loss of grip?

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
Ok, so third week of working out hard...

today did some pullups to warmup and then I pushed myself on deadlifts and did 4 sets of 5 adding weight each set. then 4 sets of bent over db rows

after that I felt like I couldnt grip a bar confidently enough to keep lifting. this happen to anyone else? Like i feel like I lost all strength in my hands I was going to do barbell rows next but didnt because I didnt feel like I had the strenght in my hands to grip the bar

I hope this is just a fluke! totally deflated...

swan1209

Awards
  • Established
Happens to everyone man, your grip strength will improve with time. I suggest using some lifting chalk to avoid slipping. This way you still develop your grip strength. Once you can no longer grip the bar safely then use the straps to finish your workout if you have to. And as demolition said, don't rely on them too much!

crux

Awards
Ok, so third week of working out hard...

today did some pullups to warmup and then I pushed myself on deadlifts and did 4 sets of 5 adding weight each set. then 4 sets of bent over db rows

after that I felt like I couldnt grip a bar confidently enough to keep lifting. this happen to anyone else? Like i feel like I lost all strength in my hands I was going to do barbell rows next but didnt because I didnt feel like I had the strenght in my hands to grip the bar

I hope this is just a fluke! totally deflated...
If you are training deads on back day, many of us prefer to start with rows (BB or DB) before pulling deads. It warms up your CNS and keeps your low back fresh when doing rows for proper form.

As for grip when deadlifting, use a mixed grip (one hand supinated, one pronated) to keep the bar from rolling out of your hands. As the others said, when you reach a point where your grip is giving out before your primary movers, then use straps to assist.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
thanks everyone - good to know its not just me.. it was totally a deflating moment.

I will switch it up next week and do my rows first. I have straps and used them on my last set of DL's since it was more weight than Ive ever done and it definitly helped.