DC training and cardio/cutting

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
So I have been doing a little reading on DC, and I am pretty impressed from peoples reactions, I have not seen 1 person not have results which is pretty cool.

What I am wondering if anybody has done this while cutting and still made gains, whether that be strength or mass?

Jason

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
you gotta go to their website intensemuscle.com there are plenty of threads regarding this. unlike here i wouldnt just fire that question up over there as they will flame you. they expect you to read first and ask questions second. to answer your question it is possible as there are guys over there that do it.

dc rules btw imo

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm making gains with DC on a cut (using no hormonals). I was using fat mobilizers (alpha t2, oep), though, and I think they might have helped in tapping into that energy necessary for the intensity (though I was already an intense lifter). I do highly recommend reading those stickies on their website, though. I mean, some things are truly crucial - like for the widowmaker, you pretty much take what you can do for 10-12 reps struggling and do it for 20, lol.

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
you gotta go to their website intensemuscle.com there are plenty of threads regarding this. unlike here i wouldnt just fire that question up over there as they will flame you. they expect you to read first and ask questions second. to answer your question it is possible as there are guys over there that do it.

dc rules btw imo
Well I don't plan on joining any other sites, I am an AM member only, and I read the dc chapters where to find the info.

I am not asking to be spoon fed how to DC, I am asking has anyone cut on it and did it work well, thats it, I want to do DC but in the spring/summer I do not bulk, and I do not want to waste my first DC experience with cutting if that is the case

Just looking for a few opinions for people who have cut with it

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
I'm making gains with DC on a cut (using no hormonals). I was using fat mobilizers (alpha t2, oep), though, and I think they might have helped in tapping into that energy necessary for the intensity (though I was already an intense lifter). I do highly recommend reading those stickies on their website, though. I mean, some things are truly crucial - like for the widowmaker, you pretty much take what you can do for 10-12 reps struggling and do it for 20, lol.
I did read the stickies, very informative...

Can you elaborate a little more your progress

I have to be honest, haha I am actually scared of doing a DC leg day, I already work up to sets in the 300's on squats and always feel like I am going to die, i cant imagine going to 20 reps, but I do want to try it, and will just not sure when

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have cut NUMEROUS times with DC training over the years. No complaints here. Strength stayed much higher, then previous attempts with more traditional training.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I'm currently cutting...and i only train DC.

DC has changed my mindset and view of training. Volume training has its purposes, but my body has changed the MOST from DC.

You can try the 4 day while cutting - but you may get burned out very quick. Depends on a lot of factors.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I did read the stickies, very informative...

Can you elaborate a little more your progress

I have to be honest, haha I am actually scared of doing a DC leg day, I already work up to sets in the 300's on squats and always feel like I am going to die, i cant imagine going to 20 reps, but I do want to try it, and will just not sure when
Oh yeah, I should try not to mislead you folks. Since I have pretty good recovery I decided from the start to do a 4 day split as follows - upper split monday, lower split tues, break wed (medium intensity cardio), upper split thurs, and lower split friday, with HIIT over the weekend. Two further modifications - biceps on upper split, back width on lower splits since I always do deadlifts or rack pulls for back thickness and hammies so it just makes sense to do this then. The other modification is I only use 2 different exercises (as opposed to 3) for quads, hams, and back thickness. Back width I do use 3.

So here is the strategy I picked up for leg stuff (half of it I got from a friend when I started DC training before I even knew what it was, and other half I developed and feel very comfortable with). And this is for making linear, calculable progress that you can track. You can always change it up. For the squat, work up to a set of 6 reps. Rest, then take 90 off (plate off each side), and do the 20 repper. For leg press, I work up to a 6-8 repper, drop 180 off (2 plates off each side), and do the 20 repper. If you switch squat with hack squat, then I follow the exact same protocol as with squat.

In terms of progress, I mean, I have giant ass quads with definition I've never had before, so that's a good thing (this is an exaggeration but useful in driving the point home). Strength wise I went from a 375 lb 1RM squat to 405 for 6. And that's on a cut, lol.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Personally if you have never done DC, don't start off by monkeying with things. Do it as it is laid out, in the 2 way(3day) split.

I mean I see people bastardize the program so bad it isn't even DC training anymore..lol

I am going to start 5 x 5 soon. Except i am going to do 20 sets of 9.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Personally if you have never done DC, don't start off by monkeying with things. Do it as it is laid out, in the 2 way(3day) split.

I mean I see people bastardize the program so bad it isn't even DC training anymore..lol

I am going to start 5 x 5 soon. Except i am going to do 20 sets of 9.
lmao hey I didn't do any of that.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
lmao hey I didn't do any of that.
haha.

If I am reading your post right it looks like you are doing the 2 way split, 4 days a week. If that is the case, that is pretty far away from what DC is. Additionally changing the core layout, and also dropping to 2 exercises vs 3(what is the reason for this). That is quite a lot of changes, from what seems like right off the bat.

You should at least give the actual 2 way split a try for a good long while before tweaking IMO.

At the end of the day you can do as you like, but for someone starting out on the program, they should most definitely follow it as it is laid out. Dc is very functional as is.

I personally didn't really tweak much for years, and even then I just started to bump my rep ranges a bit, because I found I could progress better that way.

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
This is pretty good feedback so far guys thanks

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
"Well I don't plan on joining any other sites, I am an AM member only"

jaydollars do you think am will ban you or something for joining other sites. besides if you want to know about dc their site is the place to be

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
"Well I don't plan on joining any other sites, I am an AM member only"

jaydollars do you think am will ban you or something for joining other sites. besides if you want to know about dc their site is the place to be
No that's not it, I like AM and don't want to join another site, I think that's fair

But I will be reading up over there, seems they do have the most info

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
haha.

If I am reading your post right it looks like you are doing the 2 way split, 4 days a week. If that is the case, that is pretty far away from what DC is. Additionally changing the core layout, and also dropping to 2 exercises vs 3(what is the reason for this). That is quite a lot of changes, from what seems like right off the bat.

You should at least give the actual 2 way split a try for a good long while before tweaking IMO.

At the end of the day you can do as you like, but for someone starting out on the program, they should most definitely follow it as it is laid out. Dc is very functional as is.

I personally didn't really tweak much for years, and even then I just started to bump my rep ranges a bit, because I found I could progress better that way.
It's not far away from what DC is, by any means. DC is training at super high intensity, frequently, with an emphasis on recovery. By maximizing these three variables you induce the greatest amount of growth per year (or per given time frame) as growth is a function of full repair of the torn muscle. DC's slant is essentially this: progressively pushing beyond mental and physical barriers, without overtraining, through the use of rest-pause sets and negatives with very low volume as to not cause too much fatigue; and phases of blasting and cruising to allow for proper CNS recovery.

My variation of this DC workouts follows these principles. The rest are details, to gear the program to how our own bodies work. Lastly, while I might be contradicting the point I just made the last sentence, I am using the very same program that was laid out for my friend by Dante personally, so at the very least you cannot say it's not DC training.

But as for anyone else reading this, I would actually take imprezivr6's advice. I was just merely elaborating on my results from DC on a cut to the OP per request.

Frank Reynolds

Frank Reynolds

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am using the very same program that was laid out for my friend by Dante personally, so at the very least you cannot say it's not DC training.
Dante laid out a 2way split 4 days a week? I find that hard to believe, I am misunderstanding your split, or possibly other factors. In the 6+ years of being around IM, I have never seen this done ever.

You are saying you are doing:

A:
Chest/delts/tri's/Biceps/back thickness

B:
back width/forearms/calves/hams/quads

Doing it:
Mon-A
Tue-B
Wed-Off
Thur-A
Fri-B
Sat-Off
SunOff

How long did he work with him before he made that change?

What is your reasoning for only 2 exercises on some muscle groups?

I will guarantee DC himself, would tell just about ANYONE to start with the regular 2 way split, unless they were of a super advanced level already, and trying to bring up weak bodyparts.

Last edited: