Do you ever try to fix people's form?

2k1s

2k1s

Awards
  • Established
this guy was amazing. He started off at 60s, went to 80s then to 90s then finally 95s. Benched 395(less than half way down) and then finished off with hammer incline pressed 5 plates and then flexed his 14 inch arms in front of the mirror for awhile. He had sex lifting grunts too :crazy: I REALLY wanted to correct his form but I honestly don't even know where to start

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
:jaw: lol general rule of thumb, you should never have to wear wraps to curl!

First it was funny :toofunny: then it pissed me off :frustrate: I would have kicked him out of my gym :buttkick:

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hahaha.. Getting jiggy with it. At least he's got some rhythm.

I think people like that are there to show off more than anything, as if anyone gives a crap.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
he should try dropping down to the 35's or 40's and do them the correct way. all the body momentum and swinging does nothing and it shows with his "average joe" physique. great job at capturing that 2K1s! yea people really dont like to be told how they "should" do a movement. these are the same people that are like "i cant grow"! and they wonder why...

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
by the way... i would be soo embarrassed if i was that guy and saw myself up here on AM and everyone was bashin me! maybe thats what he needs...a dose of get right!

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
No i just let them do what ever they want... if they ask me I'll let'em know

2k1s

2k1s

Awards
  • Established
It should be noted that he had his name tattooed across his shoulder blades

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
start by putting in your headphones n ignoring him

drvinnybombat

Awards
Don't correct this guy anyway...its a dead end. It's sad too, because he will hurt his back almost certainly.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I had someone correct my form on deads and the t-bar and I'm thankful they did.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I try every now and then but Im surrounded by people that do dumb stuff so I try to ignore them.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, I dont correct peoples form. It all depends too but there are so many training variations/techniques that work for some and not for others.

Now, the guy in the video, it looked like he was actually trying to do a pinwheel curl. Granted he had alot of body swaying goin on..

Lastly, I will do 'cheat' exercises with, I wont say bad, but not as strict form to stunt new growth and its worked for me; he could've been aiming for a cheat pinwheel curl of some sort.

Oone more thing, if I see someone who looks fresh in the gym, just starting out and has terrible form, I will correct, but most of the time I dont talk to anyone.

God Bless fellaz..

2k1s

2k1s

Awards
  • Established
I had someone correct my form on deads and the t-bar and I'm thankful they did.
:werd: I always ask someone if I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Truthfully I wouldn't have posted this video if I wasn't laughing at him/he did one exercise correctly.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Most people I used to correct just say ok and continue with what they were doing.. So, i dont correct anyone.. I just stare at them, until they notice, point, laugh and say something witty to my lifting partner xD..

elgenyo

elgenyo

Awards
  • Established
Next time you do bicep curls try to time it the same time he's there. That's how I learned. If your physique looks like you know what you're doing and he sees you with correct form curling 35's and getting a massive pump then maybe he'll go back to the drawing board and research the correct way to do the exercise. If he doesn't...screw him, he's on his own.

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
Generally no. If I like the person and they appear to not be a douchebag, I will help them out, and nearly universally they end up being grateful, however, there are a LOT of people at the gym who really ought not be giving advice, as good intentioned as they are, they really don't know much beyond their area of experience. I see this mostly with squat and bench form, where there are some different styles, but also outright dangerous ways to perform the exercise. Many other exercises if you just take control of the weight you'll be okay, not ideal maybe, but not killing yourself/joints/etc. The watermellon smugglers (invisible lat syndrome), etc... let them have their fun.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
That's you isn't it? You wanted to see if we were 'mirin your curlz.

:party:

And what's with people always dressed to the 9s in the gym these days? My shirts are black (faded to a dark grey) w/ holes in em. My shorts are all roughed up from dumbbells rubbing. And my shoes are either beat up old Chucks or beat up old New Balances depending on if it's Leg Day.

/end rant.

I'll only share thoughts/tips with someone if they actually ask me. I think it's only been three times in about four years.

Roguearthur

Roguearthur

Awards
WHAT?! why is this video of me on here... wtf thanks jerk :|

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Only if they're a client of mine.

I'm averaging 3 and 4 clients per week now, so while I'm in the gym I'm usually trying to convince them they don't need 200 isolations per day to grow.

When I finally do get to workout by myself, I have 3 and 4 skinny high school kids with their clothes three times too tight for them coming up to me and asking me how I train. Once I tell them their response is something like 'well I don't think I'd do good with your routine.' And that just pisses me off, since there's no magical routine. It's how hard you consistently train and how you eat.

If someone approaches me in the gym I'll usually hand them my personal training card and go on about my business.

ScottyMac710

ScottyMac710

Awards
As a personal trainer, correcting people's form is my job in alot of cases, but is also a great way for me to meet members, instill some of my knowledge, and also pick up clients .. that being said just watching the video we all know what kind of guy we're looking at there and i usually let those schmoes stick with their ****ty ass form and hurt themselves/learn the hard way - most wont listen if you do try to correct them, and I've had several act like theyre listening, take up my time for a detailed description/conversation, then go back to their "95 lb curls" or whatever retarded move theyre trying to pull once i walk away... ughh lol

BigSpoon

BigSpoon

Awards
Usually guys like that guy in the video don't last long at the gym. Either they get their form right or they get hurt or they give up lifting altogether.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
I gotta throw this in there..Im in my 'usual' corner and 3 gents show up. They are attemping barbell bent over rows. So, 1 guy rolls in, good form. Next guy gets in, and after 1 rep the other 2 are like nope, do this; guy says 'doesnt feel right', well try this then, guy starts cursing...other guy still criticizing..2 guys not even doing the exercise arguing amongst each other..then proceed to keep criticizing the guy doing the exercise..

Was funny at first..I really felt like saying, KISS. Keep it Simple Stupid, its a phuckin ROW..ROW IT! Lose your buddies too, they should be in an accounting room crunching numbers, not overanalysing a barbell row. ROFL

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
No, most peeps get an attitude and I just wanna eat their face like a fruit roll-up!!

2k1s

2k1s

Awards
  • Established
Eating that guy wouldn't be worth the extra cals. Not enough protein :crazy:

If I have my phone the next time I see this woman who grabs the handles of the cable cross machines and does a ball room dancing routine. Yesterday was just a weird day at the gym. Some guy was repping 275 on bb bench (which was legit) but between sets he was reading a world of warcraft novel. I've never seen that before.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established

If I have my phone the next time I see this woman who grabs the handles of the cable cross machines and does a ball room dancing routine. Yesterday was just a weird day at the gym. Some guy was repping 275 on bb bench (which was legit) but between sets he was reading a world of warcraft novel. I've never seen that before.
WTF!? lol, where you trainin at?

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established

dude, keep vids coming lol.. im gonna start doing that too lmao..

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I never "fix" anyones form. And its annoying when people try to do it to me. Loose form is actually a very effective way to build muscle and strength. Strict form works as well I think people should utilize both techniques.

I'll almost go as far as to say there is no wrong way to do an excersise. You can use a close grip, wide grip, lift slow, lift fast, static holds, half reps, reverse grip, strict form, loose form, basically whatever you want. You should never tell some1 they are doing an excersise "wrong". The only time you can do that is during a competition where there are set rules, and even then any competititon could have totally different rules from another.

If your simply lifting in a gym you can do anything you want. Its the people who have a problem with how others lift that bug me.

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
ill give advice on form to people once and most times they dont listen. my wo partner has bad form and no matter what i say he reverts back to his old ways

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I saw some guys doing bent over row with the most rounded back ever. There is a way to do an exercise wrong trust me. People at the fitness center I go find a way to screw up lifts ALL the time.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I saw some guys doing bent over row with the most rounded back ever. There is a way to do an exercise wrong trust me. People at the fitness center I go find a way to screw up lifts ALL the time.
If I were teaching some1 how to lift, a complete beginner, I would have them start with strict form. Only as a teaching tool, so they get an idea of how to do the lift. But eventually they will find their own groove so to speak, and they will do the lift in a way that is most comfortable to them.

To the OP why does this guys form bother you so much? If he benched 600lbs only going half way down would that impress you then? Or curling 200lbs dumbells with his form? Its like a guy picking a car up over his head and then youd be like well he used bad form lol.

Some guy somewhere said this once "Lift and let lift" was it in this thread????

2k1s

2k1s

Awards
  • Established
I thought it was hilarious. Half cleaning/body jerking a 95 lbs db into a bicep curl is something I would never attempt to do. I'll bet money he hurts himself at some point using "loose" form.

Lifting a car is totally different. Its an awkward object to lift. Last time I checked there was a correct way to lift a dumb bell but there wasn't to lift a car...

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I were teaching some1 how to lift, a complete beginner, I would have them start with strict form. Only as a teaching tool, so they get an idea of how to do the lift. But eventually they will find their own groove so to speak, and they will do the lift in a way that is most comfortable to them.

To the OP why does this guys form bother you so much? If he benched 600lbs only going half way down would that impress you then? Or curling 200lbs dumbells with his form? Its like a guy picking a car up over his head and then youd be like well he used bad form lol.

Some guy somewhere said this once "Lift and let lift" was it in this thread????
Oh I didnt say anything to them. I just pointed at them and laughed. It was one of those days where Idc. Wasnt myself that day. If they wanted to be dumb and hurt themselves I would be there to laugh because then they would find their groove after having major back problems.

People should seriously be taught how to lift. It is sad sometimes seeing the form or lack there of.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I thought it was hilarious. Half cleaning/body jerking a 95 lbs db into a bicep curl is something I would never attempt to do. I'll bet money he hurts himself at some point using "loose" form.

Lifting a car is totally different. Its an awkward object to lift. Last time I checked there was a correct way to lift a dumb bell but there wasn't to lift a car...
What is the correct way to lift a dumbell?

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh I didnt say anything to them. I just pointed at them and laughed. It was one of those days where Idc. Wasnt myself that day. If they wanted to be dumb and hurt themselves I would be there to laugh because then they would find their groove after having major back problems.

People should seriously be taught how to lift. It is sad sometimes seeing the form or lack there of.
When people bench with their backs arched, it has become accepted by many as proper form. You still get the "flat back" guys who only think that is the way to go.

Ill say it again in the gym anything goes. People get hurt all the time doing "good" form and "bad".

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I saw a guy doing lat pulldowns yesterday who was off the seat and rounding his back...

he got up and flexed...

I couldn't even laugh, I just stared.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
in a way most conducive to muscle growth? That guy barely looks like he lifts.
Bingo. If he lifted with knowledge and intensity, he wouldn't look like that (physically anyway....he dresses like a tool so that could always change).

imjuschillin

Awards
Hey man, not to thread jack, but as Im in this thread and logged in, you had that vid asking if your squat was legit? Then you posted a deadlift one?

Like many mentioned, it looked dicey for a sec when you were trying to come up out of the squat, but you got it! It was deep too. Very impressive lifts man. Truly impressive. Cheers!

Sorry if this was answered elsewhere, but how old r you in the vids, and at what bodyweight?

Regarding this thread, no, I never correct their form. I remember reading once years ago one of the 'unwritten gym rules' was not to do that unless asked.

I have seen some BAD form over the years though, good God!!! People can have weird little phsychological things in the gym. Rituals and moves and what not that are just weird. A lot of guys really are in there to show of, try to look all alpha. Just rediculous IMO.

2k1s

2k1s

Awards
  • Established
Your argument would make more sense if he did. The point of a curl is to grow your biceps, correct? His hasn't grown. If you find someone that is huge and does curls like that I'll back down.

jiberish

jiberish

Awards
OOohhh ahhh oooh yeaaah. Funny stuff

I always see people using terrible form. But people get so angry like you offended them if you give any kind of advice. But in the past 2-3 times I have had guys point out slight mistakes with my technique and I was very thankful.

Ms9

Awards
The other day a scrawny kid interrupted my squat workout and asked if I could spot him on "french press" and I thought french press probably some exercise for scrawny cowards like this kid. He proceeded to do curls and then went into the "french press" also know as skull crushers. However he said watch how deep I get and then proceeded to combine a pullover with a skull crush. Of course he was using way too much weight for himself. After I "spoted him" for 3 reps he screamed thats it. I then explained to him that he was doing two different exercises both incorrectly at the same time with too much weight. He got mad.