What exercise to wear a lifting belt?

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey all, Just went out an purchased my very first lifting belt. YA FOR ME!!!
Originally I bought it so i can go heavy as hell on deadlifts and not say, dont want to hurt my back, so im not trying. But my question is, what are other exercises to use the belt. Probrably squat, but not sure of any other.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
deads. squats. any sort of bent rows like t-bars or bb rows.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rows...HMM...hadnt thought of that.MAybe i can finally put on some weight for my bent over row knowing i got my belt. sweet man thanks alot

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
deads. squats. any sort of bent rows like t-bars or bb rows.
Agreed.

It's best to not have to use it, so don't rely on it, but for DL's, Squats, and Bent Over Rows, you're going to want to use it when you get in the 5-rep range and below.

What kind of belt was it you purchased?

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
Depends on the belt.

Guys will bench with their belts as well. Holding your whole girdle in tight helps with big lifts.

Squats/leg press (girdle)/bench/deads/stiff legged deads,

What IC said though too, you dont wanna rely on it per se. If you need it to build confidence in your lifts, just remember to revert back and get some work in without it. There was a time I refused to use a belt, no straps, or any support gear but there was also the time I needed it for confidence..

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed.

It's best to not have to use it, so don't rely on it, but for DL's, Squats, and Bent Over Rows, you're going to want to use it when you get in the 5-rep range and below.

What kind of belt was it you purchased?
I bought a Harbinger 6" leather belt. I think My butt may be too big for it, or I need to tighten it up more. I was messing with it last night put it on. Went through the motion of a deadlift, but when I got to the bottom, it kinda slid up a little on my lower back. I took it off and tightened a little tighter, did the same motion and slid a little bit. I noticed that if I keep my back a certain way it didnt move. Maybe my form is a little off and causing it to move.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any lift where the core must be tight the entire lift is when you should where a belt, but only for heavier/max effort sets.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I only ever wear my belt for deads, squats, and standing overhead military presses.

I've never worn it for bent over T-bar rows...or rows of any sort, and never had a problem, or felt the need for it.

Agreed to wear only for heavy weights/max efforts.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
sq dl bb rows

i dont like it for ohp

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Can any one suggest why it slid on me when I mock deadlifted the night I got it? It may have not been tight enough. Im messing with it tonight at the gym

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can any one suggest why it slid on me when I mock deadlifted the night I got it? It may have not been tight enough. Im messing with it tonight at the gym
It's probably not tight enough. A belt should not be comfortable to wear since it's supposed to keep everything tight. I laugh when I see guys going through there whole session with a belt on since it's really not doing anything of merit.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
OK..cool thats what I thought

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you work out in my gym, apparently you wear a belt for bicep curls and tricep pushdowns too :p

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
belts are for penochas...

just kiddin bro spare that back of yours! lol

i got a belt on the way soon

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Southern your just going to be pissed when im the deadlift KING!!!

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I crank the belt down as tight as I can possibly get it, losen it inbetween sets and let the heat / sweat from your body eventually "mold" and break it in

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cool, yeah I used it tonight. I can def tell it needs to be broken in ,but on my first squat is was a little crooked and left some gnarly pinch marks..lOL....Man I tightened that puppy as much as I could...DAYUM,,,,But I felt very supported. I had courage enough to do 225 on squat( I know that aint shiz. But i never really did them before and never went over 185 because of my knee) I banged out 3 sets of 8. Man does my ass hurt!!

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
yeah takes a while to break it in, just keep it on losely between sets.

object w/ belt is push out w/ ur belly n it keeps your back nice n tight. You'll notice how your kinda "sway" when you first start using it. its cools shiiit

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I bought a Harbinger 6" leather belt. I think My butt may be too big for it, or I need to tighten it up more. I was messing with it last night put it on. Went through the motion of a deadlift, but when I got to the bottom, it kinda slid up a little on my lower back. I took it off and tightened a little tighter, did the same motion and slid a little bit. I noticed that if I keep my back a certain way it didnt move. Maybe my form is a little off and causing it to move.
Are you able to return the belt? - I'd honestly go with something that has more support/resistance.

Check out EliteFTS, Inzer, or APT. Look into the 13mm Single Prong belts. - I bought mines from EFS when it was on sale for $53. I love it. far better than the Schiek leather belt I used to wear. Takes a good bit to break it in, but you'll love it once you do.

Just a word from a powerlifter. ;)

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Mine's an Inzer! Inzer products are solid!

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No once I tightened it I had no problems. I like it so Ill stick with it for now

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
Yeah they need to break in. I use one on anything where I'm bent over with weight. That said don't rely on it as you need to strengthen that area as much as you can as you continue to increase your lifts. I don't use it until I get to my last 2 heavy sets or if I'm doing 5 reps or less.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
I use a weight belt for deads, bench, and heavy over head barbell press and thats pretty much it

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my answer before was comedy, and I forgot to add the serious answer. I only wear a belt on squats and deads, and even for those only if i'm over 250lbs on squat, or over 300 on deads. I sometimes put it on for bent over rows, more to remind me of form though than for support.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I would never use it. Only for maxing I'd think about it.

JoHNnyNuTZ

JoHNnyNuTZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah...Ultimately thats all I will be using it for. But Im wearing it during most my sqauts and towards the end of my deads...Gotta break that shiot in!

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
my answer before was comedy, and I forgot to add the serious answer. I only wear a belt on squats and deads, and even for those only if i'm over 250lbs on squat, or over 300 on deads. I sometimes put it on for bent over rows, more to remind me of form though than for support.
Same here ... though I put it on for Deads at around 250 also.

I don't wear it for bent over rows - maybe I should. I was hefting a 150 DB on rows with my left arm last week - and actually pulled a muscle in my RIGHT rib cage. Felt like I had broken a rib for a moment. I can still feel it a bit this week but I lowered the weight to 130 and increased reps today to keep it safe from further damage.

nerdalert

Awards
I was just looking into getting a belt, I found a good deal on one that I like. I will only be using it for squats and deads.

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
I've never used a belt before, and maybe I should try it but... I always thought that using a belt for squats or DL was only when you're getting close to 1.80x~2x body weight... I was able to do 3x5 of 130kg squats and 1x5 135kg Deads w/o a belt, and didn't feel that one was really necessary. I can see how a belt would be beneficial as a confidence builder or to correct form, but seems like it would become more of a handicap if used past that on weights around 1.5x bodyweight.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I almost feel like un-recommending the belt for bb rows. Part of the motion requires you to bring the bar in to your belly, and if you're wearing a belt it's going to get in the way of that crucial 2 inches. I sometimes have worn the gym-provided belts (they're paper thin) when I've done bent over rows after deadlifting, but I wouldn't do it really.

But yeah, I use mine for squats and for standing military presses.

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
Heavy is relative. What is heavy?
If a paltry 135lb squat is "heavy," should one use a belt? I'm sure most would agree that a belt is not needed at 135lb for the average male. So, when, as a percentage of bw, or static wt, would one recommend using a belt?

g0hardorgohom

g0hardorgohom

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wouldn't use belt in any exercise if not really needed.. Deadlifts and squats are that kind of exercises that I could consider using belt.. And only at 1 rep max tests, not before I can do reps with +400lbs in deadlift and +300lbs in squat without belt..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Heavy is relative. What is heavy?
If a paltry 135lb squat is "heavy," should one use a belt? I'm sure most would agree that a belt is not needed at 135lb for the average male. So, when, as a percentage of bw, or static wt, would one recommend using a belt?
You kinda overthought your statement. Heavy is relative to the person and should be used at >85% 1RM regardless of the raw weight.

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
You kinda overthought your statement. Heavy is relative to the person and should be used at >85% 1RM regardless of the raw weight.
Well, what I meant was, would you really recommend using a belt if an average person say... 165lb, 5'9", 18%bf... could only lift 165 for a 1RM? When suggesting that using a weight belt for lifting "heavy," one should really clarify what "heavy" is, in relative terms. Personally, I don't think anyone who can't do a minimum of 8reps @ 1.25bw (for squats/DL) should ever use a weight belt for those lifts. Nor should they be trying for their 1RM. But that's just me. I'd like to try using a weight belt to see if I can hit 2x bw on my squats. Now that would be awsome.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, what I meant was, would you really recommend using a belt if an average person say... 165lb, 5'9", 18%bf... could only lift 165 for a 1RM? When suggesting that using a weight belt for lifting "heavy," one should really clarify what "heavy" is, in relative terms. Personally, I don't think anyone who can't do a minimum of 8reps @ 1.25bw (for squats/DL) should ever use a weight belt for those lifts. Nor should they be trying for their 1RM. But that's just me. I'd like to try using a weight belt to see if I can hit 2x bw on my squats. Now that would be awsome.
This is too extreme, but I agree with the general thought. Working on your 1RM even if it's low is not problematic. I do see a problem though if you're wearing a belt for squats and your 1RM is sub 200, and that is about your body weight. At the end of the day the weight belt is only going to help you lift, not do the lifting for you, and you'll need the core strength to move heavier weight (we can safely assume you wish to move more weight at some point in time). Thus, train without a belt until you start reaching supra BW lifts to develop that core strength, and only when you're lifting somewhat heavy in an absolute sense use a belt (be it for 1 rep or 20 reps).

I also never use a belt for deadlifting or rack pulling, but perhaps that's just a personal preference. I do have to bend forward a lot more than most people when I squat so I guess I dont use a belt for pulling to further develop my lower back.