Bent Over DB Rows friendly competition / bragging rights thread.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Alright guys here it is we took the poll and DB Rows one by 1 vote man it was close. To keep a few things easy lets go with this. If your and want your numbers tracked Let me know you are in and supply your numbers, your body weight, weight used and how many reps you were able to get with the weight. I will add your name and info into the second post, and track each entry you put in here. At the end we will all be able to see who is the strongest, who is the most improved, things of that nature. Anyone who can video some it go for it, it will make the thread that much more fun and interesting.

I think we need to keep the reps in the 6-8 range so strength can be a major focus but we don't have people hurting themselves out of ego with ridiculous weights. Keep form good on all reps, your elbow should break the plane of your back to count as a solid rep. Keep upper body movement to a minimum. I will be in on this as well but not starting my heavier weights until about 3 weeks from now.

This will be over on November 1st at which time we will move on to another group selected exercise probably of the push variety or something with legs.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Who's in? How much are they lifting?

Less than 200lbs

Oufinny - 189 95x8,

Drivehard 190lbs - 140x10

Votum 178lbs- 100x8, 110x8

MM11 185 - 120x8

Killerkanadia 174 85x12, 90x11

boricuarage 171 - 80x10

200-225lbs

Kleen 200 lbs - 140x6 both arms

GMG760 202 lbs - 110 for 16 last week, 130x8, 150x3

Rodja 200 - 150x12, 150x14

TheDarkHalf 205 - 120x10

Volcomx311 215 - No entry yet

Jesseb1128 215 - 140x8

JudgementDay- 150x6

Wilderbeast 219 - 155x22 arm on knee, 180x18 Tbar- 200x14 DB

225+ lbs

EdWitt 226- 205x8 tbar

Resolve 256 lbs - 125 for 20 last week, 215x5 tbar

Southern Charm 261 - No entry yet

Army Guy 230 - 140x5

NCAA68 270 - 120x20

Matty01977 300 - 105x20

mxmatt15 999lbs - 100x8

ThunderGod 255- 160x12, 180x11

Tomohawk 235, 150x10 fat grips DB

JohnnyNutz 250 - 100x9, 120x8

UGHQTempus 285 lbs - 150x10 fat grips db

Punthra 240 lbs - 160x10

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Hitting the gym tonight, lets get the party started!

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
Dam gym only goes to 110 on dbs might try duct taping 2 together

EDIT found someone beat me to it

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
For the sake of fairness a one handed bent over T bar row with elbow supported on knee to limit body english can be used, or even the one handed smith machine row VolcomX311 mentioned doing also with elbow suported on knee to minimize movement. Not quite the same but lets be honest here we are competing with ourselves first, and everyone else second. IF however you have a DB you can load up then be true to the competition and use the DB.

NCAA68

NCAA68

Awards
  • Established
For the sake of fairness a one handed bent over T bar row with elbow supported on knee to limit body english can be used, or even the one handed smith machine row VolcomX311 mentioned doing also with elbow suported on knee to minimize movement. Not quite the same but lets be honest here we are competing with ourselves first, and everyone else second. IF however you have a DB you can load up then be true to the competition and use the DB.
I can do that :veryhappy:

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Ill throw my one handed T bars up next back session

bit off my game right now think im getting sick.. Couple of sub par WO's and im stiff all over BUMMER... Guess ive gone all year bug free so no complaints and plenty of time to get a decent number up

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
I'm in for this!

202 lbs - 110 for 16 last week... I gotta go to a different gym if I want to play with the 120's... but I am down for that for the contest.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
In- starting next back workout. Im hittin these first, so I'll be goin for 120s for max reps. lol... should be fun

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Man they just shut down youtube access from here. I can't see any of the videos in the logs now...

oufinny

oufinny

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In for this: currently sitting at ~189. I haven't done this in a while so I have nothing to go off of though I know I did this with 85s a long while back (weaksauce I know, but I was back in the day). This will be in my next workout in place of my t-bar rows. Are we caring if straps are involved? I know my grip will fail much past 100... crappy forearms!

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Better not matter cuz Im using versagripps..

Got a problem with that Kleen? I didn't think so

don't hurt me bro... lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Strap up, well everyone but Southern Charm he has to use Fat Gripz and no gloves to pay for his dissension.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I hit 150x12 weighing about 200.
Was this recent? Is it yor beginning entry or just a mention. Either way it is BEAST MODE!!!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Was this recent? Is it yor beginning entry or just a mention. Either way it is BEAST MODE!!!!
Very recent and I've done it more than once. I'll try to hit more reps soon as the 150s are were my gym maxes out.

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
219 - my gym only has up to 155s - i beast them for all my working sets 10+. You can check my log in the workout section tomorrow for my reps with them in my back workout tonight! I'm just gonna do them where they fall in my workout, not first in order to be stronger or anything.

BEAST

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
Oh what?! We can use straps? That's straight up cheating, but ok...

I gotta go to first class fitness now because my other 24 hour doesn't go past 120's and that is pretty easy for me with wraps.

My original numbers were raw.

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
ready for this one my brothers!!!! I haven't done these in a while with real weight, like many on here, because the gym. However, I will say that I got 110 for 20 and stopped more for getting a light head than for muscle fatigue. So I gratefully cast my hat into the arena. I think I got lucky placing in the last comp, this time I have my work cut out for me... just waiting for TG, Punthra, GH, and many other beasts to get in on this one...
these 20 were with straps

boricuarage

boricuarage

Banned
Awards
  • Established
80 pounds 10 reps current weight 171 pounds...

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
I wonder if TG ever got his hands on that bigger set of dumbbells we had been talking about back in the day... I'd love to see some 170-200s come into play in this bad boy. I think I got 150 for 10 in me by the end of this.

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
I think he did get those, and I am with you on the 150's!!!! Do you guys do them on a flat bench, or incline???

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established
I think he did get those, and I am with you on the 150's!!!! Do you guys do them on a flat bench, or incline???
Flat, the incline lets me use way too much body english.

GMG760

GMG760

Awards
  • Established

Holy cow. Did he just duct tape 2 25lber's on the end of a 110? Or was that 2 110's taped side by side? Either way, it should be a duct tape commercial/testimonial. Stuff worked pretty well.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I am in on this....will be hitting upper body friday and will let you know how my DB rows turn out.

MATTYO1977

Awards
  • Established
A while back my gym had 180's that were used to do some mean one arms at the end of the back work day. Strapped I could grind out on average between 12-18 for 3 sets.
Since I have gone strap-less, and the gym has moved down to 110's because idiots were using those big bells do to all sorts of stupid things, I am pulling 3 sets of 10-15 reps at the end of the work. The grip loss is tough but I feel like it is a stronger movement for me since the weight is lighter and strapped I probably could easily hit 20 plus in reps and thats too much.
I currently weigh around 300lbs and have always been decent in the pulling movements.

My question is, where is Thunder? I want to hear some God like numbers!

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Tonight I hit 155s for 22 reps per arm @ 219 lbs. I did them unsupported. i.e. opposite forearm on opposite knee, not resting arm hand on a bench or rack. F'in gym only having up to 155s :(
Did this after my pullups, pulldowns, and t-bar rows all done in rest pause sets to failure. :)

BEAST

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Tonight I hit 155s for 22 reps per arm @ 219 lbs. I did them unsupported. i.e. opposite hand on opposite leg, not resting arm hand on a bench or rack. F'in gym only having up to 155s :(
Did this after my pullups, pulldowns, and t-bar rows all done in rest pause sets to failure. :)

BEAST
Impressive stuff

MATTYO1977

Awards
  • Established
Tonight I hit 155s for 22 reps per arm @ 219 lbs. I did them unsupported. i.e. opposite hand on opposite leg, not resting arm hand on a bench or rack. F'in gym only having up to 155s :(

BEAST
That is BEAST!

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Love this idea. I'm in but don't have a beginning entry. I'll do it this weekend. Be warned my gym only goes up to 120s and I weight about 185... I know your all worried about my entry ha.

Anyways again love friendly competition. The winner should have the title in his sig!

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Haha, you guys are making me feel like a little girl!!

First attempt: 85x12 @ 174lbs

I may not beast it like some of you guys, but i WILL improve! haha

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I wonder if TG ever got his hands on that bigger set of dumbbells we had been talking about back in the day... I'd love to see some 170-200s come into play in this bad boy. I think I got 150 for 10 in me by the end of this.
Yeah I got 'em. I cut a long standard barbell in half and made 2 VERY long DB bars. They will hold over 250lbs. using some of my 25lb. standard plates. Maybe more......

Weighing in at 255.

2 weeks ago I hit 160X12 on 1 arm DB rows.:twisted:

Not a max effort either. Was after Pulldowns and Seated Cable Rows.

It's all up from here. :yup:

My short term personal goal will be 200 X 8 reps. Peice O' Cake!!!

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tonight I hit 155s for 22 reps per arm @ 219 lbs.
:clap2:
That's borderline amazing dude. I've got a lot of catching up to do......:ntome:

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

Where there's a will.....there's a way.
I do some pretty inventive stuff with the weights.

thundergod

thundergod

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A while back my gym had 180's that were used to do some mean one arms at the end of the back work day. Strapped I could grind out on average between 12-18 for 3 sets.
Since I have gone strap-less, and the gym has moved down to 110's because idiots were using those big bells do to all sorts of stupid things, I am pulling 3 sets of 10-15 reps at the end of the work. The grip loss is tough but I feel like it is a stronger movement for me since the weight is lighter and strapped I probably could easily hit 20 plus in reps and thats too much.
I currently weight around 300lbs and have always been decent in the pulling movements.

Here I is!! But my current numbers pale in comparison to yours bro. Though I never have treated this lift with all-out intensity to total muscle failure. I've always considered it a support lift for my Barbell Bentover Rows. I can move some real weight on those.
I will be pushing the DB's upwards now though. :veryhappy:

Army Guy

Army Guy

Awards
  • Established
Here I is!! But my current numbers pale in comparison to yours bro. Though I never have treated this lift with all-out intensity to total muscle failure. I've always considered it a support lift for my Barbell Bentover Rows. I can move some real weight on those.
I will be pushing the DB's upwards now though. :veryhappy:
THIS!!!! I am the same TG!!!! Will be interesting to see what all of us can do on these...!!!! :ponder: :32:

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
:clap2:
That's borderline amazing dude. I've got a lot of catching up to do......:ntome:
Thanks. My pulling strength is going up drastically since I started doing DC style back training.

BEAST

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I expect a little more from someone who is 999 pounds.
lol, time for a cut.

My gym only has Db's up to 125lbs. Maybe if I took the short, straight curling bar and added 25's to each end I could use that, but stabilizing it would be a bitch.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Very recent and I've done it more than once. I'll try to hit more reps soon as the 150s are were my gym maxes out.
Nice entry!
219 - my gym only has up to 155s - i beast them for all my working sets 10+. You can check my log in the workout section tomorrow for my reps with them in my back workout tonight! I'm just gonna do them where they fall in my workout, not first in order to be stronger or anything.

BEAST
Nice!
Oh what?! We can use straps? That's straight up cheating, but ok...

I gotta go to first class fitness now because my other 24 hour doesn't go past 120's and that is pretty easy for me with wraps.

My original numbers were raw.
Aw it is only cheating if grip is your main focus. If the working of the back is the focus it is ideal allowing you to stimulate more growth in the targeted muscle. However when we do deads we will have wrapped and unwrapped competitors. We can do both here but for me grip is a limiting factor due to tendinitis so I need the wraps in order not to further screw up my elbows. I have to use them now for all my back work. :( Thank God I am genetically gifted in the forearm development area.

ready for this one my brothers!!!! I haven't done these in a while with real weight, like many on here, because the gym. However, I will say that I got 110 for 20 and stopped more for getting a light head than for muscle fatigue. So I gratefully cast my hat into the arena. I think I got lucky placing in the last comp, this time I have my work cut out for me... just waiting for TG, Punthra, GH, and many other beasts to get in on this one...
these 20 were with straps
Get it Army!
80 pounds 10 reps current weight 171 pounds...
Nice entry!

Flat, the incline lets me use way too much body english.
I would love to see vids of the different people doing these. Some of us are overly strict on our form and others are looser and more explosive. I would love to see the difference in performance from these individuals and what would happen if both swapped styles. IE the more deliberate lifter go with more explosive and the more explosive guy going more deliberate.

I currently weight around 300lbs and have always been decent in the pulling movements.

Man that is a lot of weight you are moving around.

Tonight I hit 155s for 22 reps per arm @ 219 lbs. I did them unsupported. i.e. opposite forearm on opposite knee, not resting arm hand on a bench or rack. F'in gym only having up to 155s :(

BEAST
Friggen Beast!

Haha, you guys are making me feel like a little girl!!

First attempt: 85x12 @ 174lbs

I may not beast it like some of you guys, but i WILL improve! haha
That is what it is all about...
Yeah I got 'em. I cut a long standard barbell in half and made 2 VERY long DB bars. They will hold over 250lbs. using some of my 25lb. standard plates. Maybe more......

Weighing in at 255.

2 weeks ago I hit 160X12 on 1 arm DB rows.:twisted:

Not a max effort either. Was after Pulldowns and Seated Cable Rows.

It's all up from here. :yup:

My short term personal goal will be 200 X 8 reps. Peice O' Cake!!!
I fully expect to see this too.
lol, time for a cut.

My gym only has Db's up to 125lbs. Maybe if I took the short, straight curling bar and added 25's to each end I could use that, but stabilizing it would be a bitch.
Nope you are gonna participate your name is now in the who's lifting... better find a strap, maybe we should have done a single arm cable row, everybody has up to 200 lbs at their disposal with that lift. Either way you can use that if nothing else.