What makes you lose muscle mass?

DB21

DB21

Awards
Okay, so I'm paranoid of losing muscle mass. What all makes you lose muscle mass?
And if I'm taking a four day break from working out, will I lose any?

EustisPanther

EustisPanther

Awards
  • Established
Anything that causes your body to eat protein more so than fat/carbs.

Being catabolic, overtraining, bad diet, lack of rest, low test, insufficient protein intake, high heart rate cardio (good in moderation, but higher heart rates signal your body to burn protein bc it's a faster source of fuel)

Lots of stuff can make you loose muscle mass. But if you're eating right, training right, and getting enough rest then you shouldn't have any trouble. Unless you're talking about loosing mass after a cycle.

DB21

DB21

Awards
Thank you. It just feels like I'm so paranoid. I mean, every time I look in the mirror, I feel smaller every day. I hate it. I can't look at myself because I'll think I'm smaller and then I'll convince myself that I am. But would taking a four day break make me lose any mass? By the way, thanks for the advice.

EustisPanther

EustisPanther

Awards
  • Established
A four day break can be good for you if you haven't had one in a long time. Just stay active, don't be a couch potato during the break.

Don't worry about feeling smaller, I'm paranoid about that sh*t too. I measure my bi's way to much to make sure they're not shrinking be 17.5 lol.

If you take a break just stay on a clean diet and do some kind of physical activity that's not too demanding. Walking, push ups, sit ups etc. You'll be fine.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Every now and then my work schedule F's up my work out schedule so I'll go a week or two with out lifting, but first thing in the morning I'll jump on the treadmill for 10-15 min then bang out as many push ups that I can before getting ready for work.

Anyway, I may not be gaining any, but I don't think I lose any, either. Once I get back to lifting I'm right where I left off.

So no loss, no gains.

orangerain

Awards
Too much cardio and not enough strength training? I heard that from my personal trainer before. I'm not sure if I heard that right, though. :D

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
4 day breaks are nothing to worry about, IMO. Just hit it hard when you go back. I just had 4 days off from the gym this past week (thurs through sun) but I'm ready to go in and go hard tonight.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
4 day breaks are nothing to worry about, IMO. Just hit it hard when you go back. I just had 4 days off from the gym this past week (thurs through sun) but I'm ready to go in and go hard tonight.
He's right, extra time off just means you're able to, and motivated to, hit it harder the next go around.

DB21

DB21

Awards
Thank you all very much. I hit it hard yesterday, but I ran out of stamina faster because I was hitting it so hard. I feel more refreshed, but feel lots smaller.

jherman08

jherman08

Awards
  • Established
Thank you all very much. I hit it hard yesterday, but I ran out of stamina faster because I was hitting it so hard. I feel more refreshed, but feel lots smaller.
had the same problem 2 days ago, but she knows its almost pct time

:smirk:

Kookahdoo

Kookahdoo

Awards
  • Established
Okay, so I'm paranoid of losing muscle mass. What all makes you lose muscle mass?
And if I'm taking a four day break from working out, will I lose any?
People under estimate rest. You NEED to take breaks. I'll take a week and a half off sometimes. When I come back, I'm stronger and have better workouts.

Thank you. It just feels like I'm so paranoid. I mean, every time I look in the mirror, I feel smaller every day. I hate it. I can't look at myself because I'll think I'm smaller and then I'll convince myself that I am. But would taking a four day break make me lose any mass? By the way, thanks for the advice.
Don't worry, it takes more than a few days to lose muscle. It's all in your head. Becareful before you get Bigorexia....

Frequency

Frequency

Awards
  • Established
based on what i can tell from your avatar you seem young. If thats the case, especially at your current size i imagine you would have to be really inactive for a long period of time before you lost, or at least noticed you lost, muscle mass. Im currently 182 and ive gone a month before without working out and have noticed myself getting any smaller, havent lost weight because of it in the past, and havent gotten weaker.

DB21

DB21

Awards
Haha yeah, I'm sixteen.

I have a 5 month progress in the pic section, if you want to check it.