Arm routine

  1. flw
    New Member
    flw's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    212
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    66.65%

    Arm routine


    I've been out of the gym for a couple months, summers is super busy with my work. it's been nice to give my body a rest but I'm ready to get back in the gym! I'm hoping to get some input on a good arm routine to put on some size. Arms are pretty strong for their size 15.5 cold but flexed, I curl 65's for my lower rep sets. Current weight is 210, 5'11" tall, bf around 15%. I've not been able to add much size over the last year or so, I'm hoping the rest will change that, I know my arms get overworked between work, yard work, gym etc. I'm not taking any supplements at the moment, I have creatine monohydrate (ithink it's a creapure variety). I also have some muscle milk, some other cytosport protein, Costco multi vitamins, vitamin c with rose hips, trader joes joint support, I think that's it.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

  2. flw
    New Member
    flw's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    212
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    66.65%

    Bump
  3. Advanced Member
    Type O Hero's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  182 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    886
    Rep Power
    73454
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    89.5%

    I think the trick is to do heavy compound lifts for your major muscle groups with a minimum amount of direct arm work. For instance, after you've done a heavy chest or shoulders workout, do a set or two of heavy dips. After a heavy back workout, do a set or two of biceps. For a while I've been doing dips for triceps and chins (palms facing you) for biceps. Every once in a while I'll do something like extensions for triceps or incline DB curls for biceps to switch it up. Or maybe if I'm doing two sets for biceps after a back workout I may do one set of chins and one set of incline DB curls, or whatever. For triceps, do heavy presses, for biceps do rows (try underhand rows every other workout; these work great for biceps). Deadlifts also help make stronger biceps.

    I get more by doing less. I could do an hour long arm workout if I wanted to, get a crazy pump, but not really go anywhere with it other than getting a great pump that day. Less is more but do it with high intesnity and heavy weight. It's all about total volume.
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    Red Dog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,165
    Rep Power
    39387
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    59.16%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Regardless of what is actually more effective, all you are gonna hear from anybody on this forum is to focus on compound lifts.
  5. New Member
    jontrainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    130
    Rep Power
    132
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    87.94%

    i always go back to skulls/bar curls and progressive overload(and lots of oatmeal). Your curling 65 dumbbells? WOW!
  6. flw
    New Member
    flw's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    212
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    66.65%

    Thanks, I do need to get back to doing more of the big excercises, I'm definately a fan of the less is more approach but I've gotten away from some of the compound movements that used to be my staples.
    Quote Originally Posted by Type O Hero View Post
    I think the trick is to do heavy compound lifts for your major muscle groups with a minimum amount of direct arm work. For instance, after you've done a heavy chest or shoulders workout, do a set or two of heavy dips. After a heavy back workout, do a set or two of biceps. For a while I've been doing dips for triceps and chins (palms facing you) for biceps. Every once in a while I'll do something like extensions for triceps or incline DB curls for biceps to switch it up. Or maybe if I'm doing two sets for biceps after a back workout I may do one set of chins and one set of incline DB curls, or whatever. For triceps, do heavy presses, for biceps do rows (try underhand rows every other workout; these work great for biceps). Deadlifts also help make stronger biceps.

    I get more by doing less. I could do an hour long arm workout if I wanted to, get a crazy pump, but not really go anywhere with it other than getting a great pump that day. Less is more but do it with high intesnity and heavy weight. It's all about total volume.
  7. flw
    New Member
    flw's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    212
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    66.65%

    So are you suggesting compound lifts are another approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    Regardless of what is actually more effective, all you are gonna hear from anybody on this forum is to focus on compound lifts.
  8. flw
    New Member
    flw's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    212
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    66.65%

    Oatmeal is great. I used to makes shakes in the AM: half to one cup of oats ground in a coffee grinder, a cup of frozen fruit, some yogurt and a half to one cup of egg whites i believe. I'm not a big breakfast person but I can drink a shake and you can easily pack 500 plus calories and 30 to 50 grams of protein into those shakes. Talking about it makes me want to order some more egg whites. I think I will pick some up from trader joes and give it a try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jontrainer View Post
    i always go back to skulls/bar curls and progressive overload(and lots of oatmeal). Your curling 65 dumbbells? WOW!
  9. New Member
    jontrainer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    130
    Rep Power
    132
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    87.94%

    I hear Ya. I get up at 4:30 and am def not ready to eat 10 egg whites. I usually do a scoop of casein, milk, oatmeal, banana, natty pb, ice. TJ's egg whites are cheap. Love that place.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Help with 5/3/1 routine
    By SweetLou321 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2010, 07:16 AM
  2. Help With My HST Routine
    By koi1214 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 01:07 PM
  3. Muscle Confusion or The ‘Non – Routine’ Routine
    By Quinc in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2007, 02:46 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2007, 03:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in