My proposed routine for you guys to rip apart, enjoy!

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
*Monday (Chest & Tris)*

Incline DB Press-4 sets
Dips-2 sets
Skull crushers-2 sets
Rope pushdowns-2 sets

*Tues (Back & Biceps)*

Wide Grip Chins-3 sets
Barbell Rows-2 sets
Barbell Curls-2 sets
Dumbbell Spider curls-2 sets

*Thurs (Shoulders & Abs)*

Seated Dumbbell Press-3 sets
Laterals raises-2 sets
Cable crunch-2 sets
Hanging leg raises-2 sets

*Friday (Legs)*

Squats-3 sets
Stiff Legged Deadlifts-2 sets
Leg Extensions-2 sets
Standing Calf Raises-3 sets

Stretches will be performed after each bodypart is trained.

Cardio: 3x a week 45 minutes brisk walking first thing in the morning.

Last edited:
JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Other Various stats:

Arm size: 17 1/4"
Chest size: 46"
Calf size: 15" :(
Waist size: 33" (10% bf)
Weight: 193
Goals: 200lb at 9%

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
It looks ok. I would throw in barbell rows for back though.

Dan

Awards
Looks pretty solid, but I noticed a couple things missing: no direct lower back work (yea, I know some people feel they don't need it), no forearm work, trap work, or posterior delt work. What exactly are spider curls? Do they work your brachioradialis and brachalais? If not then maybe you should throw in a couple sets of hammers or something. When training chest, I find that I don't really get any inner pec development from pressing movements, so I would throw in some cable crossovers. You might want to do more volume for your calves as well; they can take a beating.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Okay, drop either the flat BB press or the DB inclines....just pick one or another. If you have to up the volume or something to account for it later on, then that's fine. LOL, I must post this 3 times/month: Your chest is one muscle, not seperate. It grows as a whole....doing both inclines and flats, won't do any more than one exc vs. both. If you need to bring up upper pecs, then use inclines, if not, then just stick to the flats. The only thing that determines the actual shape of the entire pectoral muscle is genetics...

Also, drop out the rope pulldowns. The dips, skulls, and bench will be hitting your tri's enough...

Tuesday's cool but I would still drop either the Tbar rows or the seated cables. If you're not progressing on your arms with that amount of sets then cut back, but I think you should be okay...

Next, drop the front raises. Too much delt work there IMO. Your front delts will be getting hit from the flat BB presses you'll be doing anyways. Umm...and possibly cut back the sets of the DB presses from 3 to 2....

On leg day, I would cut back your sets of squats and DL's to 2 MAX...

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Okay, drop either the flat BB press or the DB inclines....just pick one or another. If you have to up the volume or something to account for it later on, then that's fine. LOL, I must post this 3 times/month: Your chest is one muscle, not seperate. It grows as a whole....doing both inclines and flats, won't do any more than one exc vs. both. If you need to bring up upper pecs, then use inclines, if not, then just stick to the flats. The only thing that determines the actual shape of the entire pectoral muscle is genetics...

Also, drop out the rope pulldowns. The dips, skulls, and bench will be hitting your tri's enough...

Tuesday's cool but I would still drop either the Tbar rows or the seated cables. If you're not progressing on your arms with that amount of sets then cut back, but I think you should be okay...

Next, drop the front raises. Too much delt work there IMO. Your front delts will be getting hit from the flat BB presses you'll be doing anyways. Umm...and possibly cut back the sets of the DB presses from 3 to 2....

On leg day, I would cut back your sets of squats and DL's to 2 MAX...
Actually this is pretty much what I would have said for this type of split also :thumbsup:

I suppose you could do rear delt DB raises in place of front raises, or just drop them as Jergo said.

And with dips in there I would also drop the flat bench.

Are you doing spider curls with an EZ-bar? I'd stick to one bar and one DB curl exercise, JMO. :)

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
booo rear delts! My shoulders and tri's are already way too over developed compared to my biceps, they respond to high volume, yet my biceps do not. So i'd like to leave those the way they are.

1) I will take out flat bench, and just do incline dumbbells and up the sets to 4.

2) Also front raises have been removed. and Shrugs have been added.

3) EZ spider curls have been switched to dumbbell spider curls

4) barbell rows have been added in the place of tbar

5) SLDL has been shortened by 1 set and 1 more set has been added to calves.

6) stretches will be performed after each bodypart.

How does it look now!? :drunk:

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
what do you think would be a good target range as far as how many reps per each set?

Also will it be the same for everything? Which ones should i do higher reps on, and which one should i do lower.

Thanks

Dan

Awards
Personally I would change your rep scheme each week or every 2 weeks so that you are hitting different types of muscle fibers.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I like what Dan said....but I usually try to stick with 4-8 reps....you could be different though. I believe as does IA that legs respond better to higher reps such as 12-20 or so. Everything else would still be kinda see how you react, then decide...

*Monday (Chest & Tris)*

Incline DB Press-4 sets
Dips-2 sets
Skull crushers-2 sets
Rope pushdowns-2 sets

*Tues (Back & Biceps)*

Wide Grip Chins-3 sets
Barbell Rows-2 sets
Seated Cable Rows-1 sets
Barbell Curls-2 sets
Dumbbell Spider curls-2 sets

*Thurs (Shoulders & Abs)*

Seated Dumbbell Press-3 sets
Laterals raises-2 sets
Shrugs-1 sets
Cable crunch-2 sets
Hanging leg raises-2 sets

*Friday (Legs)*

Squats-3 sets
Stiff Legged Deadlifts-2 sets
Leg Extensions-2 sets
Standing Calf Raises-3 sets

Stretches will be performed after each bodypart is trained.

Cardio: 3x a week 45 minutes brisk walking first thing in the morning.
Session 1: I would still take out the rope pushdowns, and reduce ALL sets to a maximum of two. I know it's hard to do, but as soon as I switched and raised intensity, I overall just felt better, had more energy, etc. Trust me, it will get the job done...:)

Session 2: Again I would take out the Tbars, you already have the chins and the BB rows for the lats. IMO thats just a waste of 3 minutes. :D

Session 3: Looks good, but I'd still reduce the military's to 2 sets. Since you're doing the lat raises. The shrugs still need to go as well. What are you actually trying to get out of them? Like are you trying for more trap growth or lat? It just seems unecessary to me is all.

Session 4: Once again, I would take all sets down to 2 each. You can always up the volume if needed. Also, instead of doing the ext. 2 sets by themselves, I would use them as a superset immediately after your Squats....saves time....still does the damage needed, and you can basically kill 2 birds with one stone.

LOL...I know it seems like a lot of changes, but IMO if you keep it simple, you can see what is working for you and what's not. And then of course you can always change things to address what needs addressed...

If you want, I still have some more ideas with that split, so lemme know...:D

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Session 1: I would still take out the rope pushdowns, and reduce ALL sets to a maximum of two. I know it's hard to do, but as soon as I switched and raised intensity, I overall just felt better, had more energy, etc. Trust me, it will get the job done...:)
My triceps respond better to higher intensity, thats why rope pushdowns need to stay. When i dropped my sets too low, i stopped adding any size to them.

Session 2: Again I would take out the Tbars, you already have the chins and the BB rows for the lats. IMO thats just a waste of 3 minutes.
GODDAMNIT! I will take out the 1 set of cable rows! :D :D ;)
Think i should add some forearm exercises? I really didn't have any because my forearms are pretty much a lost cause, i've tried everything!

Session 3: Looks good, but I'd still reduce the military's to 2 sets. Since you're doing the lat raises. The shrugs still need to go as well. What are you actually trying to get out of them? Like are you trying for more trap growth or lat? It just seems unecessary to me is all.
Again same thing as w/ triceps, my shoulders respond better to higher volume, so i can't reduce sets there. Shrugs have been knocked out though.

Session 4: Once again, I would take all sets down to 2 each.
No :D

You can always up the volume if needed. Also, instead of doing the ext. 2 sets by themselves, I would use them as a superset immediately after your Squats....saves time....still does the damage needed, and you can basically kill 2 birds with one stone.
Hmmmmm, ok i will give this a shot!

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Hehe, well at least I got you to drop some things....

I think that will work pretty descent, and just give it a few weeks to see how things are. If you can disect each issue once you get things rolling, you'll be able to quickly identify the problem, fix it, then re-acess...know what I mean?

Good luck man...let us know how it works out.. :thumbsup:

zeromagnus

Board Supporter
Awards
Is the number of sets not counting like 1 or 2 warm up sets? Or are you not even doing warm up sets? Seems like such a small number of sets, but I kinda like what Jergo said about raising the volume but keeping the number of sets the same...I might have to try it

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
this does not include warm up sets.

between warm ups, sets, breaks in between sets, and stretches, i should be in and out of there within 40-50 minutes.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I love rack pulls. Put the pin below the knee and PULL! :thumbsup: