Looking for some suggestions for exercise subsitutions

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I lift at home and don't own dumbbells. I have a power cage and barbell. Here are the two moves I am looking for a replacement for

pulldown (other then pull ups) - I was thinking of bent rows or yates row but now sure if the same muscles are targeted. Maybe the move where u stick the barbell in a corner and pull it up I dunno what it's called.

alternating dumbell press - I was thinking side to side push ups maybe

any suggestions or if someone can confirm if my ideas would be good replacements

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I lift at home and don't own dumbbells. I have a power cage and barbell. Here are the two moves I am looking for a replacement for

pulldown (other then pull ups) - I was thinking of bent rows or yates row but now sure if the same muscles are targeted. Maybe the move where u stick the barbell in a corner and pull it up I dunno what it's called.

alternating dumbell press - I was thinking side to side push ups maybe

any suggestions or if someone can confirm if my ideas would be good replacements
You're on the right track, and fine with your suggestions.

Pull-Down - Barbell Bent Over Rows, Reverse Rack Pulls, BB T-Rows = "where u stick the barbell in a corner and pull it up" (yes, they all work the back), and variations of Pull-Ups. The most challenging that I recommend is the Reverse Rack Pulls (i.e. like upside down bent over row).

Chest Press - Variations of Push-Ups (such as plyometric push-ups, hand-stand push-ups, side-to-side push-ups, etc.), and grip variations of BB Bench Press (you don't need to do it alternating, but working the chest through changes in exercises).

~Team APPNUT

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks Rosie!!! I just wanted to get a second opinion but its pretty much what I thought. Thanks again

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I consider Rows and Pullups as targetting 2 different muscle groups.
Both target the back, but depending on your grip (i.e. wide-grip, neutral, narrow, pronated or supinated) re pull-ups, you can target different areas of your back more - as well as targeting biceps more re your range of motion (i.e. half-reps will hit biceps more than back, etc.).

~Team APPNUT

Moeller

Moeller

Awards
According to EMG experiments, Underhand Feet Elevated Bodyweight Rows do a decent job at targeting the lats. For equal teres group & rib cage muscle development barbell pullovers should do fine, and eccentric emphasis rack pulls & deadlifts are a remarkable way of making the lats, mid/low traps & romboids activate. If a good row on top of all this doesn't do the trick, then nothing will.

But for gods sake just go outside somewhere and do chinups! lol

scope75

scope75

Awards
  • Established
dont have any suggestions for different workouts but if you want a set of dumbbells check out craigslist i've found complete sets from like 10-110lbs for about 300 dollars or some for even less you just need to search for a few weeks and you'll find a killer deal.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
According to EMG experiments, Underhand Feet Elevated Bodyweight Rows do a decent job at targeting the lats. For equal teres group & rib cage muscle development barbell pullovers should do fine, and eccentric emphasis rack pulls & deadlifts are a remarkable way of making the lats, mid/low traps & romboids activate. If a good row on top of all this doesn't do the trick, then nothing will.

Yep and I have seen EMG studies say bent over rows target lats more than pulldowns, chinups etc, but I find it very strange.

When I do bent over rows, I dont feel it in my lats at all, I feel it in my back muscles I think rhomboids not sure, and when I do pullups and chinups etc I feel it mostly in my lats.

They are 2 different movements, pullups being mostly adduction and chinups and rows being flexion.