behind the neck barbell presses for delts.

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

behind the neck barbell presses for delts.

anyone do them?

Im trying to concentrate on my rear delts alittle more.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  264 lbs.

yes. watch your shoulder they can be hard on them. for rear delts i like barbell rear delt rows and lying rear delt raises.i feel behind the neck press hit middle delt and traps a little morethen your rear.also when i do my lying rear delt raises i supper set in a kick back move but keep your arm straight just like a front lateral raise but to the rear will your lying on your stomach.it is hard to keep the tris out of it but when you get you will know.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dcf143 View Post
    anyone do them?

Im trying to concentrate on my rear delts alittle more.
    I actually just read an article on this in last months flex....the study they did explaining how they are bad for your shoulders was kind of bias, they're for was incorrect....
    If you lean forward not quite to a 45 and dont go any lower than parellel the strain on your shoulders is greatly reduced, i still incorporate them in...
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by RCL86 View Post
    I actually just read an article on this in last months flex....the study they did explaining how they are bad for your shoulders was kind of bias, they're for was incorrect....
    If you lean forward not quite to a 45 and dont go any lower than parellel the strain on your shoulders is greatly reduced, i still incorporate them in...

i think im going to give them a shoot, atleast for a little time on the smith machine, and see what happens.
  5. cmc
    Stats
    5'9"  193 lbs.

I still use them. It's hard to find a good bench for these so for the past while Ive been doing them in the Smith rack. The last time I was using a seated bench, the idiot I grabbed to spot me (non Smith) was day dreaming when I needed a spot and almost blew out a shoulder. I was ready to beat him when the weight was reracked.

It was mentioned, just dont go below parallel and you will be fine. I'm up to set of 8 for 185llbs and increasing. It is a solid exercise. After doing them you can perform this stretch..stand and place your knuckles on your hip, elbows bent, arm to the side, fingers pointing towards your back. Then take your free arm and pull straight forward at the elbow. This should stretch the rear part of the delt nicely.

Follow up with a rear delt exercise..one of my favorites..lay on your side on the bench. Using one arm, dumbell (15-25lbs), raise the dumbell from the floor--upwards. Keep the arm straight and thumbs down throughout the entire movement. Dont let the dumbell rest on the floor at the bottom of the movement to keep tension on the rear delt. The exercise is similar to a dual arm dumbell reverse flye but has better positioning to hit the rear delt better. It blows mine up.

All in all, my shoulders are strong, healthy, and flexible, and Ive always done behind the head barbell presses.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  180 lbs.

I have done them in the past. Not really a big fan. They put a lot of stress on my actual shoulder tendon. Left me in pain for 2 days after.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  210 lbs.

they used to make us do these for hs football... it would be one of our maxes.. i still remember junior yr.. i had 255 on there and was maxing.. went down below parrell and the dikc head coach making me do it over 3 times cause i wasnt going low enough.. i know how ridiculously bad those are for your rotators now when trying to max out.. keep it at moderate weight and good form and they do wonders for the entire shoulder region tho
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Good exercise for deltoids but horrible exercise for rotator cuff.

seriously do them if you want an injury or messed up shoulders

I did them for a while and as I got stronger ALWAYS ended up with an injury with this exercise. Ive tried this exercise many times over the years and every time an injury happens. This exercise is just not for me.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by RCL86 View Post
    I tried doing this last year and it worked for a while until i got stronger than a minor injury so i cut them
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  10. UKStrength

I've always done them, but my shoulder flexibility has always been good so they don't cause any aggravation to the rotator cuff. Definitely warm up well before attempting them though.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  225 lbs.

tnation has had some very sweet writeups recently where they use a emg machine to measure neural/muscle activity during exercises so to see how much of the muscle is actually being recruited. For the shoulders exercise the behind the head press was one of the top activating exercises.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...trap_exercises

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...ceps_exercises
  12. cmc
    Stats
    5'9"  193 lbs.

If you can find it, the 7 minute rotator cuff solution written by Health for Life explained in in depth the myths behind this exercise and why it is actually a good exercise. Find it and read it. Most injuries that I have seen were a result from incorrect movements(going too low) and not having a spotter help to rack the barbell. In fact, a lot if injuries occur from the lifter lifting a heavy barbell from the rack...have a spotter assist with that until you are in position.....this may only apply to certain benches and their bar rack placement.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.

I don't understand. Behind the neck presses feel natural and good for me whereas in front of the head presses feel dangerously awkward on my shoulders - like there's a weird stress that my joint is going to pop out.

My shoulders are also very tight and inflexible. I don't know if I'm just shaped differently or what.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Neck pain doing leg presses...
    By fst89lx in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-22-2013, 09:07 PM
  2. Neck Presses vs. Incline Presses
    By hitsquaddd in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 01:31 PM
  3. Neck Presses for Upper Chest
    By Type O Hero in forum Training Forum