German Volume Training - Anyone done it recently?

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
OK. There are several threads on this type of routine here, but I did not want to resurrect them (some were 8 years old)

I'm going on leave soon, want to put on some mass before I do. Not worried about strength because that's not my goal for the next month or so, so don't tell me GVT sucks for strength, because I know :)

Anyways. If you don't know what it is, check here:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/exercise-science/659-german-volume-training.html

Basically 10x10 for one body part once per week.

Seems like some people have much love and some people have much hate, and it looks like the haters are doing it wrong...if you can finish 10x10 you need to increase weight until you can't.

So after doing much reading, I was pretty much settled on a GVT routine. Then I found this article:
TMUSCLE.com | German Volume Training

Which looks like it takes GVT to a whole new level. What do you guys think? MrBigPR I know you love GVT, would love to have your input :)

Again, goal here is to blow up a bit in 4-6 weeks while I run natadrol, so please no, "you will get weak biatch"

seunim

seunim

Awards
  • Established
I was doing it a few months back but like every third week. I was going heavy 2 weeks 4-6 reps, and then 10x10 for one week. Saw some decent results.

james122

james122

Awards
  • Established
I did a version of it for aobut 3 months, it was a 6 x 6 2 ex per body part but with heavier weights(ovb. for six reps) and kept the weight the same from week to week, but cut the rest between sets by 10 sec. every week, Till i got down to 20 seconds then uped the weight, I saw the best progress In terms of growth that i have ever seen (ive only been training for just under 4 years) but it was super taxing to my cns, and after 3 months my recovery really started to suffer so i have since brought the volume down to normal, I will do it again though, for me it worked great.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
mate,

I've done the tmuscle optimised volume training, which is 5x5 (very heavy) and 5x5 light but very slow and controlled. Two sets of two (for exercises per bodypart) supersets. I agree with James, this version is great for the soreness and muscle growth, but it kills the CNS. I really way struggling after a few weeks and brought the volume right down after 4 weeks. I think its a good shock routine once in a while.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input guys! I will definitely be doing this one then :D This one = the T muscle routine

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established
It's a pretty good workout. ENdurance is needed, sh*t gets tough. You've got some good sources there, solid bro.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
^ I'm just going to psych myself up for the next 5 days lol!

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
I just got finished a 3 month run with GVT. It was BRVTAL! I, quite literally, would get scared when I would be traveling to the gym on squat and DL days. I like the TMuscle version, though. It seems to break up the monotony which was a real bummer. Oh and don't be so sure that your strength will suffer. I'm noticeably stronger than I was previously.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Planning the routine right now...for the T-Muscle version,

Should I still superset the splits? I'm going to follow the split listed there, but switch the days around.

Normal GVT as I read it was for example, say you are doing chest/tri

Chest move 1, 1 set of 10
tri move 1, 1 set of 10

repeat until finished.

It looks like the tmuscle one is set up like

do all 10 sets chest
do all 10 sets tri

So, to superset or not to superset?

seunim

seunim

Awards
  • Established
Why not alternate to provide more of a shock to your system? One week straight sets next week super sets.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I personally like GVT as it was originally designed. 1 exercise, 10 sets supersets with 10 sets for another body part. 60 seconds rest between the "supersets". Then finishing them off with another 3 sets of an isolation move for the body part. Do it the way it was written then go with the modification. I have done the modification as well and although monotonous to me I got better results with the original. Either way will shock your muscle into growth.

Back/Chest
Quads/Hams
Biceps/Triceps the final exercises for 3 sets here would actually be used for 3 sets of lateral raises, and 3 rear lateral raises instead of direct arm work.

This program is killer. I would try it that way first. Then IF you think it needs improved go ahead and try the other way.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
What exercises did you use MrKleen? The originals where chest/back was decline db press/chinup with incline db fly and db rows as auxillary?

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
Wow this routine sparked my muscles fibers with excitement for something new..Theres a few templates on bb.com, however I'm not understanding why you would train chest and back in the same day..thats so stressful on the CNS.. What I got from it was, Choose an excercise, A1 for example to superset(optional?) with A2. So for chest and back..Incline bench press supersetted with Pullups until ten supersets of 10 reps for each excercise is completed? And then you'd do side work so triceps..but only 3 sets of 10-12? Hmm..

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
^ the split is optional really.

But yeah you are essentially doing 26 sets per day. Stamina is a must, people all over saying they get CNS failure after a few weeks, and only do it that long. I'm just going to man up, because that's what the routine is all about, if you have ever ran long distance before you know the reasoning.

IE: you are going to train for a 5m race.
you don't start small...you run 10 miles the first day of training. Then you run 5x 1 mile repeats the next day, then 8 miles, then 5x 800 meter dashes, then 12 miles as your cool down for the week. Yeah, the first month is absolute hell, but if you nut up your body is forced to adapt or fail, I am lucky to have the kind of body that adapts quickly. I did the above running routine for 2 months and cut my 3 mile time from 27mins, to 19:33.

So you absolutely crush your body. First few weeks will blow ass. After that you 'should' start growing like nothing else, because your body has to.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What exercises did you use MrKleen? The originals where chest/back was decline db press/chinup with incline db fly and db rows as auxillary?
Yeah that is what I used. However if you want to work on back thickness you could do the rows as the main and the chins as the auxiliary.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I never experienced any CNS issues with this training. Back and Chest is one of the best splits around in my opinion. I imagine people using multiple exercises might but you are doing the same movement over and over, nothing new for the CNS to do besides slow the weight down. You can find the entire original write up on this in the old EAS Supplement Review book from a long time ago, as well as on the site you have already posted.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
^ the split is optional really.

But yeah you are essentially doing 26 sets per day. Stamina is a must, people all over saying they get CNS failure after a few weeks, and only do it that long. I'm just going to man up, because that's what the routine is all about, if you have ever ran long distance before you know the reasoning.

IE: you are going to train for a 5m race.
you don't start small...you run 10 miles the first day of training. Then you run 5x 1 mile repeats the next day, then 8 miles, then 5x 800 meter dashes, then 12 miles as your cool down for the week. Yeah, the first month is absolute hell, but if you nut up your body is forced to adapt or fail, I am lucky to have the kind of body that adapts quickly. I did the above running routine for 2 months and cut my 3 mile time from 27mins, to 19:33.

So you absolutely crush your body. First few weeks will blow ass. After that you 'should' start growing like nothing else, because your body has to.
Exactly! Nut up or shut up. :sombrero::yeah::ban::whip: :bandit: :drillsergeant::head: :smoker: :usa1::439:

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
^ yeah, but either way you are going to get smoked o_O 60-90 sec rest between sets. I think they have it set up as supersets for the last 5 sets, you'll be getting a little extra rest if you superset chest/back or chest/tri or whatever vs just doing all 10 sets chest at once

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
finalized - the week deal below denotes which exercises I am going to rotate, which wont happen to most, just some I think need it. And I can't not have deadlifts in a routine...never done high volume deadlift, so well see how that goes $$

Week: 1/2/3/4/5/6

Day1
A1: decline bench/incline bench/flat bench/decline/incline/flat
A2: chinup all 6 weeks
B1: incline db fly/decline db fly/flat db fly/incline/decline/flat
B2: One arm db row/B.O. Row/one arm db row/bo row/one arm db row/bo row

Day2
A1: Squats all 6 weeks
A2: Lying leg curl all 6 weeks
B1: Low cable pull-ins/deadlift/pullins/deadlift/pullins/deadlift
B2: Smith calf raise all 6 weeks

Day3: off

Day4:
A1: Dips all 6 weeks
A2: Incline hammer curls all 6 weeks
B1: B.O. DB Lat Raise all 6 weeks
B2: Seated db lat raise all 6 weeks

Day 5 rest

and repeat

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
Dude your cns is going to get smoked with the deadlifts and you're going to overtrain verrry quickly and end up having to take time off rather then gain..unless you're on some anabolics noway your recovery is gunna be able to handle that..

I was going to follow this plan without the supersets..

60 sec rest

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/german-volume-training-for-shocking-muscle-growth.html?page=2

I'm also not understanding Charles P version on t-nation of the 10x5..which ultimately becomes 10x3 in the ending week..grr simplicity always goes out the window with BB

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
^ the key to avoiding CNS failure is using the proper weight. I'll just be deadlifting every other week for 3 sets. I think all the people who have negative results and hit CNS in 2 weeks just chose a bad weight. I'll only be doing 135 for the presses, 155 for squats, and deadlifting 180 or so.

A1 and A2 are both 10x10, and B1 and B2 are 10-20x3

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
Ah I see, but regardless you dont think thats alot?

I was gunna run the one above, where its just one excercise per muscle group the 10x10. then the aux work is only 3x6-12

so like..

Monday
Chest/back
Flat bench 10x0
one arm db rows 10x10
skullcrushers 3x8 On that outline..but the charles P looks intresting cuz I grow from those 5 rep range better anyway..ahh..confusing!

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
Dude your cns is going to get smoked with the deadlifts and you're going to overtrain verrry quickly and end up having to take time off rather then gain..unless you're on some anabolics noway your recovery is gunna be able to handle that..

I was going to follow this plan without the supersets..

60 sec rest

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/german-volume-training-for-shocking-muscle-growth.html?page=2

I'm also not understanding Charles P version on t-nation of the 10x5..which ultimately becomes 10x3 in the ending week..grr simplicity always goes out the window with BB
I dunno if I agree with that guy fully. Seems like some misinformation in there in regards to the original workout. The comments are hilarious though :D