Is supinating your hand a waste of time for DB curls?

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
It's often said that supinating your hands while doing DB curls will really "peak" your biceps. Well, assuming you believe that peaks are the results of genetics and not exercises, is supinating a waste of time? Would one be better off sticking to normal BB curls or just regular DB curls keeping your palms facing foward throughout the movement?
Supination has a definite purpose and is not something you want to leave out of your program.Having said that, it will not "add more to your peaks." It will just insure full development of what is already there.

Rock Lee

Awards
It's often said that supinating your hands while doing DB curls will really "peak" your biceps. Well, assuming you believe that peaks are the results of genetics and not exercises, is supinating a waste of time? Would one be better off sticking to normal BB curls or just regular DB curls keeping your palms facing foward throughout the movement?

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I really like the feeling I get in the biceps when using supinated dumbbell curls where I rotate my wrist to straighten the dumbbell at the top of the rep. This however lead to a wrist injury, whether tendon or ligament related, which I'm still recovering from. I suspect my wrist wasn't strong enough to support the weight I was curling, as my strength was rapidly increasing on a m1t cycle.

Ceaze

Awards
supination is keeping your palms forward

Rock Lee

Awards
You're right...hopefully you know what I mean though.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
The biceps has 2 physiological functions, to flex the arm & to supinate the wrist. To truly work the bicep to it's fullest, some say that you must train both functions. I honestly don't notice a difference with or without, but there has to be some benefit to it. The peak is determined by genetics.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
You also want to keep in mind that when you flex the arm with your hands protinated the prime mover is the bicep brachialis. When you do the same with hands supinated, the prime mover is bicep brachi (sp?) I can't spell worth a ****, but I know my kinesiology.

dude

Awards
You also want to keep in mind that when you flex the arm with your hands protinated the prime mover is the bicep brachialis. When you do the same with hands supinated, the prime mover is bicep brachi (sp?) I can't spell worth a ****, but I know my kinesiology.
Actually you have it reversed. Normal everday elbow flexion involves the brachialis muscle. It is considered the prime mover of elbow flexion. When you supinate your wrist you are calling in the biceps brachii. If you keep your wrist in the neutral position then you can target more brachioradialis.