HELP!!!! CALLUSES!!! AHHHHH!!!!

aSKINNYkid

aSKINNYkid

Awards
Ok I can't seem to keep calluses on my hand? This is really making trap exercises like shrugs pretty much unbarable... what can I do? Ill build some up and they just peel right off after some heavy lifting for a couple of days. Gloves don't help me either... then again I use mechanic gloves... so idk. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I don't want to have a neck! =P

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I got mine from riding bikes as a kid. Popping wheely's all day will rip your hands apart. Maybe you just need to play around with more weight. Callouses aren't really that hard to get, unless you have some extraordinarily resilient skin, in which case, congradulations.

TheDeadlifter

TheDeadlifter

Awards
  • Established
:werd:
Go with chalk, not gloves. It'll be the best thing you ever do. Straps are OK if you're going super heavy. However, stick with chalk until you just physically cannot hold that bar any longer. Not only with it help you establish some calluses, but it'll also greatly improve your grip strength.

Boatcop1

Awards
  • Established
:werd:
Go with chalk, not gloves. It'll be the best thing you ever do. Straps are OK if you're going super heavy. However, stick with chalk until you just physically cannot hold that bar any longer. Not only with it help you establish some calluses, but it'll also greatly improve your grip strength.
Brother you read my mind. Chalk is the best glove imo!

I get calouses pretty bad and occasionaly they split and bleed. Just grab some chalk throw it in a heavy duty zip lock bag and apply as needed. You dont have to be a crazy powerlifter to reap the rewards of chalk. If they split on you at the gym, pick up some chalk with your other index finger and thumb and pack it into the split and then continue to destroy-repeat! I'm not a fan of gloves, never have been. You can and will eventually work your hands/grip into something that no glove can touch.

good luck

ambulldog

ambulldog

Awards
  • Established
i believe the maker is lynx. they sell these rubber type pads that just rest in your palms. i use them all the time and really like them. gloves to me are, well, gay just sayin

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Some commercial gyms don't allow chaulk. Can you believe that? Just lift heavy and man up and you will get them.

jcr1

Banned
Awards
Do you know why u have calluses!? Your body developed them on your hands cuz u need them! Its your bodys natural way of protecting your hands! Ive got some nice calluses built up from working out hard! AND one time i cut them off OMG the whole week of working out hurt like helllll!!!!!! IMO just keep them there not that bad you cant see them really and girls think there manly! lol

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I shaved mine for a little while. Now they don't really bother me anymore. You can buy callus shavers for a couple of dollars. I got one at wally world. It has a razor blade in it, and you just run it over the top of the callus. Shaves the top right off. You do have to be careful, because you can cut yourself, but they are effective.

TeXaStRoNg

Banned
Awards
Ok I can't seem to keep calluses on my hand? This is really making trap exercises like shrugs pretty much unbarable... what can I do? Ill build some up and they just peel right off after some heavy lifting for a couple of days. Gloves don't help me either... then again I use mechanic gloves... so idk. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I don't want to have a neck! =P
Versa Gripps!!!! I use them for all my pulling lifts and allows me to go super heavy try them

SemiBulimic

SemiBulimic

Awards
  • Established
calluses on your hands are like nature's own hard earned ribbed condoms, only they're for your OWN pleasure! extra friction and all that

:twisted:

don't judge me

CJPopovich

Awards
  • Established
Trim them from time to time and they'll be much less likely to peel.

Trento

Awards
Heh, I use toenail clippers to take em off, but I've never been accused of being overly bright.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
I love calluses. My hands are extremely rough and manly and my fiancee' loves it. My girlfriend before her used to brag about them all the time too. Growing up I didn't do a lot of work around the house. I just cut weeds, helped my dad build stuff, remodeled rooms, and maybe did some decorations every so often, but nothing serious. When I got into the Marine Corps I got some calluses and it got even worse when I started deadlifting heavy.

I wouldn't trade my calluses for anything. There's nothing I don't like more than shaking a mans hand and it feeling like some high school cheerleaders. Calluses are something you should be proud of, you worked hard for them, so keep them IMO.

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love calluses. My hands are extremely rough and manly and my fiancee' loves it. My girlfriend before her used to brag about them all the time too. Growing up I didn't do a lot of work around the house. I just cut weeds, helped my dad build stuff, remodeled rooms, and maybe did some decorations every so often, but nothing serious. When I got into the Marine Corps I got some calluses and it got even worse when I started deadlifting heavy.

I wouldn't trade my calluses for anything. There's nothing I don't like more than shaking a mans hand and it feeling like some high school cheerleaders. Calluses are something you should be proud of, you worked hard for them, so keep them IMO.
Word bro I like to use sandpaper, you know, the extra fine grain just to teach my hands who is boss. I can't even close them now that the calluses have come in so thick.

:hmmm:

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I used pumice to grind down my callusses in the past. That prevented them from peeling off too much. Now, that isn't a problem any more, so I don't worry about. So, take care of those callusses and eventually they'll be there for good.