Best of both worlds

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
So i have finally been gaining some mass and putting on some weight. But now i have a problem. Lately, i have been lifting heavy with low reps, but now i need to get my endurance. Mainly to increase overall strength and endurance, getting ready for the navy. I need to get in the best condition of my life, but i still wouldnt mind putting on some more size. So i was thinking of doing like ever week or every other to switch workouts. Lets say one week to do low rep, high weight. Then the following week to do high rep, low weight. Some variation of that. What would be best?

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Everyone is different, and will respond differently.

I think you have the right idea. Try alternating weeks, and see how your body responds.

When do you ship out?

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is the battery of tests the navy uses for fitness?

You'll want to design a conditioning program that focuses on increasing your performance in these tests. Once that is done, you can add back in your strength/hypertrophy training.

Br

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can look for PRRS training, its structured that way in general

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
well i am trying to get a contract for the seals. i dont know my ship date yet, but im in d.e.p and no way around it because of how many people they over recruited. so the wait is up to a year

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Google sealfit. Its like crossfit but designed for navy seals. If you can make it through a few weeks of that, you can do anything they'll throw at you.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
If you want to be a Navy seal you're going to have to focus all your training for that goal. With the amount of endurance work they do, you don't need to worry about getting any bigger. You obviously need some strength, but you also need a ton of strength endurance and aerobic fitness. I used to go and give nutrition lectures to the Air Force special forces training classes and the physical training they do is brutal. I would also recommend the previously mentioned crossfit-type programs as they incorporate a bit of everything and will help build the kind of endurance you will need.

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
anyone know where i can find some of there workouts, without paying these ridiculous prices

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
call me stupid but i cant understand half that jargon

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Read through the site and figure it out then. The link you posted isn't even close to the kind of conditioning work you need to be doing for the SEALs. There are faq on the site that explains the exercises. They are very tough, usually taking 1-2 hours to complete. Calf raises, shrugs, curls, triceps work? That's not what you need to be doing for conditioning work. Maybe if you're remedial and need to get to a base level first then it will be alright. If you are serious about the SEALs and not just BSing, you need to work harder than you ever thought you could/would. Don't be a puss and look for an easier way out. This is legit conditioning that many SEALs actually do.

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
yess sir, im starting next week, i already started running. 1.5 mile in 8:54 today, with smoker lungs. stupid phase, smoked for 3 years (pack a week) and recently quit.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yess sir, im starting next week, i already started running. 1.5 mile in 8:54 today, with smoker lungs. stupid phase, smoked for 3 years (pack a week) and recently quit.
Haha someone calling me sir :laugh:

Nice just keep with it and have some of those long pain in the ass runs too. Congrats on quitting never picked up that habit thank God.

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
just following orders :p

but seriously, i need to get 4 miles under 29 minutes. running a little farther every run, 3x a week

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
just following orders :p

but seriously, i need to get 4 miles under 29 minutes. running a little farther every run, 3x a week
Running that distance in that time alone might get you into the program but you will crash and burn if you don't do the rest of the conditioning of the program. A lot of the workouts are long and tough to help develop mental toughness so you won't quit when things get hard. Good luck man, post your workouts on here when you start doing them and how you're doing at them. Smash it.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ya it is going to be one of those u will quit mentally way before u do physically. The sport/activity I can most equate this to is wrestling. Find someone who is willing to push u further than u could possibly push urself bc that is what they r going to do.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
I might be willing to do a few weeks of seal fit to compete a little bit with you if you're interested.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I might be willing to do a few weeks of seal fit to compete a little bit with you if you're interested.
Id take him up on that offer. Idk what it is but it makes it a little easier to me knowing someone else is going through the same hell I am or about to.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Well it looks like you and I are in, now we just need to get the Navy guy in haha.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well it looks like you and I are in, now we just need to get the Navy guy in haha.
Lol no I meant if I was trying to join I would take u up on that offer. Right now I am in PCT the last thing I want to do is lose my strength gains.

Thanks for the offer though. Maybe another time when I want to get to 200.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Do you want to do today's workout tomorrow or start with tomorrow's workout tomorrow? They suggest splitting the two workouts up for the first week or so but if you want to do it at the same time you're more than welcome to.

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
Todays sounds good. Im goin to work in a bit but ill hit it up as soon as i get off, after my pre-workout meal of coarse

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
i did the pullups, bench press, crunches, but couldn't do the sand bag exercises because i didnt have a sandbag, working on getting one. i didnt know if im suppose to do all the work capacity, strength and durability.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Sorry man I've been wiped out this past week, so much I had to do. I'm in starting tomorrow. The workout is as follows:

Warm Up: Range of Motion drills. 1 mile run, then 21-15-9 Thruster (45#), sit-ups

Work Capacity: AMRAP 30 minutes:
5 x Burpee, 10 x Pistol (5 ea side), 15 x Knees to Elbow

Section 2:
Strength: Work to 1RM Squat Clean (SC)

Stamina: 5 rounds, not timed: 3 x SC @ 80% 1RM, 10 x 4-count jumping lunge, Buddy Carry 50M

Durability: 50 x GHD sit-ups. 50 x GHD hip extension. Eccentric Stretch or Foam Roll

I'm going to get at it at 9am tomorrow morning and I'll post shortly afterwards. Smash it.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Work capacity - 8 2/3 rounds or 9 2/3 rounds, lost count

1RM Squat Clean/Full clean - worked to 220

Stamina - 5 rounds at 175x3 cleans, 10 jumping lunge, 50m sandbag carry

Stretched and called it a day.

Hardest part for me was the knees to elbows. I paced myself way too much and should have gotten in at least 1 more round.

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
how long do you wait before you start the 2nd section

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
5-10 minutes between my first warmup set of cleans and the 30 minutes of conditioning beforehand. After my 1rm, I had another 5 min rest. The stamina stuff is to be done at an easy pace.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Tomorrow's workout:
Warm Up: ROM Drills. Sprints 10 x 100M :)20 interval)
Work Capacity: For time:
50 x Wall Ball, 50 x Pull-up, 50 x Thruster (95#), Run 800M
50 x Power Clean (95#), 50 x Doulbe Unders, 50 x Push Press (95#), Run 400M
50 x Push-ups, 50 x Box Jumps, 50 x Burpees, Run 800M
Durability: Plank holds 3 x 2 minutes each. Stretch.

Should be interesting. Skip wall balls if you don't have a ball/medicine ball to throw. Sub 150 jumps with a jump rope for the double unders if you can't do them.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That kind of stuff wears me out just to read it, much less do it.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Finished in 53:58. Should have pushed out the last 800 a little quicker but went too quick on my first one and had to recover more than I wanted to.

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
i skipped 2 days cause i had to take care of some things. btw how many days do you do the sealfit in a week

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Sealfit is programmed as 3 hard days, a recovery day, another hard day, then an active rest.

I did yesterday's workout in 24:37. Today is a recovery day with a long hike/walk with a 40lb pack.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Today's workout:

Baseline: 20 x Sand Bag Get-ups (each side)

Work Capacity For Time:
25 x Burpees
100 x Wall Balls
100 x Double Unders
25 x Burpees
Strength: Work to 3RM Dead Lift
Stamina: 5 Rounds, not timed: 3 x DL @ 90% 3RM, 20 x 4-count Mountain Climber, Buddy Carry 50M
Durability: 1 mile run at moderate pace. Yoga or Active Stretch 15 minutes.

I subbed 10 minutes of kb windmills and bottoms up press/walk for the 1 mile run. I need to work on my kb skills.

My work capacity time was 18:14. Worked up to a 350x3 3RM. Very tired today and it felt much heavier than usual. Worked at 315x3 for my stamina.

130nCountin

Awards
Tomorrow's workout:
Warm Up: ROM Drills. Sprints 10 x 100M :)20 interval)
Work Capacity: For time:
50 x Wall Ball, 50 x Pull-up, 50 x Thruster (95#), Run 800M
50 x Power Clean (95#), 50 x Doulbe Unders, 50 x Push Press (95#), Run 400M
50 x Push-ups, 50 x Box Jumps, 50 x Burpees, Run 800M
Durability: Plank holds 3 x 2 minutes each. Stretch.

Should be interesting. Skip wall balls if you don't have a ball/medicine ball to throw. Sub 150 jumps with a jump rope for the double unders if you can't do them.
this is serious i must try

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
to be honest i have not been timing myself yet. i wanted to do 2-3 wks of sealfit to get my body used to it and then start tracking. hows your workout going.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
to be honest i have not been timing myself yet. i wanted to do 2-3 wks of sealfit to get my body used to it and then start tracking. hows your workout going.
Personally I would start timing things right away if these workouts are timing based. Even when you are "just getting used to the workouts". The reason is that beating your times will be very motivational as you go along. For example, recently I decided to see how many kettlebells snatches I could do in 5 minutes without putting it down. Even the very first week I timed and kept track of reps, even though I was just trying it out the first week. Having some sort of tangible target to beat each week helped me push hard even when I didn't necessarily feel like it. Even if your times are bad to start with, it will be very satisfying to see how much they improve. If you don't start recording times until you get decent at the workouts, the improvements seem much smaller by comparison.

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
i guess you do have a point. but im already half way in so i will start next week

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Start timing today, no need to wait until some arbitrary day like Monday. Every day matters, not just beginning of a week.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Today's workout:

Baseline: ROM Drills. 15 - 10 - 5 Pistol, HSPU
Work Capacity - 3 rounds for time:
Run 1 mile, Row 2,000M

Durability: 50 x GHD sit-ups. 50 x GHD Back Extensions. Active Stretch 10 minutes.

Did the work capacity in 48:22. Started to get mentally defeated on the rows and slowed down but kept up an 8min mile pace. Not bad for rarely running over a 400m pace.

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
could you explain this to me.....ROM Drills. 15 - 10 - 5 Pistol, HSPU? and how would you preform the rows