can i take my lil bro to the gym w/me he's 15

realsoundjim

Awards
  • Established
my little brother is 15 and i was wondering if he may be able to come to the gym with me this summer. he is extremely big for his age, complete opposite of me. about 6 ft tall and very heavy though not extremely obese but defnitely needs some help. i was wondering if i might be able to take him 3 or 4 days per week for some weight training. is 15 too young? i dont want to hurt him in the long run

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
my little brother is 15 and i was wondering if he may be able to come to the gym with me this summer. he is extremely big for his age, complete opposite of me. about 6 ft tall and very heavy though not extremely obese but defnitely needs some help. i was wondering if i might be able to take him 3 or 4 days per week for some weight training. is 15 too young? i dont want to hurt him in the long run
No it's not too young. Keep in mind he might still be growing, so pay special attention to any injuries that might surface. There are weight routines out on the web for young kids and teenagers, though I don't see why he wouldn't benefit from a plain good old workout.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
No it's not too young. Keep in mind he might still be growing, so pay special attention to any injuries that might surface. There are weight routines out on the web for young kids and teenagers, though I don't see why he wouldn't benefit from a plain good old workout.
Big bump...

I would just have him do a very simple yet effective routine that doesn't really emphasize going to failure much at all...

All youngsters need is a sound diet, a little bit of stimulation, and A LOT of rest... ;)

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Should be fine, just lean more towards volume rather than HIT/max lifts. Get his ass on a stairmaster, lol.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Yes indeed, 15 is a good age to start. Like Jergo has said, simple basic lifts should do him well. Add in some pull-ups, bar dips and such. And like Bio suggested...get him on the stairmaster. Explain to him the importance of a good diet and show him how to manage it. Start him young and he will only benefit from it later on in life.

My son is 11 and is showing interest in training. I'm going to start him off slow, then introduce the Nautilus equipment to him at 13, then ease him into the free weights. All depends on his progress. I decided his first cycle of gear will be at 15. (That last part was only a joke :D )

realsoundjim

Awards
  • Established
cool thanks guys. yea i was a lil worried at first because i always hear people saying that if you work out too soon, it stunts ur growth and ruins ligaments, etc...whatever. however, i am a firm believer that excersize can't hurt you in moderation when ur young. as you have said , i won't get him doing crazy weight, going to failure etc. nice light to moderate, basic training. sweet, now i'll have a reliable spotter! I'm a lil selfish. i really wanted a spotter that i could count on. that was probly the real reason im thinking of taking him lol either way.. he does need some excercise

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
cool thanks guys. yea i was a lil worried at first because i always hear people saying that if you work out too soon, it stunts ur growth and ruins ligaments, etc...whatever. however, i am a firm believer that excersize can't hurt you in moderation when ur young. as you have said , i won't get him doing crazy weight, going to failure etc. nice light to moderate, basic training. sweet, now i'll have a reliable spotter! I'm a lil selfish. i really wanted a spotter that i could count on. that was probly the real reason im thinking of taking him lol either way.. he does need some excercise
That little myth of weights stunting your growth was started by an elite group of little fat kids. They needed to find a valid excuse for why they didn't want to exercise so they cooked up this little myth and spread it all around the world within the elite groups underground network of fat kids.

Hope that clears the myth up for ya. Anyway get him in there using light weight in the begining and gradually build up. Don't be afraid 3 months from now to start him with heavier weights. It's good for him.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
I think 15 is plenty old, High School athletes are all lifting by that age. I started weight training regulary at 14, I lied about my age to join a gym at 15. It's a great idea to let him learn what he's doing from somebody who knows what they're doing, rather than let him follow his peers & lift like a idiot like 99% of teens you see in the gym.

morfiend

Awards
  • Established
why only use machines? might as well start him off on the right foot with free-weights. when we were in junior high, our P.E. coach was having us do squats, bench presses, military press... etc etc.

i don't see any reason why he shouldn't

realsoundjim

Awards
  • Established
lol i like the theory of the elite fat kids thats hilarious alright sounds good guys