Shaping my Arms and Waist

B

bigred869

Awards
  • Established
I've been working out for about 6 years now and am pretty satisfied with my weight and body fat percentage, so lately I have been focusing on shaping.

Firstly, my arms look great from the sides (almost too big actually) however from the front my arms look very skinny in proportion to my chest. How can I change my bicep/tricep/forearm workout to make my arms look bigger from the front instead of from the sides?

Also although I have a large chest, because of my bone structure there isn't a very large difference between my shoulder-to-sholder distance and my waist so I am wondering how to either make my shoulders/chest appear wider or my waist appear smaller to give me more of a "vee look" given my restricted bone structure

Thanks.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I would say that if you want your upper arms to look bigger from the front or rear, that you really need to focus on your triceps. Your bi's are fully extended when your arms are hanging by your side...any muscle when fully extended is going to look much thinner. Your triceps, on the other hand, are fully contracted...and at their fullest. If you make this muscle group larger, your arms will appear fuller and thicker when extended. I would concentrate on building them up...and making them massive.
Push-downs
triangle push-ups
close grip bench
heavy dips

For the "V" shape, I believe it has more to do with what is going on with your back, and below the shoulders than how wide your shoulders are. Focus on working your lats - getting them big and long will emphasize that classic V shape we are all looking for. Rounding our those delts will help make your shoulders look bigger...but IMHO, the lats are where its at for the V shape.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree about the triceps creating the wide effect when viewed from front or behind. I mean, you're never going to see someone's biceps wider than their triceps from the front.

The best mass building exercises for triceps include dips and close grip bench presses. If you're wanting to build mass and still want to do isolation work, stick with extensions (skull crushers: seated, laying or standing) because these allow you to use way more weight than something like pushdowns or kickbacks. You can still do these exercises, they're just not effective as mass builders.

For biceps, heavy barbell curls, incline DB curls and chins are your best bet. You can do other biceps exercises to switch things up (I switch it up often) but those three are the best biceps-specific exercises in my opinion.

Good luck bro

S

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
I would say that if you want your upper arms to look bigger from the front or rear, that you really need to focus on your triceps. Your bi's are fully extended when your arms are hanging by your side...any muscle when fully extended is going to look much thinner. Your triceps, on the other hand, are fully contracted...and at their fullest. If you make this muscle group larger, your arms will appear fuller and thicker when extended. I would concentrate on building them up...and making them massive.
Push-downs
triangle push-ups
close grip bench
heavy dips

For the "V" shape, I believe it has more to do with what is going on with your back, and below the shoulders than how wide your shoulders are. Focus on working your lats - getting them big and long will emphasize that classic V shape we are all looking for. Rounding our those delts will help make your shoulders look bigger...but IMHO, the lats are where its at for the V shape.
^^^ This . Get a good horseshoe tricep going and doing enough lat work will make you look like you got a set of wings from the front .:fing02: