Debating a change

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Debating a change

Thinking of canceling my gym memebership to join Ohio Krav Maga which offers Krav Maga, Crossfit, BJJ, Muay Thai, and MMA (all inclusive), and doing my lifting for free at DSCC (base) if I need to. Cost dif. is + $60/month. My real concern is the change from traditional weightlifting to Crossfit. I'm 32 now and I would like to feel more "in shape" and not be so sore in all my joints and back anymore, but I like being big. I just don't want to be so lumbering big anymore. Plus, the martial arts is something I've gotten away from for a long time, and now have the time and money to invest into it. Thoughts?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  190 lbs.

Sounds like you made your decision already. If you don't want your joints to be hurting and don't want to lumber around and WANT to feel more in shape...and you think crossfit will do it for you, then go for it.

Actually, my sister was talking about it to me and she loves it. As a bodybuilder myself, it sounds interesting, but won't help me meet my goals. However, if you don't have muscle-building desires, then go for crossfit.
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by BingeAndPurge View Post
    Thinking of canceling my gym memebership to join Ohio Krav Maga which offers Krav Maga, Crossfit, BJJ, Muay Thai, and MMA (all inclusive), and doing my lifting for free at DSCC (base) if I need to. Cost dif. is + $60/month. My real concern is the change from traditional weightlifting to Crossfit. I'm 32 now and I would like to feel more "in shape" and not be so sore in all my joints and back anymore, but I like being big. I just don't want to be so lumbering big anymore. Plus, the martial arts is something I've gotten away from for a long time, and now have the time and money to invest into it. Thoughts?
    Sounds like a plan. A few of my Army buddies love the CrossFit and do that stuff religiously. Just doing anything explosive in the realm of plyometrics will be beneficial, and for myself, fun. I changed up my routine a bit ago and involved more sport like functional movements and feel much better than before.

Invest in a good weight sled!
    The Historic PES Legend
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.

Just realized my name was in my OP. Copy and pasted this from my facebook. I do want to do this. It's just a drastic change and price jump.
  5. NOG
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

As already mentioned you should defiantly start with cf. I have used this training method during the last year and have never before experienced a so fun, manifold, hard and exhausting type of training. I find cf particularly interesting since it integrates so many different forms of physical training e.g. strength, cardiovascular\respiratory, flexibility, stamina, power..The goal of cf is to create a athlete able to accomplish a wide range of psychical tasks. The goals are achieved trough exercising functional strength movements like basic exercises (squats, deadlifts ..), Olympiclifts, kettlebells, gymnastics. They can be combined with cardio exercises (rows, running...) in order to gain a better endurance\stamina...

I am 27 years and have never been in a so good shape as of now. This is caused by cf..

If you don't have any progs to follow (cf don't use progs. it's random) I recommend www . tactical athlete . com or www . crossfit . com.

I have also written a study of cf, so if you have any questions I will happily answer (given I know the answer:-)
  6. Registered User

CrossFit is awesome...great for staying strong and building functional strength. (I'm 150lb female and PR'ed with a 305lb deadlift recently!!) And Krav Maga is unlike any martial art you've ever tried. More martial, less art.

Did you try a class at Ohio Krav Maga yet? Intro is $19 and it gets 2 people a introduction to Krav, a Krav level 1 class and a t-shirt.

Also, there's a 10% military discount...that oughta help the price jump a bit!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Debating On...
    By TeamT10 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 02:16 PM
  2. Debating on 3rd cycle PH
    By athlete18 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-21-2009, 01:45 PM
  3. Debating doing a DNP cycle...
    By NYhomeboy in forum Anabolics