Need help for police training...

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Well I was big into lifting heavy weights and getting huge buy now it time in my life to do something. I am becoming yes a cop. Don't judge and I won't but as most of you know they are not into looming huge they run. They do sit-ups pullups and pushups. So I am asking for your help on how to start training for this?!? I am 195-200lbs with 13-16 bf and would like to be 185 at 10 percent but here is what I need to do. 50 pushups 85 sit-ups in 2 min. Run a mile in 7 min. Do 12 pull ups all in a row. How would you guys suggest doing this? I was thinking run 2 days followed by pushups and pulls ups and then 3 days of starting strength? But if you have any better ideas that will let me lose all this fat and keep my muscle I worked so hard for (from 145 to 200 in about 2 years) please help me out. Thanks

TeddyNorcross

Awards
Well I was big into lifting heavy weights and getting huge buy now it time in my life to do something. I am becoming yes a cop. Don't judge and I won't but as most of you know they are not into looming huge they run. They do sit-ups pullups and pushups. So I am asking for your help on how to start training for this?!? I am 195-200lbs with 13-16 bf and would like to be 185 at 10 percent but here is what I need to do. 50 pushups 85 sit-ups in 2 min. Run a mile in 7 min. Do 12 pull ups all in a row. How would you guys suggest doing this? I was thinking run 2 days followed by pushups and pulls ups and then 3 days of starting strength? But if you have any better ideas that will let me lose all this fat and keep my muscle I worked so hard for (from 145 to 200 in about 2 years) please help me out. Thanks

I would grow a mustache and get some mirrored aviator sunglasses and the rest will fall into place.

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
How's this sound? Monday run 1.5 miles do sit-ups pull ups and pushups (3 sets to failure on everything except run) also do this same thing on wed. Then on tues do squats military press and rows. Then thurs do squats bench and deads. Then on sat run 3 miles do some planks and 25 mountain climbers

TeddyNorcross

Awards
How's this sound? Monday run 1.5 miles do sit-ups pull ups and pushups (3 sets to failure on everything except run) also do this same thing on wed. Then on tues do squats military press and rows. Then thurs do squats bench and deads. Then on sat run 3 miles do some planks and 25 mountain climbers

How does this sound. without the right tools you WILL fail. When a perp tries to look into your eyes and read your mind you've gotta make sure all they see is their own reflection coupled with a bushy upper lip fro.

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Trust me you will only be seeing my big bushy upper lip. Thanks for the help man off to get some miracle grow for my upper lip

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Several questions arise.

First, your minimal goals, as already stated

50 push ups (and?) 85 situps in 2 min (or 2 min per test?)
12 pull ups (how do they judge a complete pull up?)
1 mile run

How much time do you have until your fitness test?

I believe certain precincts/districts also look at measures of health, such as resting heart rate and blood pressure. Will definetly be worth finding out if the one you are applying to does.

Next, where are you at?
How many pushups/situps can you do in 2 min?
How many pullups can you do in a row?
What is your 1 mile time?

These measures are needed.

Your current fitness level in comarison with where you need to be will allow you to set a progressive map of goals.
Next, you formulate a plan to reach these goals.
As you re-evaluate along the way, based on progression/regression, fatigue, etc. you can tweak or even reformulate the program.

But, it all depends where you are currently at.

Obviously, dropping excess body fat will increase your performance in all 3 tests, but what we need to figure out is what needs the most work.

For example, if you can only do 35 pushups, what is holding you back? Is it triceps/shoulder strength? Is it primary muscular fatigue (pushing muscles)? Is it local core fatigue (ab complex, deep core muscles, etc.)? Is it mechanics and form?

Lets answer some of these questions before we start throwing out random routines without any defined objectives.

Br

drvinnybombat

Awards
The time frame is important here. If you have 6 months, I would do 2-3 months of power and strength along with 2 cardio days where you just run. Try a 9.0 MPH pace and work your way up to 1.5 miles, then 7:00 will be easy.

If you have 3 months, I would try Crossfit. They are very pull-up and push-up heavy. You should also throw in running the mile and 2-3 mile distances.

If you're talking about weeks, then just train the test. Sets of push-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups. You're also going to want to run often if you're not a great runner right now. It's not the best workout, but It will probably get you to a passing grade in a short time.

Tell me the test date, and I can give you a more specific plan.

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys I have five months. Give or take a week or two. I'm thinking of tryin to get to 185-190 at 10percent would be great. It is 2 min for each test. I can do about 35 pushups I would think alot of that is because of my body fat being to high. Situps I haven't tested. Pull ups are completely straight down with no help from legs an locked out on everyone. I did these today and got 8. Um i been bulking for about 8 months from 160 to 210 I'm gonna hate to be back down to 185 again but I might look bigger if my bodyfat is low. My diet is gonna be high protein moderate fat and carbs about 100 a day. What can I do to save all my muscle?!? Or as much as possible? Maybe green tea and cla? Thanks for all te help an other questions just ask

drvinnybombat

Awards
If you've been bulking that long, and I'm assuming lifting heavy you may want to get away from super low reps and the like for your purpose. Assuming you can Bench 225 a couple of times off of your chest and do the 8 dead hang pull-ups in a row, losing weight alone will get you over the bar. I expect the run will present the greatest challenge.

Start with 2-3 months of a strength base through a 5x5, specifically this (spreadsheet at bottom of the webpage).

http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

But replace the row/clean exercises with dead hang pull-ups (just like the test). Just 5 sets until failure, use a weight belt when you get over 15. Also forget the arm assistance on Friday completely. Try to run a slow 1/2-1 mile directly after to promote fat loss.

On the off days, work on the run. You'll want to hit a pace of 9.0 and sustain it for 1.5 mi. That will make a 7:00 mile a joke. You can start working the speed and distance up to that level. Other days, turn the treadmill on 10.0 or above and do run/rest intervals. I started at 30 sec run, then jump off for 30 repeated 5-10 times. Now I do tabatas, :20/:10 x 8, and they're hard as sh**. But I also got myself to a sub 6:00 mile.

Honestly, you should pass the test after a month of this, but you can then switch to something that is pull-up and push-up centric. I recommend CrossFit, but there are a ton of bodyweight heavy routines, even P90X.

In terms of weight loss and diet, I would not worry about muscle loss at all. You don't need a crazy calorie deficit, as long as you eat clean, it should be ok. Just run a simulation of the test yourself after a month and see. But keep one thing in mind; running on a track with turns will be slower than a treadmill, and even slower outside, even slower if it's cold.

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Hey Thanks alot I will start next Monday finish out this week with heavy weight then go into what you say thanks again

dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez

Awards
Whats with all the mustache jokes, I am a cop and don't have a mustache. Although to annoy my partner I did buy a pair of cheap, huge aviator sunglasses. It was pretty funny, my nickname was Ponch for about a year, he hated those sunglasses.
I recommend that you start running alot, pushups and sit-ups wont be a problem after a few weeks. When I started the academy I was 5'8" 192 lbs of muscle. I had been running before but the intensity was much more during the academy. We started out running a half mile and added a half mile every week until we were up to six miles a day at 9 min mile pace. After the academy I weighed 149 lbs, lost allot of muscle. It took a good year to get up to 185 who is about where I am at now.

Machwon1

Awards
  • Established
Damn there gonna run off ad much as 40lbs?!? I was expecting to be like 185 entering the academy and like 170 getting out of it.. I cant imagine being 150lbs. Were you strong though? And at a very low body fat?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I would do as much as you can OFF the treadmill after a month. You're test is going to be on a solid surface, not a treadmill, you need to get used to running on one and creating your own pace.

P90X ... i can't say enough bad things about it. You'll create some serious muscular imbalances taking part in this program.

If you want to maintain muscle, do not drop your calories and carbohydrates excessively. Carbohydrates are very anti-catabolic, don't turn them into the evil that the modern pink leotard fitness crew has turned them into.

Try some HIIT for conditioning as well. Get to the track and run some 100's.

Br

Joelvandekrol

Awards
I recommend seeking an education and learning how to type properly first. Your spelling and sentence structure is mediocre at best.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i would do weighted pull ups and pushups and dips to get prepared. as for running, get a jump rope and do that to condition yourself. but dont do this in place of running.