pulling/popping feeling all up in my a$$!!!

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Was doing squats yesterday, after stretching, warm-up with 10 light reps, 5 heavier reps, then hit my working weight and went to town.

About rep 7, just coming back up, I felt a slight popping in the upper part of my bum, then a horrific cramp up into my lower back, both on the right side. I got the bar racked and had to try to sit for a good 10 min before I could get outa there.

This am it felt like someone hauled off and nailed me right in that general area, around the back of the hip/butt bone (or WeverTF its called), in the upper part of my right cheeky.

Its better than it was so I decided not to go to the doc unless it still hurts come fri, and stretching and a heating pad helps a good bit.

I was surprised but I was able to get on the elliptical this morning pretty easily, just as a test at first, really, and putting my shoes on was the part that was most painful.

Anyway, does pulling a muscle feel like a quick dull pop? And any other words of wisdom or advice? My mothers was take 1 of each of my fathers muscle relaxers/pain killers and don't drive anywhere LOL. So 4 pills later and I'm GTG, LOL!!

Thank you!

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
Was doing squats yesterday, after stretching, warm-up with 10 light reps, 5 heavier reps, then hit my working weight and went to town.

About rep 7, just coming back up, I felt a slight popping in the upper part of my bum, then a horrific cramp up into my lower back, both on the right side. I got the bar racked and had to try to sit for a good 10 min before I could get outa there.

This am it felt like someone hauled off and nailed me right in that general area, around the back of the hip/butt bone (or WeverTF its called), in the upper part of my right cheeky.

Its better than it was so I decided not to go to the doc unless it still hurts come fri, and stretching and a heating pad helps a good bit.

I was surprised but I was able to get on the elliptical this morning pretty easily, just as a test at first, really, and putting my shoes on was the part that was most painful.

Anyway, does pulling a muscle feel like a quick dull pop? And any other words of wisdom or advice? My mothers was take 1 of each of my fathers muscle relaxers/pain killers and don't drive anywhere LOL. So 4 pills later and I'm GTG, LOL!!

Thank you!
I have the same problem, but I've also had bi-lateral hip surgery, so IDK! I was told the muscle group in that area (iliopsoas I believe) shortens easily, and thus pops. I believe it connects to the front of the femur, and the outside of the hip, going over the top of the acetabulum (I think). As you move, it gets caught (which doesn't hurt for some reason) and then when it finally unsticks, it "pops" (which then hurts)! I was also told my labral tears caused popping (VERY PAINFUL)! Hope it's much simpler than these possibilities though! If you want any more information, please feel free to PM me! Get better soon.
--Brian
P.S.
Those cramps are a way of life for me. I can't even to sit-ups without getting them.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Is the problem near the middle of the back of your pelvis or out to the lateral side? If it's more toward the midline (but not right in the middle) right in that transition area between low back and glute, then it could be your sacro-iliac (SI) joint. If this area is out of whack or inflammed you will often get some tightness or cramping of the low back on that side. You could also have simply strained or have a small tear in the glute. If you get some bruising around or below the area then you have torn some tissue.
I have chronic on and off issues with my SI joint. For now simply ice it several times a day until in calms down. If you have access to a good chiropractor then go see him as well. Also start working on stretching of your entire lower body (glutes, hamstrings, quads, hip flexors, etc...) every day.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Its off to the side, almost centered on my right butt cheek.

Its actually feeling A LOT better this evening, I just hafta bend down slowly and easy, and not move too fast in general, so I'm thinking it'll work itself out.

I dunno when I'll be squatting again, tho!!

And I'll be checking for bruising later, but there's none yet.

Thanks so far!!

MikeB78

Awards
Sounds like Sciatic nerve pain to me could be comming from different things, I have the same thing from a herniated disc in my lower back.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like Sciatic nerve pain to me could be comming from different things, I have the same thing from a herniated disc in my lower back.
Like Piriformis syndrome (the piriformis muscle is right where the OP pointed to). That was the first diagnosis they gave me, but with Sciatic nerve issues, the pain is usually INTENSE, and I've never heard of it described as a cramp (usually stabbing, shocking, etc.), so that's why I went with different theories. Could still be sciatic issues I guess! Completely forgot about that little guy! And neither sciatic nerve issues nor piriformis would cause the popping I don't think. That really should be either labral tear (which would also be extremely painful), or tight iliopsoas muscles.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
Here's your piriformis remedy (it hurts like hell, though):

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Well, I think some rest and whining to whoever would listen is all I needed, LOL. I went out hunting for a couple hours carrying both a rifle and shotgun thru the willywags with heavy overalls and jacket (20* this AM), then when I got back home I wrestled my snowplow for my truck out of the garage and then the snow sled, without the slightest pain or discomfort.

I'm going to do my chest today, then maybe....MAYBE try a light light squat and see what I feel. Or I had better not press my luck and just wait a bit long for squats or deads.

So as of this moment I proclaim myself cured!! LOL...

And thanks for the vid...I found one of the dogs rubber balls and am going to go try this right now....

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Oh, and BTW, also had a back X-ray about a month ago, and it came back A-OK, so I would assume a herniated disc woulda shown up....Or would a cat scan be the only thing to pick that up? IDK

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
I believe a herniated disc would be mostly MRI discovered. If it's a labral tear, that can only be found with a MRI or arthroscopy (MUCH later down the road if it doesn't get better). My Ortho doc told me that many times, it's not the spine that causes these problems. The sciatic nerve runs THROUGH the piriformis muscle in about 15% of people, instead of under/over (not sure which). As a result, when the sciatic nerve gets too tight, it can pinch off the nerve. And, other times, the nerve can get impinged between the piriformis muscle and the hip, causing intense pain. Usually if it is sciatic pain, you'll feel it radiating through your hamstrings and calf. I don't know, if it continues, I would definitely research piriformis syndrome! Take it easy.

diablosho

diablosho

Awards
  • Established
Do you foam roll?
Not sure if you're talking to me, but if you are, I don't foam roll. But, I do the stretches on the floor (takes me about 1 hour per day). I HATE them, but I might as well get used to them. I have to do them for the rest of my life (if I want to keep walking pain free, that is...)
--Brian

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
Not sure if you're talking to me, but if you are, I don't foam roll. But, I do the stretches on the floor (takes me about 1 hour per day). I HATE them, but I might as well get used to them. I have to do them for the rest of my life (if I want to keep walking pain free, that is...)
--Brian
Comparing stretching to foam rolling is like comparing DHEA to test. Foam rolling is essential to keeping the fascia nice and loose.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Well I've been doing the roll on the ball stretch (kinda feels like a deep tickle....hard to explain) and then P90X X stretch on my off days (3x a week) and so far my back in general has been feeling better, and I did squats and deads since I hurt myself and no discomfort or anything.

I guess I was two tents!!