speed

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
What speed does everyone use on the treadmill to optimally preserve the most muscle while of course burning fat? Is there a threshold that you can stay under so no muscle is lost(assuming enough calories are in place). I am currently using 2.3 MPH.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I dont know if its so much speed as it is your heart rate. I havent started cutting yet - so I havent read up on it, but I believe there's a 'target heart rate' that you want to maintain for a certain amount of time to optimize fat burning.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
I have done pretty well in the past with a sprint 30 sec / walk or jog 30 sec to a minute.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
You don't really need to spend that long on it either 15 to 20 minutes first thing in the morning on an empty stomach worked well for me.

MaddCapp

Awards
DC suggests a 45 min. walk aiming for 2.5 miles or so, first thing in the AM, on an incline or with resistance (treadmill). His reasoning is that running actually breaks down hard-earned muscle. Not sure if that's true or not ... but apparently he doesn't have any problem getting his trainees ripped while retaining LBM -

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I've always heard 15-20 minutes of interval training is the way to go.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
worked well for me........ any amount of too much cardio will break down muscle. Of course if you throw juice into the equation I'm sure you'll keep a lot more muscle than you normally would.
Look at sprinters they have a good amount of muscle. Marathon runners often look like they have very little muscle and often look like they have a wasting disease.