best workout for size and strength?

paul3371

Awards
I have heard deadlifts are the best and i just put them in my program. What do u think is the best workout to put on some size? I just don't get the burn from the deadlifts as much as other workouts.

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There is no "best" workout for size and strentgh. Ronnie Colmans program has help made him a monster. You would probably get smaller an weaker on it every week. lifting is a VERY individulaized thing. Read everything you can about training for "average" lifters, nit what the pro's are doing. Then pick a basic reoutine that has you in the gym no more than three days a week doing basic compound movements. Until you ae benching 250-275 for reps, and squatting and deadlifting with 350-450 for reps there is no damn reason in the world to be doing 3 excercises a bodypart and a whole bunch of sets.

Iron Addict

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Paul, check out Iron Addicts site www.ironaddicts.com . He has some good reads on workouts for size/strength etc., along with a lot of other useful information.

paul3371

Awards
There is no "best" workout for size and strentgh. Ronnie Colmans program has help made him a monster. You would probably get smaller an weaker on it every week. lifting is a VERY individulaized thing. Read everything you can about training for "average" lifters, nit what the pro's are doing. Then pick a basic reoutine that has you in the gym no more than three days a week doing basic compound movements. Until you ae benching 250-275 for reps, and squatting and deadlifting with 350-450 for reps there is no damn reason in the world to be doing 3 excercises a bodypart and a whole bunch of sets.

Iron Addict
I think my workout program is in check. I have been reading about DC's style of training and have been doing that for a month and I'm loving it. I used to do endless sets per bodypart and just work it out once a week and though i have pretty good size it did not match up withhow much time and effort i put in the gym. I don't think I will ever go back to that type of training again.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
You probably not going to want to hear this but you need to experiment and see what works for you. Every one is different. Do not be afraid to experiment either. Allot of people talk about over training like it's AIDS. What works for me might not work for you. Do not take any one person's advise as gospel. There are people on here that do great on a low volume HIT type of training protocol and get results. That type of training regimen never worked for me personally. Also remember that no routine will produce results forever. It's best to change it up every month or so. Also, stay away from the routines in bodybuilding mags. Many times it's not really how they train any way.That being said it has been my experience that free weights and compound movement will produce the best muscle gain. Stick with Bench press, squats, dead lifts ect. So pretty much any exercise that makes you feel like your going to throw up after wards is the way to go. Stay away from machines and isolation exercises. Keep your work outs under 45 minutes ( not including a warm up). Also if you are just starting out which it appears you are DO NOT take steroids or prohormones. I have seen many people who say they can't grow until they started the x routine. What they fail to mention is they started taking steroids on the x routine. For some reason it never occurred to them that maybe it's the steroids and not the routine that is giving them the gains. Then they think that they x routine is the only way to train and anyone that trains differently is wrong. Learn to grow naturally before you consider anything like that. Read as much as you can about training.

Mcelis323

Mcelis323

Awards
Well said ^, my advice,read on techniques like 5x5, drop sets,pyramids,etc, add the big 7 to your routine and experiment

TexasGuy

Awards
Paul,

DoggCrapp, which I think you are referring to with DC, is an excellent routine for size and strength.

As far as specific lifts go, it's hard to say. Lifts that stimulate as many muscle groups as possible would be your answer. Squats, deads, olympic style lifts...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Holy thread resurrection. OP was in 2004.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
hahaha!

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
lol dafuqs happening in here? bumped an almost decade-old thread

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
We've all done it. Do a search on something and than post in that thread forgetting that it isn't current.

Sent from my iPhone