Deadlift Questions

Rock Lee

Awards
A couple of questions about deads:

1. Is there anything that can be done about bloody and/or bruised shins? Sometimes it doesn't bother me but other times it hurts so bad I have to stop the set prematurely. I was thinking about wearing shin guards...:eek: Or maybe just some pants that would be worn only when DLing.

2. I know deads work your back a great deal, but is it normal for the car ride home from the gym to be...painful? Is this just muscle soreness or is that pain an indication that I'm using bad form or something? The only reason I ask is because I've read a couple of horror stories lately about people who say they performed deadlifts years ago, always making sure they're using perfect form, and now they're backs are shot.

3. This probably isn't excluse to deads, but whenever I do them, I get these rash type things that actually bleed on the underside of my forearm. It's no big deal, but I'm just curious what they are and what exactly causes them.

Thanks. :D

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Dude, I've never heard of those kinda problems before. Sounds like bad form to me. I've trained a few people and none of those guys have that problem.

DougMan

Awards
Yea the chin thing makes me think you are using too much weight. You should have complete control throughout the movement and I dont think you would purposefully bang the hell out of your chins.
2. That is sort of hard quesiton. You really have to listen to your body. There are back pumps and then there is strain.
3. Do you use straps? Thats the only thing I could think of that would cause a rash. Perhaps switch up to a different type? I dont know and have never heard of this problem before.

And about people saying they use perfect form and get hurt from deads... I have yet to see anyone in my gym always use perfect form. Its hard to worry about form if you are really going balls to wall. You really have to make a conscious effort. I find that if I think my form is off I will stop moving up in weight, and instead focus on form and reps.

Perhaps someone more knowledgable such as IA could be of more help.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Actually several descriptions of dead form I've read indicated that the bar should be basically dragged up the shins or as close to it as possible. I try to wear sweats and keep the velcro back pad on the bar.

What say IA?

Also, are 20 rep deads a viable alternative to going super heavy?

DougMan

Awards
Actually several descriptions of dead form I've read indicated that the bar should be basically dragged up the shins or as close to it as possible. I try to wear sweats and keep the velcro back pad on the bar.

What say IA?

Also, are 20 rep deads a viable alternative to going super heavy?

really? I always thought it was as close to shins as possible but not touching. Dont you hit your knees then? It only took a few good pops in the knees to make me rethink my form

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You guys should all check out the videos on IA's website. http://ironaddicts.com/Video/

I recommend watching 545deads. I watched these videos over and over when I first started doing deads. THIS GUY'S FORM IS PERFECT!

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Another good one is 500x10squat. VERY IMPRESSIVE!

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Also you could switch styles to a sumo style one

Ceaze

Awards
If your shins are too close to the bar then you have to pull the bar forward to get it over your knees before you can pull it backward. If your shoulders aren't behind the bar when you deadlift then your form needs fixing

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
if you are scraping your shins, that's a good sign. deadlifting is all about mechanical advantage (oh yeah, and pain!) and the shorter the lever arm, the more efficient the lift. short lever arm = closer to the shins.

wear socks, or long pants.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
3. This probably isn't excluse to deads, but whenever I do them, I get these rash type things that actually bleed on the underside of my forearm. It's no big deal, but I'm just curious what they are and what exactly causes them.
Mine don't bleed, but I get those too. They get pretty red though, especially on heavy lifts. No straps. My guess was just the tension caused it.

Supa Freek 420

Supa Freek 420

E-BOLLER
Awards
  • Established

Thanks. :D
Especially when doing 20-reppers, I get these too but don't bleed. I don't worry about it though.

Siberian

Awards
Is that sarcasm? He kind of just drops the weight after he lifts it.
Rock -

That's because he is a powerlifter and doesn't put as much time/effort into the negative part of the lift. He is just getting the weight down quickly so that he can focus on an explosive positive again.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Beat me to it Siberian, BB isn't the only way to train ;)

ManBeast

Alt+F4

Back in the gym after 6 months of being a *****
Awards
I agree that a PL isn't gonna slowly lower the weight, but what's with that dude not locking out at the top? Would that lift be legal in a meet? I've never been to a meet before but it really looks like he's not locking out at all...

And to try to answer Rock Lee's initial questions...

1 - You can get a cheap pair of shinguards, or wear pants, or jsut deal with it. When I first started I got them bad. Now I just barely skim my shins on the way up.

2 - Although it's tough to diagnose through a message board, I bet I know what you're talking about. Is this a lower back pain that's pretty acute, and is painful almost to the point of affecting you when you walk? Like your back is begging you to sit down, and even when you do it hurts? I'd say that's not a problem...sounds like weak back muscles to me. When I first started squatting I'd get this, and sometimes when I don't warmup properly I'll get it. It's pretty debilitating initially, but once it goes away you're fine. Does that sound somewhat accurate?

3 - I get this too, and I'm always left thinking 'wtf did i just do to my forearms'. But if you do a simulated conventional deadlift, your arms will probably scrape the outside of your pantleg. I know mine does, on the way down more than up for whatever reason.

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
he was obviously using way less weight than his max.
all were countable accept for the second he quick repped. who cares about the very top , we all know he was good for a bill50 more.

USE 5,237,486: DUCK TAPE!!!

PLZ use it, I hate brushing the blood off the bar from the last donor who used it.
it dusts up, and then you might inhale it,f'n sick of maroon dust!!!!!!

mickjagger

Awards
lather up your shins with lotion right before deads. the bar will slide over your skin rather than shredding it. You may still get some mild bruising if you are getting real intense, but no blood.....

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
One thing that worked for me was sliding my knee neoprenes down to my shins. The cushion kind of helped.

FRANK

Awards
bloody shins from deadlifts

I wear my knee wraps that i would normally wear to squat with.I just wrap them tightly around my ankle on up and it works fine! My work out partner says that i look like the wicked witch from the west [the wraps are red striped].