The Pre-Hab Thread

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Having close to a decade of training under my belt, I've learned a lot about what to do and, more importantly, what NOT to do. During that time, like everyone, I've experienced my share of strains, sprains, and pains. this thread is dedicated to doing things to prevent these.

What is pre-hab?
Pre-hab is essentially the proactive version of re-hab. Instead of doing these things after an injury or strain, you do them to prevent this event from ever occurring.

Here are some of the tools that I have found to be invaluable to helping me get moving in the morning:
1. Foam Roller: I've said this about a 1000 times, but this is the most important tool to releasing adhesions and improving blood-flow to the area.
2. Tennis/LaCrosse ball: this is used in the hard to get area of the glutes/piriformis to really breakup the fascia and improve hip, thigh, and lumbar flexibility.
3. Bands: I use these to help stretch the muscles and strengthen the rotator cuff muscles.

Routines/stretches that I have found extremely helpful (I am a huge follower of DeFranco and have implemented a lot of his techniques):

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
About time we start this thread.

I'm all about correcting muscle balances in the individual. The over head squat test is one great way to assess imbalances, and so are push up and inverted row exams.

I think the areas most lifters neglect the most is:
Strengthening the hip abductors and the shoulder external rotators
Increasing flexibility in the shoudler internal rotators/external capsule and the hip flexors.

What stretches have you found helpful for the hip flexors besides the basic standing lunge, kneeling lunge, and lunge with knee flexion?

Br

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I'm all about correcting muscle balances in the individual. The over head squat test is one great way to assess imbalances, and so are push up and inverted row exams.

Strengthening the hip abductors and the shoulder external rotators
Increasing flexibility in the shoudler internal rotators/external capsule and the hip flexors.

What stretches have you found helpful for the hip flexors besides the basic standing lunge, kneeling lunge, and lunge with knee flexion?

Br
How familiar are you with wrestling techniques? The reason I ask is that I use a very common technique that has it's roots in wrestling to increase flexibility and keep good posture.

Basically, I go through a series of wrestling shots at a slow rate to really focus on stretching the hip flexor and quads.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not too familiar, but I'm friends with the wrestling coach at college, so I have access to learning them with correct technique.

Most of my stretching and mobility drills are track orientated, but trying to correct some mild lower-cross syndrome is slowing down my progress.

Br

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established

Strengthening the hip abductors and the shoulder external rotatorsIncreasing flexibility in the shoudler internal rotators/external capsule and the hip flexors.

Br
I started working these yesterday, they are incredibly weak.