shirt, then I doubt you are as low as 18% bodyfat. Where did you get your 15-18% estimate?

gironnoah

Awards
If you don't look good without a shirt, then I doubt you are as low as 18% bodyfat. Where did you get your 15-18% estimate?
Well I guess I could go without a shirt, but it's all in "the eye of the beholder" and I am the most critical in what I want to look like, let's say I'm better than the average bear. To be more specific the top two ab muscles can be defined somewhat. But I want more leaness, I use a gym electrode measuring kisosk, and I know the accuracy of something like that is poor, but if it's within a 7% ratio I can pretty much give myself a "ball park".

I've been pretty much doing good with workouts, not as intense as I want and a lot of layoffs (1 Week) but I run 5mi in 45min on a hot 90F day and on a treadmill (Much easier) do some Insanity 2 times a week HIIT. But eating is poor. So I've been active and can pick up quickly. I believe in running on empty stomach and low carb 40-to 80 carbs, only consumed around my workouts.

gironnoah

Awards
^^ Great point.

What is your current level of fitness? What have you been doing for diet and training the past 2-3 months?

Br
Have been pretty active 5mi runs, some insanity, just poor eating and want to really cut, first priority keeping as much muscle as possible I know it's a paradox but willing to do best effort.