Back pain after leg presses

Ol'Dirty

Ol'Dirty

Awards
Anyone have this happen just finished heavy leg presses, was fine sat a second went to stand up it felt like someone hit me in the lumbar with a friggin bat.

Went away pretty quick...finished workout, went home now I can't move

Anyone have any advice...not a herniation, had those before, but Vic's are barely touching it

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
dont go down as low!

your lumbar is rolling and thus causing the pain and improper form.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How can you have improper form on a leg press lol..
when your hip rolls, it puts pressure on your lower back, ina BAD way.

and you feel it roll when you go to deep. go to the point before it rolls yourll feel it, or if you dont feel it have someone watch you from an angle, or tape it and youll see your mistake.

just because its a machine on a fixed plane doesnt mean you cant **** up.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
when your hip rolls, it puts pressure on your lower back, ina BAD way.

and you feel it roll when you go to deep. go to the point before it rolls yourll feel it, or if you dont feel it have someone watch you from an angle, or tape it and youll see your mistake.

just because its a machine on a fixed plane doesnt mean you cant **** up.
Right, I understand that, but I have never felt anything roll. Sure there is the feeling of pressure, but thats natural.. Guess I have never ****ed up lol.. Never has my squats or leg presses caused and back pain..

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Right, I understand that, but I have never felt anything roll. Sure there is the feeling of pressure, but thats natural.. Guess I have never ****ed up lol.. Never has my squats or leg presses caused and back pain..
sqauts are a little different.

your natural arch and curve when you do it, you wont roll foward.

when your lower back rolls up and your lumbar region is no longer staight it happens.

trust me i was all about deep presses and was doing fine and my back hurt for somereason almost every time.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I get the same problem, and I go all the way down on the leg press so I assume Im doing the same thing?

damn that thing

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I get the same problem, and I go all the way down on the leg press so I assume Im doing the same thing?

damn that thing
yea if you can look at yourself in a mirror,

your rolling your sacrum up in the air to go that deep, DONT DO THAT!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
i have been wondering this for the longest time every time i do leg presses my lower back would hurt like a bad form on Deads.. That would happen when i would let the weights come pretty low... However if i dont go to low i dont really feel it work... i do the horizantal leg press now it works way beetttter

brownchoclit

brownchoclit

Awards
dont go down as low!

^^^ this!!! i have bad lower back issues and cant go below a certain point unless with a very light weight.

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
dont go down as low!

great assessment

yes, the lumbar region of the lower back has a natural concave curve.. the "rolling" crazy's referring to is due to posterior tilt of the pelvis and decrease in that lumbar curve

this causes the intervertebral spaces to open posteriorly and stretches the annulus fibrosis of the "disc" which can result in herniation of the nucleus pulposus and impingment of a spinal nerve, hence the sharp pain you guys are experiencing

anabolicmom

Awards
U need to be using ur core and butt... If ur alrdy doing this then u need try stretching before and in between sets. Especially if u tend to lift more weight then ur last workout. But if it still hurts tomorrow I wld go to the chiropractor. Put heat for 15 mins then ice 15 mins it may help u sleep

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
U need to be using ur core and butt... If ur alrdy doing this then u need try stretching before and in between sets. Especially if u tend to lift more weight then ur last workout. But if it still hurts tomorrow I wld go to the chiropractor. Put heat for 15 mins then ice 15 mins it may help u sleep
stretching is irrelavent in this case, its not really a muscular related problem

i wouldnt advice anyone to go to the chiropractor before a thorough examination done preferably by a PT

heat only in chronic cases... if you experience this pain during your leg press routine, ice it that day.. no heat.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Streching will ghelp after exercise as your hamstrings tie imto your lower back.

Now using your core and but has nothing to do with him obviously going to deep and rolling his sacrum.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
if you go heavy, avoid rolling by staying on the seat, completely flush with the back support. tighten up your core, and if it makes it a little easier open up your legs just a bit more

cant believe people think you cant get hurt on the leg press lol....... i do 1010 on that thing and stand up with my abs on fire from trying to keep everything where it should be

bezoe

bezoe

Awards
  • Established
it would have to be the lower back muscles of the core helping to stabalize the pelvis in this case such as the quadratus lumborum.. the abdominals (rectus abdominus) inserts on the anterior pubis and its action is flexion of the trunk and posterior tilt of the pelvis, thus contributing to this "rolling of the saccrum" and decrease in lumbar curve.

i think keeping the spine neutral is inevitable when going past a certain depth on the leg press no matter how much "core" you tighten

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I am training at a new gym atm and the stupid seated leg press machine there doesnt have a lever to stop it going all the way down. Should I just use a wide stance to get it up then reposition my feet or just stay away?
I make a point to really push down and back against the seat but not sure if this is sufficient.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
I would use it, but then again I love leg presses. I reposition my feet to hit different parts of my leg, so as long as you're not doing REALLY heavy weight I think you can do this effectively.