1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.3%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Do you ever try to fix people's form?

this guy was amazing. He started off at 60s, went to 80s then to 90s then finally 95s. Benched 395(less than half way down) and then finished off with hammer incline pressed 5 plates and then flexed his 14 inch arms in front of the mirror for awhile. He had sex lifting grunts too I REALLY wanted to correct his form but I honestly don't even know where to start

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  270 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.87%

lol general rule of thumb, you should never have to wear wraps to curl!

First it was funny then it pissed me off : I would have kicked him out of my gym
    NEW LG LOG CHECK IT OUT
    if only bc Big Ron is in my avatar
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/170780-lets-try-again.html
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.54%

Hahaha.. Getting jiggy with it. At least he's got some rhythm.

I think people like that are there to show off more than anything, as if anyone gives a crap.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.98%
    Achievements Posting Pro

he should try dropping down to the 35's or 40's and do them the correct way. all the body momentum and swinging does nothing and it shows with his "average joe" physique. great job at capturing that 2K1s! yea people really dont like to be told how they "should" do a movement. these are the same people that are like "i cant grow"! and they wonder why...
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.98%
    Achievements Posting Pro

by the way... i would be soo embarrassed if i was that guy and saw myself up here on AM and everyone was bashin me! maybe thats what he needs...a dose of get right!
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  226 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.29%

Wow. That guys fukcing awesome.........
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.87%

No i just let them do what ever they want... if they ask me I'll let'em know
    Bench - 355
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 600
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.3%
    Achievements Posting Pro

It should be noted that he had his name tattooed across his shoulder blades
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

start by putting in your headphones n ignoring him
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.52%

Don't correct this guy anyway...its a dead end. It's sad too, because he will hurt his back almost certainly.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    91.87%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I had someone correct my form on deads and the t-bar and I'm thankful they did.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.74%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I try every now and then but Im surrounded by people that do dumb stuff so I try to ignore them.
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.91%

Honestly, I dont correct peoples form. It all depends too but there are so many training variations/techniques that work for some and not for others.

Now, the guy in the video, it looked like he was actually trying to do a pinwheel curl. Granted he had alot of body swaying goin on..

Lastly, I will do 'cheat' exercises with, I wont say bad, but not as strict form to stunt new growth and its worked for me; he could've been aiming for a cheat pinwheel curl of some sort.

Oone more thing, if I see someone who looks fresh in the gym, just starting out and has terrible form, I will correct, but most of the time I dont talk to anyone.

God Bless fellaz..
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.3%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    I had someone correct my form on deads and the t-bar and I'm thankful they did.
    I always ask someone if I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Truthfully I wouldn't have posted this video if I wasn't laughing at him/he did one exercise correctly.
  15. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.08%

Most people I used to correct just say ok and continue with what they were doing.. So, i dont correct anyone.. I just stare at them, until they notice, point, laugh and say something witty to my lifting partner xD..
  16. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.37%

Next time you do bicep curls try to time it the same time he's there. That's how I learned. If your physique looks like you know what you're doing and he sees you with correct form curling 35's and getting a massive pump then maybe he'll go back to the drawing board and research the correct way to do the exercise. If he doesn't...screw him, he's on his own.
  17. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  275 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.38%

Generally no. If I like the person and they appear to not be a douchebag, I will help them out, and nearly universally they end up being grateful, however, there are a LOT of people at the gym who really ought not be giving advice, as good intentioned as they are, they really don't know much beyond their area of experience. I see this mostly with squat and bench form, where there are some different styles, but also outright dangerous ways to perform the exercise. Many other exercises if you just take control of the weight you'll be okay, not ideal maybe, but not killing yourself/joints/etc. The watermellon smugglers (invisible lat syndrome), etc... let them have their fun.
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.55%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

That's you isn't it? You wanted to see if we were 'mirin your curlz.

And what's with people always dressed to the 9s in the gym these days? My shirts are black (faded to a dark grey) w/ holes in em. My shorts are all roughed up from dumbbells rubbing. And my shoes are either beat up old Chucks or beat up old New Balances depending on if it's Leg Day.

/end rant.

I'll only share thoughts/tips with someone if they actually ask me. I think it's only been three times in about four years.
    "I am legally blind and if I can Squat,deadlift and over all get myself to the gym then anyone can get their a$$ in gear and get strong!!" - malleus25
    WHITE WHALE!
  19. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  183 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.53%

WHAT?! why is this video of me on here... wtf thanks jerk :|
  20. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.41%

Only if they're a client of mine.

I'm averaging 3 and 4 clients per week now, so while I'm in the gym I'm usually trying to convince them they don't need 200 isolations per day to grow.

When I finally do get to workout by myself, I have 3 and 4 skinny high school kids with their clothes three times too tight for them coming up to me and asking me how I train. Once I tell them their response is something like 'well I don't think I'd do good with your routine.' And that just pisses me off, since there's no magical routine. It's how hard you consistently train and how you eat.

If someone approaches me in the gym I'll usually hand them my personal training card and go on about my business.
    Former Marine, UT-BSN, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, CSCS
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.17%

As a personal trainer, correcting people's form is my job in alot of cases, but is also a great way for me to meet members, instill some of my knowledge, and also pick up clients .. that being said just watching the video we all know what kind of guy we're looking at there and i usually let those schmoes stick with their ****ty ass form and hurt themselves/learn the hard way - most wont listen if you do try to correct them, and I've had several act like theyre listening, take up my time for a detailed description/conversation, then go back to their "95 lb curls" or whatever retarded move theyre trying to pull once i walk away... ughh lol
  22. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.83%

Usually guys like that guy in the video don't last long at the gym. Either they get their form right or they get hurt or they give up lifting altogether.
  23. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.91%

I gotta throw this in there..Im in my 'usual' corner and 3 gents show up. They are attemping barbell bent over rows. So, 1 guy rolls in, good form. Next guy gets in, and after 1 rep the other 2 are like nope, do this; guy says 'doesnt feel right', well try this then, guy starts cursing...other guy still criticizing..2 guys not even doing the exercise arguing amongst each other..then proceed to keep criticizing the guy doing the exercise..

Was funny at first..I really felt like saying, KISS. Keep it Simple Stupid, its a phuckin ROW..ROW IT! Lose your buddies too, they should be in an accounting room crunching numbers, not overanalysing a barbell row. ROFL
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.71%

No, most peeps get an attitude and I just wanna eat their face like a fruit roll-up!!
    Think training's hard,. try losing!
  25. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.3%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Eating that guy wouldn't be worth the extra cals. Not enough protein

If I have my phone the next time I see this woman who grabs the handles of the cable cross machines and does a ball room dancing routine. Yesterday was just a weird day at the gym. Some guy was repping 275 on bb bench (which was legit) but between sets he was reading a world of warcraft novel. I've never seen that before.
  26. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.91%

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1s View Post

If I have my phone the next time I see this woman who grabs the handles of the cable cross machines and does a ball room dancing routine. Yesterday was just a weird day at the gym. Some guy was repping 275 on bb bench (which was legit) but between sets he was reading a world of warcraft novel. I've never seen that before.
    WTF!? lol, where you trainin at?
  27. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.08%

dude, keep vids coming lol.. im gonna start doing that too lmao..
  28. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.16%

I never "fix" anyones form. And its annoying when people try to do it to me. Loose form is actually a very effective way to build muscle and strength. Strict form works as well I think people should utilize both techniques.

I'll almost go as far as to say there is no wrong way to do an excersise. You can use a close grip, wide grip, lift slow, lift fast, static holds, half reps, reverse grip, strict form, loose form, basically whatever you want. You should never tell some1 they are doing an excersise "wrong". The only time you can do that is during a competition where there are set rules, and even then any competititon could have totally different rules from another.

If your simply lifting in a gym you can do anything you want. Its the people who have a problem with how others lift that bug me.
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.44%

ill give advice on form to people once and most times they dont listen. my wo partner has bad form and no matter what i say he reverts back to his old ways
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.74%

I saw some guys doing bent over row with the most rounded back ever. There is a way to do an exercise wrong trust me. People at the fitness center I go find a way to screw up lifts ALL the time.
  31. New Member
    Stats
    4'11"  122 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.17%

Only when Im benching and they are working in.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.16%

Quote Originally Posted by Tomahawk88 View Post
    I saw some guys doing bent over row with the most rounded back ever. There is a way to do an exercise wrong trust me. People at the fitness center I go find a way to screw up lifts ALL the time.
    If I were teaching some1 how to lift, a complete beginner, I would have them start with strict form. Only as a teaching tool, so they get an idea of how to do the lift. But eventually they will find their own groove so to speak, and they will do the lift in a way that is most comfortable to them.

To the OP why does this guys form bother you so much? If he benched 600lbs only going half way down would that impress you then? Or curling 200lbs dumbells with his form? Its like a guy picking a car up over his head and then youd be like well he used bad form lol.

Some guy somewhere said this once "Lift and let lift" was it in this thread????
  33. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.3%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I thought it was hilarious. Half cleaning/body jerking a 95 lbs db into a bicep curl is something I would never attempt to do. I'll bet money he hurts himself at some point using "loose" form.

Lifting a car is totally different. Its an awkward object to lift. Last time I checked there was a correct way to lift a dumb bell but there wasn't to lift a car...
  34. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'7"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.74%

Quote Originally Posted by Pleonastic View Post
    If I were teaching some1 how to lift, a complete beginner, I would have them start with strict form. Only as a teaching tool, so they get an idea of how to do the lift. But eventually they will find their own groove so to speak, and they will do the lift in a way that is most comfortable to them.

To the OP why does this guys form bother you so much? If he benched 600lbs only going half way down would that impress you then? Or curling 200lbs dumbells with his form? Its like a guy picking a car up over his head and then youd be like well he used bad form lol.

Some guy somewhere said this once "Lift and let lift" was it in this thread????
    Oh I didnt say anything to them. I just pointed at them and laughed. It was one of those days where Idc. Wasnt myself that day. If they wanted to be dumb and hurt themselves I would be there to laugh because then they would find their groove after having major back problems.

People should seriously be taught how to lift. It is sad sometimes seeing the form or lack there of.
  35. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.16%

I thought it was hilarious. Half cleaning/body jerking a 95 lbs db into a bicep curl is something I would never attempt to do. I'll bet money he hurts himself at some point using "loose" form.

Lifting a car is totally different. Its an awkward object to lift. Last time I checked there was a correct way to lift a dumb bell but there wasn't to lift a car...
    What is the correct way to lift a dumbell?
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  187 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.16%

Oh I didnt say anything to them. I just pointed at them and laughed. It was one of those days where Idc. Wasnt myself that day. If they wanted to be dumb and hurt themselves I would be there to laugh because then they would find their groove after having major back problems.

People should seriously be taught how to lift. It is sad sometimes seeing the form or lack there of.
    When people bench with their backs arched, it has become accepted by many as proper form. You still get the "flat back" guys who only think that is the way to go.

Ill say it again in the gym anything goes. People get hurt all the time doing "good" form and "bad".
  37. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.19%

I saw a guy doing lat pulldowns yesterday who was off the seat and rounding his back...

he got up and flexed...

I couldn't even laugh, I just stared.
  38. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.3%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pleonastic View Post
    What is the correct way to lift a dumbell?
    in a way most conducive to muscle growth? That guy barely looks like he lifts.
  39. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.47%
    Achievements Posting Pro

in a way most conducive to muscle growth? That guy barely looks like he lifts.
    Bingo. If he lifted with knowledge and intensity, he wouldn't look like that (physically anyway....he dresses like a tool so that could always change).
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.15%

Hey man, not to thread jack, but as Im in this thread and logged in, you had that vid asking if your squat was legit? Then you posted a deadlift one?

Like many mentioned, it looked dicey for a sec when you were trying to come up out of the squat, but you got it! It was deep too. Very impressive lifts man. Truly impressive. Cheers!

Sorry if this was answered elsewhere, but how old r you in the vids, and at what bodyweight?

Regarding this thread, no, I never correct their form. I remember reading once years ago one of the 'unwritten gym rules' was not to do that unless asked.

I have seen some BAD form over the years though, good God!!! People can have weird little phsychological things in the gym. Rituals and moves and what not that are just weird. A lot of guys really are in there to show of, try to look all alpha. Just rediculous IMO.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bad dip form?
    By Shane0Mac in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2010, 02:15 AM
  2. Better fit for my E-Form?
    By Bravoboy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-14-2008, 08:59 AM
  3. Sdrol+Form VS PPlex+Form which stack is better?
    By psychospic in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 11:24 PM