picking the right routine

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing DC training routine for a few months now. I really like the size gains I've been getting, maninly in my bis, back, and legs. However I've been wanting more of a strength gain than what I feel like I'm getting. I was thinking of transitioning over to rippetoes starting strength I've heard its the best of the strength training routines. However I'm afraid to loose the gains that I've made with DC in size. Should I be worried? Or will the gains stay?

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
Also can someone please post the details of mark rippetoes starting strength? Or if u know any other better strength building routines

uncheelstar

Awards
My go to strength routine is the 5x5 program... everything 5x5 without overdoing it.

Ex: Legs Squat 5x5, Leg Press 5x5, Calf raise 5x3 or 4 and then you are done, but if you do it right, you will leave it all on the floor.

Pyramids are good as well, but sometimes you just have to go in there and do what your body tells you. You may go in with the 5x5 plan but only do 3 sets of 5 and go harder on the next exercise. You could either do one muscle group once a week or go ahead and hit the same muscle group 2 times a week at different angles

Ex: Mon-BB Bench Press, T-Bar Rows, DB Curls, Tricep Push downs
Tues- Legs- Squat, Leg Press, Calf Raise
Thurs- DB Incline Press, DB Rows, BB Curls, Tricep Extension
Friday- Deadlift, leg curls, calf raises

You hit chest twice, back twice, and legs twice with a little arm work.

Or....

One major muscle group once per week

Mon-Chest/tris
Tues- Legs, Quads
Thurs- Shoulders
Fri- Back/Bis

I can get into this split as well if you would like

Hope this has helped

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i like 5/3/1 for strength and size ATM
in 6 monthes ive added 60lbs to my squat and deadlift, and 35lbs to my bench and oh press.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
What is 5/3/1? And how does it compare in strength and size gains to 5x5 and DC?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
its slow progressive program
its easy to find in the powerlifting section here and if you google it
it a 4 day routine based on the Bench, Squat, Press, and Deadlift
idk how it compares to 5x5 since ive never tried it, but ive been doing 5/3/1 for 6 monthes now

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
I honestly think at some point we need to work on writing our own routines and developing on our true calling and weaknesses vs routines someone else designs. Use them as a base but go for your own

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i agree with you here, i personally started with the basic 5/3/1 outline then modified it from there to fit me personally and now i really enjoy it. But it seems hes lookin for a base program to try

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
i agree with you here, i personally started with the basic 5/3/1 outline then modified it from there to fit me personally and now i really enjoy it. But it seems hes lookin for a base program to try
It really depends on goals at the same time to. I dont understand just here's your routine even with a base program

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
well for me personally its strength goals on the big three and overall hypertrophy so a modified 5/3/1 works pretty well, idk about the OP tho

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
well for me personally its strength goals on the big three and overall hypertrophy so a modified 5/3/1 works pretty well, idk about the OP tho
Modified 5/3/1 works great for strength. My girlfriend is on a similar idea that I have given except we do not use percentages. 5/3/1 are all close to maxes. There is some exercise cycling involved and other things, but it works very well for her. I use the 5/3/1 rep scheme in my training but that is about it. I think reps 5/3/1 offer a lot in training.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
well its the first program that ever had progression built in for me, and its making a huge difference as things go along, pretty basic and can be used in almost any routine

Omega

Omega

Awards
ive also been doing a 5X5 strength based routine starting light and adding weight every workout for the last 2 months and made some pretty good gains in both size and strength but i felt squatting 5X5 every other day was too much for my body so i combined it with the 5/3/1 and taylor made it to fit what i think would help me the most.

now that i know the 5X5 works, i can always build off of that.. try everything, and keep what works

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I would say they it works great but it must be tailored to yourself and your weaknesses. Your only as strong as your weakest link.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Seems like you should have waited to go on DC. I have had massive strength gains like I had never achieved with 5/3/1 or westside template, but I also had a great base strength before starting (except on my squat, which blew ass). I don't know what you guys think is "strong," but from what I've read 5x5 is good to get strong, 5/3/1 is good to get stronger.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
DC has just given me size boost. But seing as how ur supposed to use machines instead of many of the main lifts I've been losing strength in those. And my squat also sucked. What's the opinion on using 5/3/1 template for the 4 main lifts and doing DC style negative, rest pausing, beating the logbook and extreme stretches for accesory lifts such as iso movements back movements etc?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
the key of 5/3/1 is that the main movements are the most important.
ALL your other work is pretty much unimportant and should be used to bring up weak points in strength, size, what have you. Play around and keep what works. I say try it for a few cycles and see if your recovering and progressing well.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
the key of 5/3/1 is that the main movements are the most important.
ALL your other work is pretty much unimportant and should be used to bring up weak points in strength, size, what have you. Play around and keep what works.
Yeah, and I think this is one of the reasons I didn't have great success with max effort work in the past - I didn't always attack my weak points (I did sometimes, but mostly by chance more than anything). So if possible I would recommend you lift with a spotter who will be able to notice where your form breaks down with harder/heavier lifts. Based on this you can select the appropriate accessory work.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
I would like to see if this template is ok

Workout a
Squat protocol
Leg curls DC style
Sumo Leg press DC style

Workout B
Bench protocol
Bent over rows 5x5
Dips 3x5

Workout C
Deadlift Protocol
Barbell curls DC style
Chinups 3x5

Workout D
Overhead press protocol
Longbar cable pulldowns DC style
Closegrip bench DC style

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
Is this ok? Feel free to re-arrange the workouts in a way they would work better

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would like to see if this template is ok

Workout a
Squat protocol
Leg curls DC style
Sumo Leg press DC style
Could use some ab work here

Workout B
Bench protocol
Bent over rows 5x5
Dips 3x5
This is fine

Workout C
Deadlift Protocol
Barbell curls DC style
Chinups 3x5
Deadlifts are more hip movement then a back movement so some lower body work would fit better. Ex. Box Jumps, GHR, RDL, Box Squats, also you could use some core work here too

Workout D
Overhead press protocol
Longbar cable pulldowns DC style
Closegrip bench DC style
Id add you chins here, and just superset close grip bench with curls.

My suggestions are in bold
Id do it in an upper/lower fashion. Try to do as much pulling as pushing for healthy shoulders, same goes for hamstring to quad work.
Also how are you gonna lay this out? 4day a week? 3day? 2day? Overall i like you picks alot

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
3 day. Are my picks good? I basically want as much strength as possible IME size comes with strength anyway. And then the additional workouts are to build up the right spots. And to keep the girlfriend happy lol she likes definition

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I gave you my suggestions in bold above, check them. to get as much strenght as possible you will need to 1) focus on the main lifts "bench, squat, dead, oh press" 2) do extra work to make sure you can maximize the strenth on the main lifts "chins, rows, ghr, core work, ect". Id suggest looking of the template layouts to get a good idea of what is usually recommended for this. I like the perizidation layout and i add some supersets and crap to fit my personal needs at this time, later things will change of course.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
Also I would like to add pushups on my chest day for added work but idk if that would be over training

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
dude dont over think this, like i said...the main lifts matter

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
box jumps are when you jump to a box, builds explosive strength without over taxing the cns and allows good recovery. you can use weight and what not
ghr are glute ham raises
rdl are romainian deadlifts

and since you wanna add pushups just add them to oh press day or bench day

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
What ab work do u suggest? I was planning on doin p90 ab ripper on my off days

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
What core work would u recommend on deadlift day to replace chins and curls that I'm moving to OH press day?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What core work would u recommend on deadlift day to replace chins and curls that I'm moving to OH press day?
Basic, what i usually do.
Squat day i do weight crunches or rope crunches
Deadlift day is usually leg raises
both 5 sets 10-20 reps

Seriously google 5/3/1, it will save all these questions and just make complete sense. then of course, thank rodja

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
Revised version looks like this:

Workout A:
Squat protocol
Leg curl DC
Sumo leg press DC
Hanging leg raise 3x10

Workout B:
Bench protocol
Bent over rows 5x5
Dip 3x5

Workout C:
Deadlift protocol
Box jumps 3x8
Cable crunches 3x10
Prone bridge 3x60 seconds

Workout D:
OH press protocol
Chinup 3x5
Standing bicep curls DC (superset)
Close grip bench DC (superset)

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Revised version looks like this:

Workout A:
Squat protocol
Leg curl DC
Sumo leg press DC
Hanging leg raise 3x10

Workout B:
Bench protocol
Bent over rows 5x5
Dip 3x5

Workout C:
Deadlift protocol
Box jumps 3x8
Cable crunches 3x10
Prone bridge 3x60 seconds

Workout D:
OH press protocol
Chinup 3x5
Standing bicep curls DC (superset)
Close grip bench DC (superset)
why did you chose those exercises? What are your weaknesses?

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
I chose those excercizes not because of weakness more because I want to build and maintain mass with strength

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I chose those excercizes not because of weakness more because I want to build and maintain mass with strength
Then you really picked the wrong things. Assistance exercises are to bring up weak points. You have no posterior delt, mid/upper trap, or glute work.

I'll say it one more time: Google 5/3/1.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Then you really picked the wrong things. Assistance exercises are to bring up weak points. You have no posterior delt, mid/upper trap, or glute work.

I'll say it one more time: Google 5/3/1.
Rodja are you refering to movements like face pulls and rear laterals for the mid/upper trap and posterior delts?

and wouldnt rdl and ghr raises work the glutes?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja are you refering to movements like face pulls and rear laterals for the mid/upper trap and posterior delts?

and wouldnt rdl and ghr raises work the glutes?
Yes, things like that in addition to scarecrows, seated DB cleans, and band pull aparts. Those would definitely count, but he didn't list them and I really doubt he'd have access to the proper apparatus or do them with correct form.

IMO, GHR are the most important thing for a strong squat and deadlift.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes, things like that in addition to scarecrows, seated DB cleans, and band pull aparts. Those would definitely count, but he didn't list them and I really doubt he'd have access to the proper apparatus or do them with correct form.

IMO, GHR are the most important thing for a strong squat and deadlift.
care to post some links of band pull aparts and scarecrows???
also are db cleans better then barbell for any reason im missing?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

A band pull apart is just as the name sounds: you hold a band about shoulder-width in front of you and pull it apart as far as you can. A seated DB clean is very different from a BB clean:

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
those seated cleans look way different then a bb version!
and those scarcrows are replacing my rear laterals from now on, looks awsome

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
If you are doing 5/3/1 then pick exercises that helps your weakpoints food keeps size and smart dieting.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
Hey I would actually like to replace the cable curls with ab planks for core work

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
Also can someone please post the correct wave percentages and reps cuz I googled it and have gotten mixed answers

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i use 10% jumps
wave a-65/75/85%x5
wave b-70/80/90%x3
wave c-75%x5/85%x3/95%x1
wave d-40/50/60%x5

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
So on monday I started my first 5/3/1 workout and have a few questions. 1. On my squat I flew through the first few lifts but on the last set of 85% I found it extremely difficult to finish 5 reps with completely going down to the rack and since I don't count shallow squats as full reps I only got 2 what should my next course of action be? 2. Today on bench press day I was able to complete the full workout of 5 reps on all 3 sets but the last rep of bench was extremely difficult and I was not able to do any of the extra reps for more gain. Is this normal since I haven't benched in a while? 3. Is the 5/3/1 formula effective with iso movements as well? Such ass barbell bicep curls?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You obviously didn't look at the real Wendler 5/3/1 template. You made several key mistakes on your first session. Number 1, you didn't base your numbers off of the proper 1RM; you're supposed to take 90% of your 1RM and then calculate your loads off of this number. Number 2, if you're asking to use this on isolation moves, you really need to do some more reading.

The main reason 5/3/1 has caught on so well is its simplicity. You have a tendency to overanalyze and question every element of your routine because you either lack confidence and critical thinking abilities in addition to your inexperience. As with everything, give it some time before you start to shred every minute rep range, grip, or exercise apart and question everything. Oh, and don't be a cheap-ass: go to elitefts.com and buy the ebook. It'll be worth every penny and definitely more valuable than all the supplements you always want to take. Proper training>>>>>>>>Test booster.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prince IronMag Labs 0
Supplements 18
Bulking 4
Learn2swim Anabolics 3
MentalTwitch IGF-1/GH 1