GYM SHOES???

S

snopro30

Awards
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a new pair of gym shoes. Probably going to open a can of worms here, but I was wondering what would be the best TYPE of shoe to get for my training program. I'm currently on a 5 day a week strength training program, most weight lifters at my gym say to wear flat bottom no cushion shoes for lifting (such as Chuck Taylors). Here's the catch, I do an hour of cardio per workout either ride the stationary bike or run on the elliptical. Do I really need two pairs of shoes or is there some type of cross trainer that will suit both needs?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a new pair of gym shoes. Probably going to open a can of worms here, but I was wondering what would be the best TYPE of shoe to get for my training program. I'm currently on a 5 day a week strength training program, most weight lifters at my gym say to wear flat bottom no cushion shoes for lifting (such as Chuck Taylors). Here's the catch, I do an hour of cardio per workout either ride the stationary bike or run on the elliptical. Do I really need two pairs of shoes or is there some type of cross trainer that will suit both needs?
You could get a crosstrainer - getting two pairs of shoes is a little excessive, IMO. I usually train in whatever shoes are going to be the best for the cardio that I am going to be doing if I go to the gym - my running shoes, skatey shoes, cross-trainers, or sneakers. Just depends on the individual and their personal preference.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

M

Ms9

Awards
Get a black pair on nike frees. Everyone in the gym has them.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
If you're only doing elliptical or bike riding, why do you need a pair other than the aforementioned chuck taylors? You're not running so you don't need to worry about a cross trainer. If anything, the chucks will help strengthen your feet.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're only doing elliptical or bike riding, why do you need a pair other than the aforementioned chuck taylors? You're not running so you don't need to worry about a cross trainer. If anything, the chucks will help strengthen your feet.
Word.

There's very, very little impact from those forms of cardio. I bring my running shoes and my Chuck's to the gym on my ME lower days when I do some light cardio after lifting, but most of my other cardio is barefoot (e.g. Thai boxing, conditioning, etc.)

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
i got more kicks than a kung fu fight if im squatting its chucks or barefoot, i like nike frees too.... And then any other time im in other nike kicks

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Word.

There's very, very little impact from those forms of cardio. I bring my running shoes and my Chuck's to the gym on my ME lower days when I do some light cardio after lifting, but most of my other cardio is barefoot (e.g. Thai boxing, conditioning, etc.)
Similar situation here. I don't have Chuck's, but I wear a flat bottom shoe from payless. It helps with my leg workouts, especially calves.

jeffh3c

jeffh3c

Awards
  • Established
I use my flip flops in my home squat rack, but usually end up in my running shoes at the gym. I dont like the extra heel lift that the running shoes have, but I also dont like so much crap in my bag that it doesn't fit in the tiny locker I have....

Whats a good shoe that is flat besides the chucks

M

midlandindian

Awards
It depends on what type of lifts you're doing. If you're doing squats, cleans, deads, etc., then a shoe with a really thin sole will help increase your ground reaction force, which is your pushing off against the ground. The higher your GRF, the more power you produce. And, like wearedbleedblue said, your cardio activities are low impact, so you don't necessarily need a very cushiony sole.

Moozkillzman

Moozkillzman

Awards
If you're doing any sort of leg movement whether it be presses or squats I think getting a shoe with a low heel can help

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
You should always have a flat bottom shoe when doing any leg workout. The less cushion the better. If your doing low impact cardio no need to get another kind of shoe. However if your running which involves a lot more impact you probably should wear a running shoe. A cheap shoe to by is skateboarding shoes. Just go to walmart/target/k-mart and get a pair. Your not worred about quality cause basically you just want to cover your feet. The typical weight lifting shoe is a high top. I don't think they are necessary because your getting some ankle support. You want to train as natural as possible. Move as close to barefoot as you can. You get more muscles involved and more of the right ones. A cushioned heel will overload your calves.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For squats and deads I use my old wrestling shoes from when I was coaching. For everything else I have a pair of NB 993. As a severe over pronator with flat as a board feet, its the only thing I can use. Damn ugly shoe though

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
For squats and deads I use my old wrestling shoes from when I was coaching. For everything else I have a pair of NB 993. As a severe over pronator with flat as a board feet, its the only thing I can use. Damn ugly shoe though
Look into "the stick" to loosen up your calves. It works great for me. Also do some plantar flexion (the opposite way of flexing your calves). Do a little every day and this will help alot.

D

Drac58

Awards
Defintely check out the five finger shoes. I hated the look but they are really comfortable to lift and run in.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Defintely check out the five finger shoes. I hated the look but they are really comfortable to lift and run in.
How are these to run in? They really made me think this summer when I ran on the beach barefoot and my joints felt better then running with my running shoes on a rubber track. Sometimes I feel like my running shoes cause instability even though they are motion controlled shoes.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Look into "the stick" to loosen up your calves. It works great for me. Also do some plantar flexion (the opposite way of flexing your calves). Do a little every day and this will help alot.
Awesome my friend.....thank you very much

J

Jabb

Awards
How are these to run in? They really made me think this summer when I ran on the beach barefoot and my joints felt better then running with my running shoes on a rubber track. Sometimes I feel like my running shoes cause instability even though they are motion controlled shoes.
I have read the same thing from multiple people on multiple sites. All of them say they are great, and they rebuild the arch of your foot supposedly. $80-85 for something like that isn't too bad.

For deadlifts, squats I have an old shoe I used to do Kung Fu in where you can actually grasp the ground with your toes. Their like wearing nothing at all, and I believe only cost about $20 dollars. There is no way you can run in them though.

Also for your foot has anyone tried standing one foot at a time on a tennis ball and moving your foot over it? This feels really good and is said to really help alleviate foot and leg pain. Dan John is the first person I heard of talk about using this with his athletes.

geronimo542

geronimo542

Awards
chucks in my opinion hurt my feet and I never found extremely flat shoes to be beneficial for squats. I would get a pair of running shoes nike or new balance something that would be good for some jogging and something you can lift weights in.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
One thing that I've tried to use are the Vibram five fingered shoes. They are a little pricey but so are shoes in general. They grip better on the floor while doing squats or any weight lifting exercise per se. These shoes also could be good for jogging or doing cardio because they are more natural feeling and are more comfortable.
I love my 5 finger shoes. I have the bikila blue ones. I used those most the time and my addidas power lifting shoes for dead lifts when I feel I really need to use my heels.

UNCLE COOL

UNCLE COOL

Awards
get the @ss shaper ones. even saw that now there making close to shape your body while you do nothing. LOL. No really it depends on what your doing.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
I couldn't find a five finger to fit me, that was in stock, so I just bought some chucks. They suck for the walk to the gym from the truck, but they kick ass in the gym. 30 bucks too.

V

VeganMike

Awards
Get some strength shoes like the Reebok easy tone or the Skechers kind. I own both and they've helped me a lot.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Those look pretty sweet. As a soldier who HAS to run (damnit) I hate lifting in shoes I run in, because I always buy good shoes and squatting/leg pressing just kills the sole so fast

For the longest time I just kicked my shoes off right before I started a set of squats or deads and them slid them back on, but that got old after awhile.