I'm squating 10lbs more than I can deadlift - AnabolicMinds.com

I'm squating 10lbs more than I can deadlift

  1. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    21268

    I'm squating 10lbs more than I can deadlift


    Is this normal?

  2. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Ya, I squat more than I DL..

  3. Elite Member
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,600
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    13731

    define normal

    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    21268

    Oh okay guys, I was just wondering, because all bodybuilder records I've looked at they always deadlift more than they squat.

  5. Advanced Member
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    329

    Unless you have a build with very short legs and a long torso, there's a good chance you are squatting high. I think even bodybuilders should squat at least to parallel.

  6. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    21268

    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    Unless you have a build with very short legs and a long torso, there's a good chance you are squatting high. I think even bodybuilders should squat at least to parallel.
    in the mirror I looked to be just about parallel.

  7. Professional Member
    tnubs's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    3,248
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    23616

    i used to deadlift 200lbs more than i squat 550/350

    led to some crazy imbalances and i think its what messed my knees up
    CELTIC LABS REP

  8. Advanced Member
    Dizmal's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  232 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Age
    36
    Posts
    548
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    367

    You should generally always be able to DL more than you squat. Chances are you're cheating in squats. Take a video of your side to be sure. Just looking in the mirror while squating won't give you the true story and turning your neck to the side and checking your form while doing heavy working sets is setting yourself up for injury.

    Not saying, just saying.

  9. Senior Member
    nemo's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,649
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    1234

    Yeah, most peeps dl more than they can squat!
    Think training's hard,. try losing!

  10. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    21268

    Quote Originally Posted by Dizmal View Post
    You should generally always be able to DL more than you squat. Chances are you're cheating in squats. Take a video of your side to be sure. Just looking in the mirror while squating won't give you the true story and turning your neck to the side and checking your form while doing heavy working sets is setting yourself up for injury.

    Not saying, just saying.
    Oh okay I just checked my workout logs. Turns out I was squatting 10 lbs less than I was deadlifting, so I got the numbers mixed up. I just got all my reps in on the squat so that means I'll be squatting the same amount I'm deadlifting, but I might be deadlifting more soon if I can get all my reps in, in 3 days. There is only a 10lb difference between the two exercises though.

  11. Advanced Member
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    329

    Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    Oh okay I just checked my workout logs. Turns out I was squatting 10 lbs less than I was deadlifting, so I got the numbers mixed up. I just got all my reps in on the squat so that means I'll be squatting the same amount I'm deadlifting, but I might be deadlifting more soon if I can get all my reps in, in 3 days. There is only a 10lb difference between the two exercises though.
    That's still somewhat usual for a young lifter with a "normal" build. I would also suggest some video from the side just to make sure the depth is good. It's easier to correct early in your training career than having to overcome bad habits you've had for years.

  12. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    21268

    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    That's still somewhat usual for a young lifter with a "normal" build. I would also suggest some video from the side just to make sure the depth is good. It's easier to correct early in your training career than having to overcome bad habits you've had for years.
    Well it's like this right now. bench press 140, squat 150 up the weight to 160 next week if form is proper, deadlift 160, front squat 90.

  13. Advanced Member
    wedlund6's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Age
    43
    Posts
    583
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    351

    i dead more then i squat then again my reps for squats are 12 to15 and even 20 sometime but for deads reps are mostly down around 6 to 8 maybe 10 from what i have heard most run higher reps on squats so it should be less weight

  14. New Member
    bkoguy07's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    441
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    314

    365 dl for sets 315 for squat sets
    Bench - 355
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 600

  15. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    I squat more than I DL.. Does that make me a freak?

  16. New Member
    bkoguy07's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    441
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    314

    Not really you could just be weak
    Bench - 355
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 600

  17. Professional Member
    SouthernCharm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,253
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    3297

    I think that NORMAL is a funny word when using it to compare yourself to other weight lifters. Everybody has their strong and weak points, and also you may be lagging in a certain area. I think it's setting yourself up for failure to compare your status or anything for that matter to that of someone else. The mirror will tell you if there is something that is lagging or needs focusing on. I had a lower back injury 2 years ago that took me out of the gym for a long time, and it's been HELL trying to get it to where it was. I can squat 365 and I'm no where near that on deadlifts. A lot of factors play into what you can call "normal"

    Sorry for the rant it's just my opinion
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

    All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

    Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:

  18. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by bkoguy07 View Post
    Not really you could just be weak
    Wow. Thanks for the compliment as-shole...

    Im actually pretty strong for my weight and years that I have been lifting..

    Why dont you check out my logs before you assume anything..

    You know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me..

  19. New Member
    bkoguy07's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    441
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    314

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    Wow. Thanks for the compliment as-shole...

    Im actually pretty strong for my weight and years that I have been lifting..

    Why dont you check out my logs before you assume anything..

    You know what assuming does? It makes an ass out of you and me..


    Woah homie, you were asking a question I was simply stating an answer. Reason why I said that is because before I started deadlifting I could already squat 405, but maxing 275 on DL. SO my back was WEAK. thats All i was getting at. So chill out a little don't ask questions if you're looking for answers you don't like. I'd consider you far from "freak" status.
    Bench - 355
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 600

  20. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by bkoguy07 View Post
    Woah homie, you were asking a question I was simply stating an answer. Reason why I said that is because before I started deadlifting I could already squat 405, but maxing 275 on DL. SO my back was WEAK. thats All i was getting at. So chill out a little don't ask questions if you're looking for answers you don't like. I'd consider you far from "freak" status.
    So I ask a question to get assumed that I am weak? You coulda said I have a lagging lower back, would've sounded better than "your probably weak"..

  21. Professional Member
    SouthernCharm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,253
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    3297

    LOL say y'all how bout we all just spark one up and chill bros. This is why I used the term LAGGING. LOL my back is WEAK AZ FUCC CUZZ (lagging lol) since my injury, my DL pr is 405 and now i am lucky to hit 285 but im making progress just about every week. Form gets better, lifts are more solid, etc, etc.
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

    All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

    Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:

  22. New Member
    bkoguy07's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    25
    Posts
    441
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    314

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer2be08 View Post
    So I ask a question to get assumed that I am weak? You coulda said I have a lagging lower back, would've sounded better than "your probably weak"..
    I said not really you could be weak indicating I was unaware of your training. And how am i supposed to know if you have a lagging lower back if i didn't know your squat weights i was just simply saying a possible solution to a question you had. sorry if it hurt your feelings
    Bench - 355
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 600

  23. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by bkoguy07 View Post
    I said not really you could be weak indicating I was unaware of your training. And how am i supposed to know if you have a lagging lower back if i didn't know your squat weights i was just simply saying a possible solution to a question you had. sorry if it hurt your feelings
    You made me cry ...

  24. New Member
    Sweekaters's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    213
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    169

    I'm surprised no one has suggested changing up your form. I consistently squatted more than I pulled until I switched from conventional deadlifts to sumo deadlifts. If you're a tall guy especially, give it a try and see what works.

  25. Senior Member
    MM11's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,818
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    17827

    I squat more than I dead lift. I also work on squats much more. They are my favorite. So it makes sense.

  26. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by MM11 View Post
    I squat more than I dead lift. I also work on squats much more. They are my favorite. So it makes sense.
    This ^^^ is what I do.. I love squats

  27. Senior Member
    MM11's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,818
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    17827

    I squat more than I dead lift. I also work on squats much more. They are my favorite. So it makes sense.

  28. Elite Member
    Kristofer68SS's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,600
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    13731

    true atg with no bounce-actually stopping in the hole, there is no way i can do what i deadlift.

    "normal squats", i can squat more.

  29. Senior Member
    MM11's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,818
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    17827

    Quote Originally Posted by Kristofer68SS View Post
    true atg with no bounce-actually stopping in the hole, there is no way i can do what i deadlift.

    "normal squats", i can squat more.
    I agree I would not be able to atg squat more than I deadlift either.

  30. Professional Member
    SouthernCharm's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,253
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    3297

    if i went any lower on my squats id be sitting. atg or get out
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

    All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

    Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:

  31. Advanced Member
    SRS2000's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    515
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    329

    I think people are missing the main point here. Of course if you have a significant injury history or if you train your SQ and not your DL you may SQ more than you DL. I guess I should qualify my statement more. I've seen many young trainees over the years and here's what I've observed. If someone is a relative beginner, not obese, has no significant injury history, has been training both lifts, and knows how to perform the lifts at all and they SQ more than they DL, 95+% of time they are squatting above parallel. Thus I start with SQ depth when this comes up.
    There are people who do truly SQ more than they DL without any mitigating circumstances, but they are the exception not the rule. Besides, what would it hurt if the OP made sure his depth is good? If it's fine, then he should just press on and keep training and not worry about it.

  32. Banned
    gamer2be08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,988
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Quote Originally Posted by MM11 View Post
    I agree I would not be able to atg squat more than I deadlift either.
    I ATG squat more than I DL..

  33. Senior Member
    DerickVonD's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    2,322
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    21268

    Quote Originally Posted by SRS2000 View Post
    I think people are missing the main point here. Of course if you have a significant injury history or if you train your SQ and not your DL you may SQ more than you DL. I guess I should qualify my statement more. I've seen many young trainees over the years and here's what I've observed. If someone is a relative beginner, not obese, has no significant injury history, has been training both lifts, and knows how to perform the lifts at all and they SQ more than they DL, 95+% of time they are squatting above parallel. Thus I start with SQ depth when this comes up.
    There are people who do truly SQ more than they DL without any mitigating circumstances, but they are the exception not the rule. Besides, what would it hurt if the OP made sure his depth is good? If it's fine, then he should just press on and keep training and not worry about it.
    Well like I said I am foundout I am deading slightly more weight. My bench press, squat and deadlift are all around 10lbs apart.

  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Squating please help me reach max!!
    By maddog28 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 10:54 PM
  2. elbow pain while squating
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-30-2010, 08:00 PM
  3. Need to Lose 10lbs by 06/29/09
    By cheloz28 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-14-2009, 06:41 PM
  4. Squating form
    By virileman44 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-24-2008, 01:32 PM
  5. On 100% Whey (10lbs)
    By PumpingIron in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 11:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in