too much chest work?

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
On my chest days I do my regular 5x5 of bench with weight increments increasing every workout, I then do machine flyes 2 sets 8 reps first 6 reps 2nd heavy as possible for a really good stretch, then I do machine decline 2 sets heavy as possible 8 reps first 6 reps second for shaping bottom of chest. And then I recently added bench press lockouts 2 sets 8 reps first 6 reps second heavy as possible because I've heard that this adds massive strength to ur flat bench. My goal is not so much size even tho I do want more my goal is more strength on flat bench my 1 rep max is currently 285 I wanna hit 315 by the end of this year. Am I over working? And if so what should I remove so that I can keep the lockouts for the strength increase

Ms9

Awards
No you are not doing too much. However your workout is certainly missing an incline movement. If you want to get stronger at flat bench I recommend DB flat bench.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
I heard dumbell benching does not transfer over

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DB and BB flat bench are two totally different things. i can do 115 pound DB for a good month then go back on barbell and ive lost about 15 pounds on bench. what i am currently doing is every other week doing BB then DB alternating. week 1 BB, week 2 DB ...etc. so far i like it

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
5x5's success is really in its abriviated format. Adding all that additional work may not be helpful. If you do not see gains, try cutting back.

purebred

Rows and Overhead Presses are critical for maintaining proper muscle balances. Progressively increasing your #'s in these exercises will reflect in your performance on each individual exercise. Basically, get strong in your OH Presses and you'll see you'll be able to bench more and so on and so forth.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
Well since I started implementing these other workouts I have noticed a change in overall shape and size of my chest and I can control the pecs a lot better

carnivalhobo

Awards
If your goal is to increase your max bench, you need to do back work.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
I've taken into consideration what was said about my lack of incline movement. I have decided to replace my machine flyes with incline dumbell flyes. Is this a good idea?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're worried about strength and you add in DB flys? If you want a bigger bench, then you need to add in a lot of heavy back and tricep movements while diligently attacking your rear delt/mid-trap region.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
I want a bigger bench but I also want to adequately work my chest. I don't want any part lagging behinfd

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I want a bigger bench but I also want to adequately work my chest. I don't want any part lagging behinfd
You really need to determine if you want strength or aesthetics and go after that for an extended (years and years) period of time.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey man I kno its possible to do both.
Not really. They are completely different physiological processes. I'm not saying that there will not be some crossover, but they cause different types of hypertrophy.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Hey man I kno its possible to do both.
Yea, it is, but its beyond worth doing in my opinion. I usually focus on looks/shape for a few months then a month or a little more on strength.
You'll grow on the strength routine but not as quickly and maybe not with the shape your looking for.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
So there is no way to be big well shaped and strong?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So there is no way to be big well shaped and strong?
Depends on your definition of "well-shaped." Will training similar to a PLer give you all the nuances and definition of a BBer? No, but you will have strength and unmatched thickness.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
break the BP into different parts.

ex...

like the first part of the lift, when the bar is comming off your chest you can use a wider grip than normal to work it.

for the middle portion you can do board presses depending on where you get stuck

for lock out you can do floor preses.

of course assistance exercises like rows / dips n other crap will help the BP.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Your not training for strength like you say you want to. Break your workouts up into max effort days and dynamic movement days. Its kinda like politics...if you try to make both parties happy, you will fail. Either go with the left or the right. That way atleast some people are happy. With that said, concentrate on getting strong OR building well shaped muscles. I feel that kettle bell exercises carry over nicely for me...something to consider.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
I also find that when i return to muscle building routine, im bigger than i was before and more dense. I can also workout with heavier weights than before. Cycle your training like 6 months PL and 6 month BB if you would like and i think you will be very happy with the results!

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
I've been working out since I was 13 so 5 years now. I'd honestly have to say that with a real routine like 5x5 I've only been working out for about a year. I've seen great gains in strength and size since starting 5x5 and modifying my diet. I do wanna look good tho so I add in certain iso movements for the parts of my body that are lacking size and shape.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Honestly, if you're more concerned with the size of your biceps, then you should focus on that rather than strength numbers.

The closest thing to what you want would be DC training, but you're nowhere near ready for that.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
What would be the difference between me starting DC now and in 5 years. If I follow the instructions

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What would be the difference between me starting DC now and in 5 years. If I follow the instructions
It's not something for lifters with relative inexperience. Gauging from your posts (which are generally about the same topic), you're still relatively inexperienced.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
Yea but isn't DC a specific routine. If I follow it by the letter what would be the difference

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
Wtf? Bro u come on here judging me and bashing all my posts and expect me to know all about BB right from the get go. U basically go out and tell me that my goal is impossible to reach and then suggest a routine that I can't yet use.

fadi

fadi

Awards
  • Established
It is one of those hard to explain or communicate well to others topics. People called Arnold's routine as too much, training twice a day 6 days a week. But who to say that once a day 5 days a week is not as demanding? it is up to interpretation and people's ego. People argue "I only need 2 days to recover" and "I don't feel I am overtraining".

Training for size and definition is like wanting to gain muscle and lose fat. It will work for a while, but then your gains will suffer.

You need to get very strong and you will get bigger. Trying to define 18" arms is easier and faster than trying to gain 2" defined. Not that I totally understand what the difference is, if you bench heavy, your triceps will grow..etc.
But that is the point behind abbreviated training such as 5x5, the 20 rep squats, etc. Concentrate on the 3 main lifts plus few hand picked extras and do them till you get very strong at them. When you are in new weight territory, you can modify your routine to shape, cut, or do what you like but at least you will have the strength to do it.

As far as the advanced training and why you may not be experienced enough to do it, I will only speculate the following. As you get stronger, you start reaching limits on your lifts. You cannot constantly add 10lbs a year, let alone a month to your lifts.
Once you hit such advanced training, the training becomes very demanding and very difficult with high potential of overtraining.
If your gains stop on the advanced routine, what would your recourse be? add more workouts, sets, or reps? reduce them? get rid of aux. lifts for the sake of the primary ones? drop the weights on some of the workouts and add to the lagging one? add more rest time? sleep more? take more days off? take a week off?
With the high potential of overtraining and because of the demanding nature of those lifts, you probably can still make comparable gains using easier routines for now.

Hope this helps.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wtf? Bro u come on here judging me and bashing all my posts and expect me to know all about BB right from the get go. U basically go out and tell me that my goal is impossible to reach and then suggest a routine that I can't yet use.
I'm not saying it is impossible, but you make the same thread over and over and over. What you want takes years to develop, but, for some reason, you expect it to happen practically overnight.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
I'm not saying it is impossible, but you make the same thread over and over and over. What you want takes years to develop, but, for some reason, you expect it to happen practically overnight.
I don't remember ever mentioning how soon I want my goals.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't remember ever mentioning how soon I want my goals.
You constantly make a thread about getting X result. I can extrapolate from there.

Then again, that may be part of the problem. Instead of seeing a long-term goal, why not break it up into smaller fragments?

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
You constantly make a thread about getting X result. I can extrapolate from there.

Then again, that may be part of the problem. Instead of seeing a long-term goal, why not break it up into smaller fragments?
As in how? Cuz my goal for now thru this thread was a stronger bigger chest.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As in how? Cuz my goal for now thru this thread was a stronger bigger chest.
This is subjective and not measurable. What you need is a specific, reasonable goal (+40 lbs on a lift in 2-3 months is not realistic) with a deliberate plan to achieve said goal.

bi0hazurd

Awards
  • Established
This is subjective and not measurable. What you need is a specific, reasonable goal (+40 lbs on a lift in 2-3 months is not realistic) with a deliberate plan to achieve said goal.
How is that not realistic? I've done that before

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How is that not realistic? I've done that before
This is exactly what I'm talking about. You do realize that strength and/or LBM gains are not linear, right? You'd be lucky to add another 40 lbs over the next 6-8 months.

I gained a solid 30 lbs of muscle in my first 2 years training. It would be foolish to think that I could do that over the next 2 years because that's not how it works.

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
Yea but isn't DC a specific routine. If I follow it by the letter what would be the difference
If you think you can do DC, give it a shot. But... if your not ready for it, it will do you no good.

jeffh3c

jeffh3c

Awards
  • Established
I've been working out since I was 13 so 5 years now. I'd honestly have to say that with a real routine like 5x5 I've only been working out for about a year. I've seen great gains in strength and size since starting 5x5 and modifying my diet. I do wanna look good tho so I add in certain iso movements for the parts of my body that are lacking size and shape.
At 18 I would say the routine is definitely not too much. At that age your body is able to recover much quicker, and adapt to new programs much better. Your still on your body's peak age for growth, use it while you can!