REP-PAUSE TRAINING

1. Pinky355

REP-PAUSE TRAINING

Anyone tried REP-PAUSE TRAINING?
    I typically train 4 days a week CHEST & TRIS/LEGS/SHOULDERS/BACK & BI's but cycle thru various programs while doing this. One of them is REP-PAUSE training for the main exersize on each day. By REP-PAUSE I mean that rather than doing various reps in sets I will pick a weight and do individual reps spaced out by a set rest time and then do a total of 30 to 50 depending on the weight.
    So doing this I will do it for the incline bench on chest day, the millitary press on shoulders day, the squat on legs day and the deadlift on back day.
    The time can range from a REP every 15 seconds to every 30 seconds depending on what weight or exersize you are doing. For ever other exersize on each day I will do normal reps and sets.
    The benefits from this I have found to be able to work at the higher end of my single rep max range and it has helped to exersize thru sticking points on certain exersizes as you are only doing one rep at a time.
    Unlike normal sets you dont fatigue every set but rather build up slowly to the point of fatigue.
    The aim is similar to 5x5 training where by you try and add a little weight each new cycle. I may only do this for a 3-4 weeks every 6 months or so to add some variety to my work outs.
    I was just curious if anyone else has trained in a similar way?

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.75%

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky355 View Post
    Anyone tried REP-PAUSE TRAINING?
    I typically train 4 days a week CHEST & TRIS/LEGS/SHOULDERS/BACK & BI's but cycle thru various programs while doing this. One of them is REP-PAUSE training for the main exersize on each day. By REP-PAUSE I mean that rather than doing various reps in sets I will pick a weight and do individual reps spaced out by a set rest time and then do a total of 30 to 50 depending on the weight.
    So doing this I will do it for the incline bench on chest day, the millitary press on shoulders day, the squat on legs day and the deadlift on back day.
    The time can range from a REP every 15 seconds to every 30 seconds depending on what weight or exersize you are doing. For ever other exersize on each day I will do normal reps and sets.
    The benefits from this I have found to be able to work at the higher end of my single rep max range and it has helped to exersize thru sticking points on certain exersizes as you are only doing one rep at a time.
    Unlike normal sets you dont fatigue every set but rather build up slowly to the point of fatigue.
    The aim is similar to 5x5 training where by you try and add a little weight each new cycle. I may only do this for a 3-4 weeks every 6 months or so to add some variety to my work outs.
    I was just curious if anyone else has trained in a similar way?
    Yes, I call it heavy singles. I have never used it as a separate training regimine, but rather use it when I warm up, mostly only on my 3 core excercises, b,d,s. I do a few increasingly heavy single reps before doing my work sets. Then when you drop the weight back for your work sets it feels lighter and you're ready to rock!
  3. Pinky355

Sounds very similar and again your using it primarily on the 3 core exersizes. I might try it myself as a warm up before going into normal sets instead of a lighter high rep set.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  245 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.75%

Quote Originally Posted by Pinky355 View Post
    Sounds very similar and again your using it primarily on the 3 core exersizes. I might try it myself as a warm up before going into normal sets instead of a lighter high rep set.
    I kind of like it cause it always keeps you in touch with the heavier weight. In between my singles I will usually go do a set of some auxillary excercise that will target an area of weakness, but won't interfere with my routine for that particular day.

Similar Forum Threads

1. rest-pause with 5/3/1
    By cranghel099 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 03:56 PM
  2. what exactly is rest pause?
    By 1517 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-10-2009, 06:48 AM
  3. The evolution of rest-pause training
    By MyRevolution in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2