Forearm Stress Fracture???

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Answers

Forearm Stress Fracture???

I've been doing preacher curls on the machine, fairly heavy. I've developed serious bicep musculature. My arms are almost above 17 inches and I'm 5 7. However, my forearms are gentically pretty small. I work them hard but I have extremely tiny wrists and joints.

Now, recently I've been going up in weights, until yesterday I noticed a strange pain.

When I curl heavy weight with my left arm, face up, it feels fine until I let go of the weight. When I let go, I feel this "bending-back" feeling thats quite painful. It feels like my arm is slightly bending in the middle of my underside, forearm. I immediately dropped the weight. If I press my hands together as hard as possible, I feel the pain upon releasing.

Now, today, 1 day later, my I experience the same "bending-back" slight pain whenever I load anything on my underside forarm wrist turned up. Turning the steering wheel fast, picking up a backpack, etc...

I have no loss of strength, no pinpointable pain, nothing feels sharp are pulled. To the touch, I can't find anything in the soft-tissue that hurts. It only hurts under load.

I believe this is a stress fracture. How long should I take off? All my workouts are fine except wrist-up curls. I planned on running a serious cycle of Test-E and havoc in 3 weeks. Should I completely take off lifting until then? Should I continue to lift but avoid anything that makes it hurt?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Answers

i would say take off about a week, then if the pain persists, get an x-ray. a little time off is better than ruining your training for a long time.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mball52 View Post
    i would say take off about a week, then if the pain persists, get an x-ray. a little time off is better than ruining your training for a long time.
    absolutely, I'm taking off 2 weeks. Ill just switch to cardio, drop some of the carbs so I don't get fat from not using them in the weight room, and up the protein to maintain the muscle.

I've been doing some research on this injury, it seems extremely common among weight lifters. Is a 'forearm splint' actually a bone problem or is it the tendons around the bone aching when the bone is under tension?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Answers

tendons i believe. its probably similar to a shin splint.
  5. Registered User
    Answers

I developed a similar problem from going very heavy with bad form. I had to back off of the weight and curl with very strict form. I used cissus and glucosomine supplements to help the tendons heal. I also would ice my forearm/elbow area after each bicep workout.

It took about 4 or 5 months to curl w/o discomfort, but now I'm right back to the same weight (if not heavier) than before only with proper form. It made sense to me to back off and lift lighter than to risk an injury and not be able to lift at all for an extended period. I think you're on the right track.

I hope this helps a little.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Answers

I wish I could understand why its a tendon thing and not a bone probem. I can feel the tendons running down my arm. They are not sore/tight/pulled at all. Its deep down below the muscle, feels like I've hit my bone with a hammer when I load my forearm and release.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  260 lbs.
    Answers

You should probably go get an x-ray if you really think it's a bone problem. That way you know what you are dealing with and can rest and rehab as appropriate for the condition. Most people who have had forearm stress fractures that I've known of have chronic aching and pain with any type of loading. If you do indeed have a stress fracture, it will likely take several weeks to heal and you will have to work back into things slowly.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  223 lbs.
    Answers

Sounds like a ligament or tendon issue. Either take a break from training, and see if it improves....or get it checked out. Don't wind up with a permanent issue.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

ive been having a similar pain in my forearm, ive had to go to light weights when doing biceps and just been doing light reverse curls for my wrists
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Answers

This is a very common problem. try pushing at the bone in the middle of your forearm and then pushing your finger back in underneath. see if you can feel pain then. I can never feel pain unless I do that. I switched from doing curls a month and a half ago and just use rows to work my biceps. I have maintains my bicepts at 15 inches which, although Id like them bigger, for my age and build they arent too bad. I understand though If i had my arms up to 17 inches I wouldnt want to quit curls either.. hahaha.

Anyways, try some of the supps mentioned above. im personally using glucosamine msm or sulfate depends what the bottle says but it seems to help all my joints and tendons. ive heard good htings about cissus for elbow problems... hmm.

If you figure anything more out let me know, ill be checking in to see how your doing because I suffer from the same/a similar issue. I also find that doing hammer curls keeping the weight vertical top to bottom aka forearms in, and going up about 3/4 of the way, so the weight doesnt go on and off of my forearm, makes them not hurt until I at least set them down. does the pain lessen if you gradually release the weight instead of straight up dropping it? PS goodluck with your cycle, sounds good
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by CountryLiftin View Post
    This is a very common problem. try pushing at the bone in the middle of your forearm and then pushing your finger back in underneath. see if you can feel pain then. I can never feel pain unless I do that. I switched from doing curls a month and a half ago and just use rows to work my biceps. I have maintains my bicepts at 15 inches which, although Id like them bigger, for my age and build they arent too bad. I understand though If i had my arms up to 17 inches I wouldnt want to quit curls either.. hahaha.

Anyways, try some of the supps mentioned above. im personally using glucosamine msm or sulfate depends what the bottle says but it seems to help all my joints and tendons. ive heard good htings about cissus for elbow problems... hmm.

If you figure anything more out let me know, ill be checking in to see how your doing because I suffer from the same/a similar issue. I also find that doing hammer curls keeping the weight vertical top to bottom aka forearms in, and going up about 3/4 of the way, so the weight doesnt go on and off of my forearm, makes them not hurt until I at least set them down. does the pain lessen if you gradually release the weight instead of straight up dropping it? PS goodluck with your cycle, sounds good
    never diagnosed the pain, just kept pushing through it, and now its gone completely. I notice it comes and goes depending on bicep exercises I perform. My arms have progressed to near 18inches now and I'm not having any pain at this moment (knock on wood).
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Answers

haha very nice. mine was gona til a few days ago I got a few pangs, so Im takin it easy on them for a few days. im 15 now without workin out so after workout they are probably a bit more. shootin for those 22s.... hahaha.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Answers

haha btw my bad, I didnt check the date when I posted on this... I was just searchin for stuff and it came up near the top so I assumed it was recent. hahaha
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. IGF-1 For Stress Fracture/Forearm Splint
    By monsterbox in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2010, 08:16 AM
  2. Did i fracture something?
    By madds87 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 11:35 AM
  3. boxer fracture
    By quakebks in forum Exercise Science