Rotator cuff stregthening/rehab

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  242 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.22%

Rotator cuff stregthening/rehab

I've put together a rotator cuff stregthening protocol for myself. I torn my posterior labrum a few years ago and had surgery for it 2 years ago, but never really had proper rehab for it. I continued to attempt to lift, but after awhile I'll experience pain. I have two questions. One, is it possible that my shoulder pain could be due to weak deltoid muscles? Or is it always the rotator cuff? My routine consists of various lateral raises, external/internal rotations, and other posterior deltoid exercises. My question is what rep range should I be in? Should I be in the typical 8-15 rep range to build muscle incase the weak deltoid muscles are causing the pain or should I be in the 15-25 rep range?

2. Banned
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.26%

Pain is never good, and is probably not a weak muscle. When a muscle cannot lift a load it just doesnt.

Start at lower weights even if they feel too light and work your way up, but if you still get pain, then your gunna have to look into new avenues. I defintely you get a checkup from a sports doc or a physical therapist.
  3. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Where you suppose to get rehab after it? A nurse should of followed you up and lightly badgered you if it were important.

Weakness causes instability and can cause pain, but internal external rotations dont just fix everthing, there are tons of exercises for shoulder rehab.

At the moment I am doing physio for forward shoulder posture and overdeveloped traps.

I set my shoulder in place and do flexion, extension, abduction, adduction, internal and external rotations, aswell as another excercise for adduction where I squeeze a pillow and also rear delt flies with hands externally rotated which for some reason are really doing a number on my shoulder.
    I think all these are working my coracobrachialis or pec minor along with rotator cuffs, and also retraining the CNS with old movements but in an adjusted shoulder position, I am actually surprised at how fast its working but its mentally exhausting, much harder than my routine and it looks a lot easier than it is.

I was told to do 1 set of 10-20 reps with a 6 second hold on each lift, 3 times a day but this is way too much for me and its cutting into my routine, I am getting twinges, adjustment pain and bad DOMS so I am cutting it down to 1 set twice a week, the weight I use is fairly heavy for the movements but I never do them to failure.

If you need shoulder rehab its one of those things that go beyond the scope of the internet and especially any forums, you need a proper physical examination and be prescribed a personalised routine.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'5"  242 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    86.22%

Quote Originally Posted by deadaim View Post
    Pain is never good, and is probably not a weak muscle. When a muscle cannot lift a load it just doesnt.

Start at lower weights even if they feel too light and work your way up, but if you still get pain, then your gunna have to look into new avenues. I defintely you get a checkup from a sports doc or a physical therapist.
    Start a lower weights, but what rep range?

Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    Where you suppose to get rehab after it? A nurse should of followed you up and lightly badgered you if it were important.

Weakness causes instability and can cause pain, but internal external rotations dont just fix everthing, there are tons of exercises for shoulder rehab.

At the moment I am doing physio for forward shoulder posture and overdeveloped traps.

I set my shoulder in place and do flexion, extension, abduction, adduction, internal and external rotations, aswell as another excercise for adduction where I squeeze a pillow and also rear delt flies with hands externally rotated which for some reason are really doing a number on my shoulder.
    I think all these are working my coracobrachialis or pec minor along with rotator cuffs, and also retraining the CNS with old movements but in an adjusted shoulder position, I am actually surprised at how fast its working but its mentally exhausting, much harder than my routine and it looks a lot easier than it is.

I was told to do 1 set of 10-20 reps with a 6 second hold on each lift, 3 times a day but this is way too much for me and its cutting into my routine, I am getting twinges, adjustment pain and bad DOMS so I am cutting it down to 1 set twice a week, the weight I use is fairly heavy for the movements but I never do them to failure.

If you need shoulder rehab its one of those things that go beyond the scope of the internet and especially any forums, you need a proper physical examination and be prescribed a personalised routine.
    I did go to rehab, it was like for 6 weeks, and then I had to stop because I was going away for school. I came back to check on them, and they did some tests, and said I was doin pretty good. But I still get pain, so IDK.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Rotator cuff
    By 0-hero in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 04:10 AM
  2. Rotator cuff...?
    By RavensFan2k3 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-19-2009, 12:38 AM
  3. Rotator cuff
    By jng in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2