WTF is this burning pain while doing squats?

S

Smith402

Awards
Well for the last couple weeks I have been getting there terrible burning pain in the side of my thigh EVERY time i squat it feels like some one is burning me with a lighter... and then when i am done with the set it has a numbing sensation any clue what the hell could be causing this it is extremely anoying

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Its almost definitely some sort of nerve impingement. You may have some kind of inflammation causing it. I'd try icing down your knee, hip, and thigh and taking some sort of anti-inflammatory like Aleve. Resting it would also be a good idea, at least for a few days. If that doesn't take care of it, you may have a pinched nerve in your back, in which case you'd want to go see a doctor about it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You need to do some myofascial release with a foam roller along your IT band.

Legacyfighter

Legacyfighter

Awards
  • Established
Rodja's idea is pretty sound too (look up IT Band Syndrome). It could also be compression on the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve as it exits the pelvic bowl (Meralgia Paresthetica).

A

anoopbal

Awards
did you try changing your stance and feet position?

And did you do anything different with squats before the pain started?

S

spool

Awards
This happen too me when I was squatting 4x a week. I could really feel it above the knee where the IT ties in with other tendons. Stretching (the IT) and plenty of warming up before hand helped (sometimes 5 warm up sets). Foam rolling it and graston are also beneficial away from the gym.

D

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
All the above and do plenty of warmup sets. It takes me 7-9 sets to warm up. Work up to your workout weight in incraments. IT Band is a mofo! You may have to take a step back and evaluate your technique. Not sayin you have bad form but you may have to change your stance to be comfortable. Just be patient.