CHEST HELP!!!-tris getting it all..

S

shotdead42

Awards
Title explains it, when im doing chest i REALLY feel my tris are getting the most out of it.

I do get a HUGE pump in my chest and it looks MASSIVE, and so does my tris.
But like days later when im on recovery mode... i feel like my chest just isn't growing...

PLEASE help anyone?

also i have another problem... when i do biceps, everything i do i feel the HUGE MASSIVE pump in my forearms and like barely anything in my biceps.

When im curling i cant do anymore cause my forearms are getting sore.. and not my biceps??!!!! wut the heck! help?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Uh...well I can't really tell you what to do without seeing what you're doing...but a few things that I've done.

Work with lighter weight.

Think about what you're doing (mind/muscle is real)

Open with something like flies to get your pecs fired up.

Open with a few sets of dips to tire your triceps and force your pecs to activate during your main lifts.

Keep your chest pushed out, traps pushed in to the pad, drive through your feet.

As for your biceps, try using a hook grip. And 'lift with your elbows,' not your hands. Try different variations like zottman's, hammer curls, incline curls, etc.

S

shotdead42

Awards
im doing chest tomorrow, like i usually do
Im trying to build up more upper chest and stuff, you think i need to do decline?

1.bench press (bar)
2.incline press (bar)
3.fly's flat (dumbbell)
4.fly's incline (dumbbell)
5.cables (theres like 3 types for this)
6.Dips

thats basicly what i usually do, oh and then tris... but i dont need to worry about them lol.

For my its like, i can easily get Tris, But sooo hard for me to get chest and bis....Im asian so i don't think i've seen my biceps peak ever.... it makes me sad =(

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
With bench it sounds like your form may be off and your grip might be too narrow, there are many videos you can peruse to see what your are doing wrong. If you require more assistance, film and post it so we can critique it.
With biceps it sounds like you are using an ez curl bar instead of a straight bar which would take a lot of the emphasis off your biceps and shift it to your forearms.

PS too many exercises for chest. Pick 3 and limit the sets to 6-10.

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
when you do bench and incline bench focus on the bottom 2/3 of the movement, dont extend your arms all the way to lockout. This keeps the tension on my chest the whole time. Try it.

YouTube- Brandon Curry- Chest

S

shotdead42

Awards
when you do bench and incline bench focus on the bottom 2/3 of the movement, dont extend your arms all the way to lockout. This keeps the tension on my chest the whole time. Try it.

ill deff try that.
and
TheLastRonin-ill try and improve the movements i do, and hopefully works out.... if not ill think bout posting a video. But do you think theres too many chest exerciseS? i only spend like 1 hour and 1 hour 15 min max.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Except keep your head on the bench the entire time. That helps to keep your scapulae adducted and keep the tension on the chest instead of the delts.

strester

strester

Awards
  • Established
Lots of good tips here ...

for me, each rep I drive w/ my feet and press my head and traps back into the bench ... also, for grip width I usually keep my middle finger in the groove in the knurl on the bar ... puts me a bit outside of shoulder-width and I really feel the chest stretch when I come down ... don't forget to squeeze the chest at the top (mind/muscle)

good luck w/ any of the adjustments you make

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
- Try to widen your grip on the bench press

- Try no thumb grip (I think this is dangerous for bench, but it helps take stress off other muscles. Works well for straight barbell curls)

- Try an isolation exercise before your bench press (get the blood pumping)

These are three things that come to my mind that may make a difference.

Z

zootiesgroove

Awards
Title explains it, when im doing chest i REALLY feel my tris are getting the most out of it.
I do get a HUGE pump in my chest and it looks MASSIVE, and so does my tris.
But like days later when im on recovery mode... i feel like my chest just isn't growing...
PLEASE help anyone?
try pre-fatiguing your chest first. Start with isolated chest flies before bench. Also try changing your grip (close, wide, etc) to try to target different areas of your chest. really try to put your mind inside your chest and add an extra "flex" at the top of each rep.

Just a few thoughts.

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
I have similar problems for biceps and found 21's to be the answer for me. Partial reps followed by full range of motion.

As for chest I've used ace-bandages to wrap my chest so i can "feel" when my chest muscles constantly and tell right away if they are fully contracted.

S

shotdead42

Awards
Hey everyone, REALLY thanks for all the tips and everything!!! really appreciate it.

So i just came back from the gym and i tried to follow all of ur tips.
Ok so i did the movements that you guys showed me here: YouTube- Brandon Curry- Chest . I feel this REALLY helped put more on my chest.

I then did flys, not only did i stretch the hell outa my chest i really squeezed it and had my MIND really thinking on contracting my chest. And used the force in my feet to really push the reps out(dont know how to explain it...but lol u guys know what i mean)

Same with cables i really had my mind really concentrating on my chest rather then my arms...

Heres where i knew that this REALLY helped(i hope)lol.... I allways do DIPS-wide grip(i cross my legs so it does more of my chest) toward the endish workout, and i usually do like a good 16, around there....I couldnt even do 1 LOL well i did 1 1/2.. my chest deff felt it.... now to FEAST

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
Cool man, good job
Hey everyone, REALLY thanks for all the tips and everything!!! really appreciate it.

So i just came back from the gym and i tried to follow all of ur tips.
Ok so i did the movements that you guys showed me here: YouTube- Brandon Curry- Chest . I feel this REALLY helped put more on my chest.

I then did flys, not only did i stretch the hell outa my chest i really squeezed it and had my MIND really thinking on contracting my chest. And used the force in my feet to really push the reps out(dont know how to explain it...but lol u guys know what i mean)

Same with cables i really had my mind really concentrating on my chest rather then my arms...

Heres where i knew that this REALLY helped(i hope)lol.... I allways do DIPS-wide grip(i cross my legs so it does more of my chest) toward the endish workout, and i usually do like a good 16, around there....I couldnt even do 1 LOL well i did 1 1/2.. my chest deff felt it.... now to FEAST

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
do some cable fly's theyll hit your chest and nothing but it. or DB fly's

Last edited:
AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Glad to see everyone's advice helped. Keep up the good work.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
Optimal total time for workouts is 45-47 minutes. After that your cortisol levels rise tremendously.
I agree. 45 minutes seems to be the sweet spot for me, but I usually need another 15 minutes to complete my workout. :drive:

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
I agree. 45 minutes seems to be the sweet spot for me, but I usually need another 15 minutes to complete my workout. :drive:
You gotta up the rage factor Tony!!!:AR15firing: Git R Dun! :drillsergeant:

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
Guillotine Press works really well for me; probably should have a spotter if you're gonna try them though.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
ill deff try that.
and
TheLastRonin-ill try and improve the movements i do, and hopefully works out.... if not ill think bout posting a video. But do you think theres too many chest exerciseS? i only spend like 1 hour and 1 hour 15 min max.
Yes, if your goal is to increase strength and mass it is. You will be able to focus on the sets and reps you do have with more intensity. As mentioned optimal workout time is around 45 min. When you do your reps don't just rep out..make sure when you get your 6,8,10 whatever, that you can only get that number , if you can do more increase the weight.

Jurassic

Jurassic

Awards
I had this problem when I first started, could have been a form issue, or it could have been me not used to the muscle being worked in that way.
You could try going really light to warm up and focus on contracting the chest as you move up to full working set weight.

You could also try to change your form, i'm not sure what it's like now but use your feet as a firm base even with your hips, arch your back slight and squeeze your shoulder blades back. That worked for me.

DEE151

DEE151

Awards
awhile back wen i did bies i would get a huge pump in my forarms. but today ido not get that at all any more.
as for chest cables are great but if you want to put some mass on your chest BenchPress is were it is at. go heavy. i like to do 3 sets of ten but heavy ass sets.

S

shotdead42

Awards
THANKS EVERYONE!!!!,

awhile back wen i did bies i would get a huge pump in my forarms. but today ido not get that at all any more.
as for chest cables are great but if you want to put some mass on your chest BenchPress is were it is at. go heavy. i like to do 3 sets of ten but heavy ass sets.
Did u figure out what caused the huge pump in forearms and not biceps? and how u fix it?

again thanks everyone for there advice, dont worry i read everyone of u guys advice!! thanks again.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
THANKS EVERYONE!!!!,

Did u figure out what caused the huge pump in forearms and not biceps? and how u fix it?

again thanks everyone for there advice, dont worry i read everyone of u guys advice!! thanks again.
Ronin already gave you the advice. Stop using the EZ curl bar you are most likely using and use a straight one. If you are not then it means you have some pretty weak forearms and should work on your dead lift, farmers walk and get some heavy grips.

S

shotdead42

Awards
Ronin already gave you the advice. Stop using the EZ curl bar you are most likely using and use a straight one. If you are not then it means you have some pretty weak forearms and should work on your dead lift, farmers walk and get some heavy grips.
my forearms are pretty strong, i think compared to my biceps, and i never use ez curl bar, if i use a bar its allways straight

but i do, do hammer curl to a bicep curl, like i start out going up as a hammer and turn it into a bicep curl up top.... which prob using my forearm to move it rite?

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
my forearms are pretty strong, i think compared to my biceps, and i never use ez curl bar, if i use a bar its allways straight

but i do, do hammer curl to a bicep curl, like i start out going up as a hammer and turn it into a bicep curl up top.... which prob using my forearm to move it rite?
Yes, that works the forearm to a great extent. If you are doing these first in your work out then do them last. If your forearms are burning out before your biceps do them every other workout and substitute something else.