IT Band and squats

D

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
After suffering with pain in my leg for years and knowing it was my IT band, I decided to get it checked out. I was diagnosed with iliotibial band syndrom a few months ago by my physical therapist. My question to any one knowledgeable on the subject is does it ever get better? When i first started haveing these pains, i researched it and found stretches and purchased a foam roller, which i have been useing for about 6 yrs. My therapist told me that I seem to know quite a bit about my problem and after a few sessions she told me to keep doing what i have been doing as far as stretches and the roller. It doesnt necessarily hurt while lifting but a couple hours later and im in some real pain!! Im into powerlifting and this seems to hold me back. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Upgrade to PVC pipe instead of a foam roller. Also, look into rolling the piriformis, hip flexor, adductors, and glutes.

D

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Rodja, i appreciate the input. I will look into pvc. Piriformis, hip flexor, adductors and glutes i work on alot with a tennis ball which helps emensly, but will it ever get better or is it going to be my handicap forever? Thank you.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's hard to say whether or not it will continue to plague you. Do you do any kind of mobility drills?

D

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I do mobility stretches, not familiar with drills. stretches i do rf/tfl stretch, x-band walks, cradle and high-knee walks, leg pull-backs, seated 90's, warrior lunges. They have all worked wonders but it just still lingers.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Do you use briefs or do you do all of your lifts raw?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Have you ever thought about trying a loose pair of briefs? I don't know if it will aid your IT band directly but it may help one of the surrounding muscles that may be causing the IT band to tighten up. Also do you box squat or free squat? Finally what type of shoes are you wearing when squatting?

I know all my suggestions sound like band aids rather than actually fixing the problem but since you said you are already doing SMR I imagine you have a good ideal of what steps you need to take to keep the muscle itself healthy. The only other thing I can think of is to use a good warmup linament during lifting and icing your leg post training.

D

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I wear boxer briefs if thats what your referring to. I box and free squat as they are both part of my powerlifting routine. I have noticed that my ITB reacts more to free squatting, but I think I should free squat as opposed to just box squatting alone. I go back and forth between my Otomix and UnderArmour shoes because I was thinking that the flat vs arched sole may play a factor, which came out unconclusive...no big difference. I also am experimenting with orthopedic insoles to see if i have an issue with the lack of arch support my shoes insoles have. They have deffinatly made a difference in my daily life. I never realized how much i was out of line with factory insoles!! I use Power step insoles because they were referred to me by a number of people includeing my phys therapist. Im kinda at the end of my rope and comeing to terms that im going to have to live with this. Linament is next on my list to try...Tiger Balm dont cut it for this. Thanks for the input pmiller...I greatly appreciate it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Use flat sole shoes for squats and deads. When he says briefs, he is referring to PL briefs, which run about $20-30 a pair. They're designed specifically for PLing.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Use flat sole shoes for squats and deads. When he says briefs, he is referring to PL briefs, which run about $20-30 a pair. They're designed specifically for PLing.
I was hoping he caught that, otherwise asking someone what kind of underwear someone lifts in comes off as a "Nightline, to catch a predator" red alert.

D

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Thanks fellas! Its not very often you post and get knowledgeable feedback!! Usually its like beating a dead horse trying to weed out the 15 yr old kids' posts and stupid comments about what they read in a mag or there buddy told em. Thanks once again.

D

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I was hoping he caught that, otherwise asking someone what kind of underwear someone lifts in comes off as a "Nightline, to catch a predator" red alert.
haha! I didnt even think of it in that context untill you said something but he said try a loose pair of briefs so pL briefs were the last thing that came to mind. I will give em a shot fellas. Thanks

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
haha! I didnt even think of it in that context untill you said something but he said try a loose pair of briefs so pL briefs were the last thing that came to mind. I will give em a shot fellas. Thanks
Be forewarned that PL briefs aren't easy to get on, especially if you have big quads.

LOL. That's the oddest character on that show.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Be forewarned that PL briefs aren't easy to get on, especially if you have big quads.

LOL. That's the oddest character on that show.
Speaking of, any tips on how to buy a pair of briefs? I checked out the Inzer site and it goes by weight and doesn't offer any measurements.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Speaking of, any tips on how to buy a pair of briefs? I checked out the Inzer site and it goes by weight and doesn't offer any measurements.
Hard to say with Inzer in the PL briefs department. I recall you had pretty good sized quads for your weight and that's going to be a real sticking point. I ordered a pair of their PL briefs according to their measurements and I swear up & down there was no way those things were making it over my quads. I called customer service and he said that PL briefs are suppose to be tight enough that you need 3 people to help you put it on, per se. Maybe I didn't fight with it long enough (because I received my package at the Law Firm and tried to put them on in the Firm's restroom).

I have Inzer knee wraps and an Inzer lever belt with no fitting issues, but I returned the PL briefs (I bought the "Power Pants"). I would actually call their customer service and ask for specific advice when it comes to those things.

I may consider buying them again. I wasn't aware of just how tight they were going to be. Perhaps I needed to grab a couple more paralegals into the restroom to have them do me a solid in getting them on.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hard to say with Inzer in the PL briefs department. I recall you had pretty good sized quads for your weight and that's going to be a real sticking point. I ordered a pair of their PL briefs according to their measurements and I swear up & down there was no way those things were making it over my quads. I called customer service and he said that PL briefs are suppose to be tight enough that you need 3 people to help you put it on, per se. Maybe I didn't fight with it long enough (because I received my package at the Law Firm and tried to put them on in the Firm's restroom).

I have Inzer knee wraps and an Inzer lever belt with no fitting issues, but I returned the PL briefs (I bought the "Power Pants"). I would actually call their customer service and ask for specific advice when it comes to those things.

I may consider buying them again. I wasn't aware of just how tight they were going to be. Perhaps I needed to grab a couple more paralegals into the restroom to have them do me a solid in getting them on.
Yeah, my thigh size is my major concern because I'm bottom heavy. I weigh about 210 right now and heavy the lower body of someone closer to 240.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, my thigh size is my major concern because I'm bottom heavy. I weigh about 210 right now and heavy the lower body of someone closer to 240.
I would call customer service and bring those details to the table. I got a big butt too (probably the primary source of my DL strength). However, there's got to be an appropriate size, considering the general physique of the elite competitive PL's and they can get in there.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would call customer service and bring those details to the table. I got a big butt too (probably the primary source of my DL strength). However, there's got to be an appropriate size, considering the general physique of the elite competitive PL's and they can get in there.
My whole posterior is where most of my girth lies. It's gotten really bad lately as I have started to go heavy on legs again for the first time in years. My waist is still a 30/31, but I have to buy 34s to fit my ass into now.

D

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
X2 on the pants deal. I have to get 36 with a 33 in. waist. Seems as thought clothes these days are made for the people that dont eat and have no muscle mass. I consulted my buddy about briefs and he said the same thing. He said useing them is great if you can get them on. He has a few of his buddies basically give him a big wedgie...2 people grab em and lift em. He said if i can get them on by myself or even with the help of my wife, that he will give me $100. Volcom, could u pm me your quad measurement and brief size u tried so i can get a better understanding of sizeing? or you could always post it here if comfortable...or just not tell me at all.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
If your getting briefs and not competing you could probably get two sizes up from what the recommended size is and be fine. I would stay away from Inzer because their sizing has to be the most frustrating thing is the world and I have found with some of their stuff that you can order three of the exact same thing and only one will actually fit. I personally have had much better luck with Titan gear,their Centurion Boxer Briefs are what I currently use and I love them. By ordering loose you shouldn't have any problems getting them on once you break them in and they will still give you good support.

As for liniment you can find this stuff at walgreens called Iron Man Spray which is pretty mild but works good, or you can man up and get a tube of capsicum which will definitely heat everything up nice.

Finally if box squatting is easier on you then I think you'll be fine stick to primarily box squats, just make sure to throw in a little extra quad work because your quad involvement will drop off a bit with the box.

I should have been more specific in my first post lol, I just read that you were more of a powerlifter so I automatically thought you would be more familiar with terms like briefs. Didn't mean to inquire about your personal underwear preferences lol.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
X2 on the pants deal. I have to get 36 with a 33 in. waist. Seems as thought clothes these days are made for the people that dont eat and have no muscle mass. I consulted my buddy about briefs and he said the same thing. He said useing them is great if you can get them on. He has a few of his buddies basically give him a big wedgie...2 people grab em and lift em. He said if i can get them on by myself or even with the help of my wife, that he will give me $100. Volcom, could u pm me your quad measurement and brief size u tried so i can get a better understanding of sizeing? or you could always post it here if comfortable...or just not tell me at all.
I'd be glad to, but I would have to measure, I don't know off the top of my head and I don't have any measuring tape at the moment.

D

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Good stuff! Thanks everyone! Im gonna take a shot in the dark and order some briefs.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you tried icing the IT band, glutes and TFL after lifitng. It may reduce some of the inflammation and help to keep the muscles from further tightening and pulling on the IT.
Br

S

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
The briefs may help some, but in the end you should strive to solve the issue. My IT bands were killing me a while back. They felt like they were going to explode every time I would SQ. Then they would tighten up and have me in pain for two days afterward. I've largely solved the problem now by doing the following:
1) Roll 2-3 times a day on a PVC pipe (glutes, hamstrings, IT bands, quads)
2) Band stretches for the IT bands daily
3) Changed to a narrower SQ stance more like an olympic SQ. It seemed different at first, but being able to SQ without pain was what sold me.
4) Mobility work daily. Doing things like dropping into deep SQ positions with different stances and just staying in the hole to stretch things out and lunging stretches and side lunging stretches. Find the stretches were you feel the most tight and work on those.

D

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the knowledge 2000. I will implement some of your suggestions into my training.