Time off training - make me see sense

  1. New Member
    Scottish08's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    51
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    61.87%

    Time off training - make me see sense


    Hey all...im new here.

    What do all you bros do here when you need time off training...i dont mean a break which you plan...i mean an unplanned break...as a result of health.

    I have had a hard time of it in the past 7-8 months...i was dieting for a photoshoot and i have been pushing too hard with the diet and i have ended up with health problems and a few kidneys issues.

    The doctors feel that having restricted my calorie intake too much over the duration of 2010...it has made my body a bit weaker...CNS a little tired...i generally feel exhausted...cold...weak in the gym...etc...

    The doctor is continuing to do blood tests...the last set showed kidney problems...thyroid low...testosterone low...and low white blood cell count...and very high urea levels.

    He has said i need a complete break from training and to actually eat more calories than i have been doing...so how do i go about this in a mental sense? I have never had more than 1 week off training since i started training 4-5 years ago...

    The docs say he would like me to have a 4-5 week rest from training...and i also need to increase my calorie intake...i know i may put on some lbs...i am quite ripped at the moment...so this shouldnt be a problem...and i know my health is more important.

    But why can i not seem to be able to relax about this...i know the doctor knows best...why do i feel lazy with resting?

    I havent had any cheat food in about 9 months and i havent had more than 1 week off training since i started training.

    How would you bros approach this and get your head around the fact you do need to relax and have time off and listen to doctor/and listen to your body?

    Thanks all.

  2. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,842
    Rep Power
    768803
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    23.13%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting VeteranPosting RoyaltyPosting God

    Well, what you have to look at is what in your diet helped cause this? either too low a carbohydrate diet, or too low fats in diet (coupled with high protein intake) can easily cause this. So you need to take that step back and realize that health is more important than looks regardless, and that maybe the route you took to get to your goals wasn't the best one.

    Even if you eat more calories, that doesn't mean you can't still do some level of activity. walking, swimming, bicycling, etc. Not heavy duty high intensity, but low intensity should be fine, but still help.

    So look at it as healing time. If you dislocated a shoulder, tore a hamstring, etc you'd have to take the time off, this isn't any different.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  3. New Member
    SaintGJR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    93
    Level
    1
    Lv. Percent
    0%

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Well, what you have to look at is what in your diet helped cause this? either too low a carbohydrate diet, or too low fats in diet (coupled with high protein intake) can easily cause this. So you need to take that step back and realize that health is more important than looks regardless, and that maybe the route you took to get to your goals wasn't the best one.

    Even if you eat more calories, that doesn't mean you can't still do some level of activity. walking, swimming, bicycling, etc. Not heavy duty high intensity, but low intensity should be fine, but still help.

    So look at it as healing time. If you dislocated a shoulder, tore a hamstring, etc you'd have to take the time off, this isn't any different.
    Look at it that way OP! good advice - rest upo.
    •   
       

  4. Advanced Member
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    330
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    12.76%

    Do some very very easy stuff just to keep moving in some sense.
    I think the best way to deal with it mentally is to quit thinking short-term. The strength game is a long-term pursuit and you should approach it as such. Taking a few weeks off to get back to good health will set you back way less than trying to push through and doing even more damage, which will require even more time off. In the long run you will make more progress by taking it easy for a while. Think in terms of months and years and not days and weeks.
  5. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  120 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,162
    Rep Power
    261079
    Level
    75
    Lv. Percent
    37.78%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish08 View Post
    What do all you bros do here when you need time off training...i dont mean a break which you plan...i mean an unplanned break...as a result of health.

    . . .

    But why can i not seem to be able to relax about this...i know the doctor knows best...why do i feel lazy with resting?

    I havent had any cheat food in about 9 months and i havent had more than 1 week off training since i started training.

    How would you bros approach this and get your head around the fact you do need to relax and have time off and listen to doctor/and listen to your body?
    I know how you feel - trust me, even a day off makes me antsy as all hell. However, you have to realize that training perpetually without a break is detrimental not only to your health, but to progress. The last few years have taught me more than ever about the importance of recovery - I was one of those individuals who took a week off at most during the year (and having "easy" days scheduled into training is not the same as taking a complete break), and my body got to the point where it pretty much shut down on me, and since late 2008 I have had several periods of 2-4 months off from recurrent bouts of Chronic Fatigue because my body simply just gives up and refuses to co-operate - or, in the case of early 2009, gets an injury, which means another 2-3 months out because it literally makes me not able to train (and yes, almost all of that time logged daily on here). Now I don't diet like you have, but I train very hard and intense and what happened to me is an extreme example, but it is a lesson, and although I hate that it happened, it made me realize that you HAVE to start listening to your body. You can't treat your body like a machine and NOT expect it to break down at some point. You learn to get your head around the fact that you NEED recovery, because if you don't and you push it too hard, that might be too much and tip you over that fine line and mean more time off. I now schedule in one day a week where I do NO training whatsoever (and yes, sometimes I will do ~20 minutes of lighter cardio if I can't stand doing nothing), and every few months, I will take a week off resistance training (not cardio, but weights - to give my body a reprieve). We all deal with things in our own way, and you just need to find what works for YOU. I'm not going to lie and say that it gets any easier - my head battles with time out all the time; I am just one of those people - but you start to realize that without your health, you won't be able to train, period, and you take measures to correct it.

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  6. Advanced Member
    omni's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    540
    Rep Power
    362
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    67.18%

    I train 8 weeks hard then 1 week 1/2 intense followed by a week off. I'm making the best gains in my life. During my week off I blow my diet completely...no protein counting! I feel that it helps round out my life.
    I used to train 3 times a day, 6 days a week. My life was the gym and health food. I did that for about three years. I was strong looked great and people came to me for training advice. I felt good about it but outside of lifting I didn't really have much to talk about. I lost contact with most of my friends and relatives because they just didn't fit in my life at that time.
    The truth is that nobody cares what you look like. 15% body fat or 6%. Nobody cares but you.
    Bodybuilding and Fitness can become an OCD for many people. A break is great. During your break check out all the local buffets in your area. Try one once a week. Post some of your experiences and advice here to motivate people here so you stay focussed. Spend time with relatives. Sleep in-my favorite.
    You'll come back stronger and better.
  7. New Member
    Scottish08's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    51
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    61.87%

    Thanks for the replies to my thread - you guys have been a real help - and it helps me to realise and think long term rather than the short term1. That is the way i need to look at it. If i train for the next 10-20-30 years, are 4-5 weeks going to make a difference?!? no not really!
  8. New Member
    Scottish08's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    51
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    61.87%

    Quote Originally Posted by omni View Post
    I train 8 weeks hard then 1 week 1/2 intense followed by a week off. I'm making the best gains in my life. During my week off I blow my diet completely...no protein counting! I feel that it helps round out my life.
    I used to train 3 times a day, 6 days a week. My life was the gym and health food. I did that for about three years. I was strong looked great and people came to me for training advice. I felt good about it but outside of lifting I didn't really have much to talk about. I lost contact with most of my friends and relatives because they just didn't fit in my life at that time.
    The truth is that nobody cares what you look like. 15% body fat or 6%. Nobody cares but you.
    Bodybuilding and Fitness can become an OCD for many people. A break is great. During your break check out all the local buffets in your area. Try one once a week. Post some of your experiences and advice here to motivate people here so you stay focussed. Spend time with relatives. Sleep in-my favorite.
    You'll come back stronger and better.
    Thank you - your post sums me up - completely OCD with everything to do with training - i never cheat - i always train and run myself into the ground - my whole life revolves around training - i realise now with a bit of time off - that i am not competitive with bodybuilding and i need to stop behaving like i am stepping on stage every weekend.

    Like you say - people dont care how you look - people dont stop and look at you - unless you are amazingly unique in some way.

    I might just enjoy this time off - let my body get back to normality - eat what i want - and deal with it at a later date.
  9. The Female Terminator
    Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  120 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,162
    Rep Power
    261079
    Level
    75
    Lv. Percent
    37.78%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish08 View Post
    Thanks for the replies to my thread - you guys have been a real help - and it helps me to realise and think long term rather than the short term1. That is the way i need to look at it. If i train for the next 10-20-30 years, are 4-5 weeks going to make a difference?!? no not really!
    No worries

    Life is definitely a LONG-term perspective and not short-term (although you want to keep that in mind as well, though).


    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish08 View Post
    ...sums me up - completely OCD with everything to do with training - i never cheat - i always train and run myself into the ground - my whole life revolves around training...
    I used to be like that - granted, I was a very competitive athlete and your life has to be like that to be the best, but still . . . Even when I stopped competing like that, it literally took me YEARS to stop being like that. Even now, I am obsessive compulsive like you wouldn't believe (not as bad as you re nutrition, since I just eat whatever, and my diet is never a "diet", but you get what I mean) and I still have to fight with myself to do what I know I should when it comes to recovery. There is more to life than training, yes, and when you actually take some time out to enjoy that life, that can also help put things in perspective - hell, your life can still revolve around training, but you can also HAVE A LIFE! . . . All the best in your recovery. Don't stress over it so badly . . .

    ~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  10. New Member
    Scottish08's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    51
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    61.87%

    I feel so lazy - but i know in 4-5 weeks time i can train really hard again!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Does this make sense?
    By Gutterpump in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-23-2009, 10:08 PM
  2. Does this make sense?
    By glennwethere in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 06:17 PM
  3. Does this make sense to anyone?
    By thomastobird in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 11:10 PM
  4. Does this make any sense?
    By CryingEmo in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-16-2007, 01:09 PM
  5. Does this make sense?
    By Emiran in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-31-2006, 03:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in