Working out twice in 1 day

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

Working out twice in 1 day

Is working out twice in the same day a good or bad idea? Say I went in the morning and did legs, and went back like 6 hours later and did upper back. Now I am thinking of trying this because I can't fit all my workouts into my week because of work and such things. Figure I could knock out two on my day off work.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

Or go back later in the day and do some cardio?
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  205 lbs.

Training is actually more effective when split up into two sessions. There is research to support it. It allows you to workout at higher intensities rather than trying to squeeze it all in to one session. It would be especially beneficial in your case, since you don't have the time to hit every body part throughout the week due to your schedule.

Personally I try my best to do all of my lifting split up into two sessions.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

If you can't fit all your work outs in I suggest doing a 3 day full body routine...rather than going in 2x a day.

Look into hst training
    P-Mag + P-Stanz Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/cycle-info/174851-p-mag-p.html
  5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Legacyfighter View Post
    Training is actually more effective when split up into two sessions. There is research to support it. It allows you to workout at higher intensities rather than trying to squeeze it all in to one session. It would be especially beneficial in your case, since you don't have the time to hit every body part throughout the week due to your schedule.

Personally I try my best to do all of my lifting split up into two sessions.
    I wouldn't mind for one bit being able to devote 24hr/day to the singular objective of growth and enjoyment in the gym.

I wouldn't suggest focusing on two major muscle groups though, such as legs and back in the same day - anything else and in my experiences you're fine Enjoy!
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  245 lbs.

i did it for a short time, man it crazy and exausting! i ate soooo much and gained no fat
  7. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.

You'd better be eating a ****load that day if you decide to do this. Also, I'd try to do completely opposing muscle groups, like groups from push in the morning, and from pull in the evening, or vice-versa.
  8. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jasen View Post
    i did it for a short time, man it crazy and exausting! i ate soooo much and gained no fat
    I'm glad you brought this up, I failed to mention it... but it is a HUGE benefit! I don't just mean you can get away with eating a lot, but you can actually cheat and remain on the path toward leanness!
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  245 lbs.

back - biceps
    Chest - triceps
    Shoulders- legs
    Rest
    Repeat....
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

Thanks for the input. I am going to try my first double this Monday. Going to go in the morning and do some Back then comeback 6-8 hours later and do some biceps and cardio. A good thing is I am trying to quit smoking; haven't had one for two weeks. Anyways now it seems like I can eat endlessly and not get full. It's like there is something missing now.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  245 lbs.

imo i would nto add cardio if u do 2x a day, if u waznt to do cardio, do cardio first thing And then go W.O. at evening
  12. Registered User

i agree with legacyfighter. Trainig twice daily is more effective, if u know how to approach it, training and nutritionwise.
    the point is, u train the same muscles twice daily.

i've just ended a 2x daily training phase, where i trained chest+ back in the AM and in the PM on the same day. heavy in the AM, high rep in the evening.
    strength and size went up decently.

btw, cardio doesn't need to be done first thing in the morning. there's no difference in fat oxidation on fasted or nonfasted cardio. do cardio whenever u like.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.

For bodybuilding it would be difficult, as for strength athletes we do it all the time

14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.

Actually if we all had the time 2x days would be the ideal training method IMO. It allows you to work two muscle groups and be completely fresh for both sessions. I know several amateur bodybuilders, and one who just got his natty pro card, who use this method. It doesn't have any implications on diet or energy requirements unless you add more volume too each workout, which you may be inclined to do.
  15. Registered User

i agree - bodybuilders can benefit a lot from training 2x daily, however, there has to be proper autoregulation regarding volume and proper nutrition adjustment - you spend more energy/glycogen + protein turnover is greater, thus more carbs and more protein is needed compared to a single daily session.

plus, 2x daily regimen requires more regeneration time and is best in form of 4-6 week cycles with equal single session cycles in between. u need to deload/ regenerate your cns once u start stagnating on 2 sessions daily regimen.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. PH not working for me?
    By lilseth0014 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-15-2010, 08:10 AM
  2. this is not working, can you help
    By ShockCollar in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 04:54 PM
  3. WHY IS M1T NOT WORKING FOR ME
    By Kachinsky in forum Anabolics