A Great back routine

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Hey bros -
Been experimenting with a new back routine (an old school simple back routine actually) but Ive seen dramatic increase in strength and mass in the past three weeks in my dorsal reigon, so I thought Id share it:)

Warmup - 5-10 minutes cardio
Rotator cuff warm up (5lb dumbell)

Rest Pause Chins

I do these in sets of 25 until I reach 75 reps.

First set, Ill start off wide grip on a straight bar and do as many as I can, slow and controlled (like a 2/0/3 count) when I cant squeeze out another rep, Ill drop and stretch my lats for about 15 seconds. Then keep doing reps until I hit 25.

Take a 2 minute break, get a drink, etc.

Now, go to close, palms in grip and do the same thing. Do as many reps as you can, drop and stretch for 15 secs, repeat until 25.

Take 2 minutes

Now switch to close (narrower than shoulder width and over hand) grip and do the same thing. At this point I can only squeeze out about 8, then I get to 25 2-3 reps at a time with a 4 second negative.

Now rest 2-4 minutes and head over to the squat rack for bent over rows.
Do these for 3 sets of 12,10,8 with strict form and a good 1-2 second squeeze at the top of the movement for a 2/2/4 rep speed.

Finally, Deadlifts. 3 sets of 10,8,6 squeezing the traps at the top. I do full reps, setting the bar on the floor. (not touch and go)

By this time, the muscles in my back were quivering like my quads after 20 rep squats!!

I finished out the workout with 3 sets of Hammer Strength preacher curls, again with a 2 second squeeze and 4 second negative on every rep. My bi's were hammered after the chins and rows, and after the curls they felt like they were going to rip out of my skin!

I hit calves too at the end, but that's only if you want to.

I think doing chinups like that would be too high of a volume to do all the time, but 3 - 4 weeks of it should shock the lats into growth. When I started this 3 weeks ago, I had just got back into training after a 2 month hiatus recovering from an injury. I could only squeeze out 11 reps at first, and I did sets to 50, last week to 60, and this week to 75. I did 22 chins today during the first part of the first set. Ive also added 20 lbs to the rows, and 50 lbs to the deads. (keep in mind Im also just shooting back up the the strength I was at back in september before I hurt myself, so there's some muscle memory going on here as well)

You can blast out this routine in about an hour and half, warm up included.

Next week Im shooting for 30 chins for the first set without a pause, Ill do sets to 85-90. The next week, Im going to let my back rest up with a low volume day and then start adding weight to the chinups (with less volume).
Give it a try if you're looking for a change on back day!!

Take care,
BigV

TheChosen1

TheChosen1

Awards
It looks like an awesome workout that I'm going to try once I return to the gym.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Nice! Hope it works for you...after hitting this routine for 3 weeks, and then switching the heavy/lower volume - I noticed a definate increase in lat width and overall mass, and strength shot right up to where it should be:)